Security Installer Community

Problem with ssaib installer

charlotte12

Hi all, 

New member here.

I'm hoping somebody can help me. Sorry if this is long but trying to give the detail to build the picture....

In 2009 I had a Eurosec system installed by an SSAIB approved company. No issues.

In 2016 I moved into a new home and had a LightSys2 based system installed. In the following months I realised I had not been provided with a Certificate Of Conformity. I queried this by phone call and email a couple of times but it was clear I was being fobbed off for real reasons unknown. Reason given being computer problems, backlogged etc. This was by the business owner who also does installs.

I let it go for a while. A year after the install, expecting a reminder letter for maintenance, no letter arrived. I rang up and arranged a date for the maintenance to be carried out. Owner guy sends out someone who works for him. I explained that I never got a Certificate and he agreed I should have had one and would chase it up. I waited but I heard and received nothing. 

Same story this year, no reminder, I arrange maintenance It's like my system hasn't been registered on his system. The owner sends out his colleague. I again explain I haven't been sent Certificate. I asked for quote for some new sensors. He took my email address and said he'd sort the cert and quote with his boss. No email turned up so I emailed boss man who said he was waiting for me to tell him how many sensors. I told his mate there was 4. His mate is pretty switched on so I doubt he didn't tell him there was 4. Anyway, I replied and again asked for the certificate. 

Now boss man is point blank refusing to reply to my emails. I've since emailed him earlier today asking if he can provide me with the engineer code so I can move to a different ssaib approved installer. I was giving him the opportunity to get rid of me as a customer if he thinks I am a problem! Can't see why I am other than wanting a certificate he clearly can't provide. I could ring him but I'd rather have things down on email for proof and I don't really want to be intimidated on the phone or simply hung up on and blocked.

I've gotten in touch with the ssaib website and they've told me to lodge a complaint. To be honest I don't really want to do that as I feel like the installer has me over a barrel. If I upset him and I don't get the engineer code (it's not 1111 as I've checked it) then my system will sooner or later run into problems.

I've got wireless PIRs and magnetic door sensors that have just had their batteries replaced but I'm due to refurb the entire house next year so I'll want to be able to remove the sensors but the tamper alarm will be triggered won't it? Will the internal alarm be triggered or the full system?

Is there a way of obtaining the engineer code or resetting it? Will a different ssaib company be able to, without the engineer code, operate the system and maintain the system?

I don't want to give away the name of the company at this point.

Can anyone please advise anything?

Much appreciated and thanks,

Charlotte 

Hi and welcome, you dont need the engineers code to change co, any decent co will be able to change the code. Personally, we would always default and reprogram its the only way to know that its been commissioned correctly.

I would be very surprised if the co tells you his engineer code, as it compromises all of his customers.

You should also consider a NSI company as well as SSIAB, NSI used to be NACOSS which was the original inspectorate. NSI Silver is the equivalent to SSIAB, NSI gold are quality assured. 

32 minutes ago, charlotte12 said:

I've gotten in touch with the ssaib website and they've told me to lodge a complaint.

If don't complain your unlikely to get a cert, chances are the SSAIB want you to complain are they paid for every cert issued ;) 

• Like 1

Mr? Veritas God

1 minute ago, MrHappy said:

If don't complain your unlikely to get a cert, chances are the SSAIB want you to complain are they paid for every cert issued ;) 

If they are ssaib approved that is....

40 minutes ago, charlotte12 said:

Hi all, 

New member here.

I'm hoping somebody can help me. Sorry if this is long but trying to give the detail to build the picture....

In 2009 I had a Eurosec system installed by an SSAIB approved company. No issues.

In 2016 I moved into a new home and had a LightSys2 based system installed. In the following months I realised I had not been provided with a Certificate Of Conformity. I queried this by phone call and email a couple of times but it was clear I was being fobbed off for real reasons unknown. Reason given being computer problems, backlogged etc. This was by the business owner who also does installs.

I let it go for a while. A year after the install, expecting a reminder letter for maintenance, no letter arrived. I rang up and arranged a date for the maintenance to be carried out. Owner guy sends out someone who works for him. I explained that I never got a Certificate and he agreed I should have had one and would chase it up. I waited but I heard and received nothing. 

Same story this year, no reminder, I arrange maintenance It's like my system hasn't been registered on his system. The owner sends out his colleague. I again explain I haven't been sent Certificate. I asked for quote for some new sensors. He took my email address and said he'd sort the cert and quote with his boss. No email turned up so I emailed boss man who said he was waiting for me to tell him how many sensors. I told his mate there was 4. His mate is pretty switched on so I doubt he didn't tell him there was 4. Anyway, I replied and again asked for the certificate. 

Now boss man is point blank refusing to reply to my emails. I've since emailed him earlier today asking if he can provide me with the engineer code so I can move to a different ssaib approved installer. I was giving him the opportunity to get rid of me as a customer if he thinks I am a problem! Can't see why I am other than wanting a certificate he clearly can't provide. I could ring him but I'd rather have things down on email for proof and I don't really want to be intimidated on the phone or simply hung up on and blocked.

I've gotten in touch with the ssaib website and they've told me to lodge a complaint. To be honest I don't really want to do that as I feel like the installer has me over a barrel. If I upset him and I don't get the engineer code (it's not 1111 as I've checked it) then my system will sooner or later run into problems.

I've got wireless PIRs and magnetic door sensors that have just had their batteries replaced but I'm due to refurb the entire house next year so I'll want to be able to remove the sensors but the tamper alarm will be triggered won't it? Will the internal alarm be triggered or the full system?

Is there a way of obtaining the engineer code or resetting it? Will a different ssaib company be able to, without the engineer code, operate the system and maintain the system?

I don't want to give away the name of the company at this point.

Can anyone please advise anything?

Much appreciated and thanks,

Charlotte 

If he isn't approved that answers the cert question

Other than that , no company has to give you an engineer code , but you could pay them to do a hand over 

Seem your ready to DIY it , so then you don't need an installer?

Yellow man what's chances this system is locked? Or can a other installer get round that?

Hi all,

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and reply.

Interestingly I got an email from the installer this morning (perhaps he's seen this post) and now all of a sudden apparently my certificate will be posted early December (we shall see!). 

The company is definitely SSAIB certified I just think that the job I paid £595 cash for, I got a receipt and other paperwork, I suspect was still a fiddle job. It was never mentioned to me to be this. I'm wondering if he's got the jitters I'm going to complain and decided to try to get one in retrospect.

Either way, I feel a bit better that he's being a bit friendlier but time will tell.

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, charlotte12 said:

Hi all,

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and reply.

Interestingly I got an email from the installer this morning (perhaps he's seen this post) and now all of a sudden apparently my certificate will be posted early December (we shall see!). 

The company is definitely SSAIB certified I just think that the job I paid £595 cash for, I got a receipt and other paperwork, I suspect was still a fiddle job. It was never mentioned to me to be this. I'm wondering if he's got the jitters I'm going to complain and decided to try to get one in retrospect.

Either way, I feel a bit better that he's being a bit friendlier but time will tell.

Thanks.

Yes great he's on the ball, now you know you can't get engineers code so easy and have no choice but to pay someone , it's great he's back on track and your persistence has paid off

It wouldn't be normal for an installer to give out the engineers code, other systems may use the same one so for security reasons it would be kept private to that installer.

Depending on the situation installer may come out to default the code (FOC or more likely for a call out fee). Unless the panel has a locked NVM you wouldn't need the engineering code to switch your maintenance.

Anyway before all that the first port of call is to check on the SSAIB website that the company in question is SSAIB approved. If they are not report them to SSAIB for this false claim.

As above you should contact SSAIB if you don't get the service you expect, it's in SSAIB's interests to have your certificate issued to it's likely to get resolved quickly.

The benefit of using an approved company is you can contact the Inspectorate if you are unhappy with any outcome of any complaints regarding the company. Same for either SSAIB or NSI approved companies.