Security Installer Community

Hive and ring

Sirtoddius

I got a ring when it first came out, it wasnt very reliable, and the app drained my phone battery super fast. I sent it back and got my money back, I have a cheapo Chinese ring doorbell now, its no more reliable than the ring (on my smartphone) but it was £170.00 cheaper. 

Rings TV ad should be done under the trades description because they are no way that good, unless you happen to be on WiFi LOL.

This sort of kit is okay as a gimmick but at the moment its not reliable enough. It will get there with 5g, but I wouldnt trust it to protect my house.  

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

I got a ring when it first came out, it wasnt very reliable, and the app drained my phone battery super fast. I sent it back and got my money back, I have a cheapo Chinese ring doorbell now, its no more reliable than the ring (on my smartphone) but it was £170.00 cheaper. 

Rings TV ad should be done under the trades description because they are no way that good, unless you happen to be on WiFi LOL.

This sort of kit is okay as a gimmick but at the moment its not reliable enough. It will get there with 5g, but I wouldnt trust it to protect my house.  

I think the hikvision bell with wired bell connection is good 

And if you have a bit more money then the comlit vista which has an onboard relay is good to 

But both versions are an electrician nightmare lol , but they seem to fit the Veritas ok lol

Ring is just made for the diyers especially the WiFi version on battery pack , you unplug it charge it put it back , other version is two wires and your done 

• Upvote 1

I've got the ring pro and can't fault it. it's used solely as a doorbell which lets me know when someone rings it and has on a few occasions been useful for when parcels have been attempted to be delivered. Can't fault it really 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Sirtoddius said:

I'm seeing a lot of people fitting these diy systems. Nest  do cctv cameras now that iv seen popping up in a few places. They are not cheap either. 

Plenty CCTV even the mobile phone operators getting in on the action

Decent CCTV systems dying trade 

I've always said resi cctv (and some comm) is useless in most scenarios, have a look at all the cctv of van theft and break in's, every scroat expects it and covers appropriately.

The police are not interested in it, my sister in law had an accident last December, non fault and all caught on dashcam as clear as day. They got a letter 2 weeks ago saying they were suggesting knock for knock as there were no witnesses, they'd not even reviewed it. (I know dashcam footage is different but the sentiment is the same)

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

38 minutes ago, norman said:

I've always said resi cctv (and some comm) is useless in most scenarios, have a look at all the cctv of van theft and break in's, every scroat expects it and covers appropriately.

The police are not interested in it, my sister in law had an accident last December, non fault and all caught on dashcam as clear as day. They got a letter 2 weeks ago saying they were suggesting knock for knock as there were no witnesses, they'd not even reviewed it. (I know dashcam footage is different but the sentiment is the same)

Three times my domestic CCTV has helped me out, neighbors hit my car on two occasions, kids breaking into cars down the road came onto my drive and were identified. Three times at my business premises, mirror knocked off my car, kids attempted break in, and fly tippers here. All caught and prosecuted apart from the mirror the company whos van it was paid for a new one.

Most I've had was the neighbour putting his rubbish in my bin.

Talking about hit and runs, brother in law's cctv picked up a neighbour keying another neighbours Alfa, again the police wouldn't take action as they said it was only a probability even though you could see he came out of his house and walked right up to the car and down the side then went back inside. They interviewed him and he denied it so they wouldn't pursue it until bil's neighbour got the local MP involved.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Police see it as a waste of time taking most CCTV evidence to court, especially if the perp has a good barrister.

Seems to mostly be used as part of other supporting evidence. Fitted a couple of systems as part of a joint LA/Police scheme in an area, they collected evidence over several months before they would even consider court proceedings.  

DIY stuff you may as well save your money, your unlikely to get a clear enough image of anything useful and will certainly not stand up in court.

This tat provides a false sense of security, that may lead to you being less secure.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aissecur said:

I've got the hik door bell, its within three meters of the router and it sends more time off line than it does on....

I'm have thinking of taking it back as it certainly doesn't perform the way I expected

Get better installer

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, aissecur said:

EE's own (I had a EE brightbox previously then that went t*ts up so got their latest one about a year ago)

Would have to look in the loft to confirm....

Are you possibly suggesting digging deep for a new router?

Digging deep for new installer perhaps

But just wondering why it's dropping out so much , figured must be the dodgy router , pretty sure the hkc WiFi doesn't like the ee routers either .....

I am an installer so unsure on the comment??

I'm unsure myself on the cause, I'm thinking possibly a dodgy router or dodgy Hik doorbell  (It is fibre broadband but that wont make a difference) - maybe a call to EE or failing that purchase a better router...

Anyone any suggestions on routers?

2 hours ago, aissecur said:

I am an installer so unsure on the comment??

I'm unsure myself on the cause, I'm thinking possibly a dodgy router or dodgy Hik doorbell  (It is fibre broadband but that wont make a difference) - maybe a call to EE or failing that purchase a better router...

Anyone any suggestions on routers?

Seriously you are trade? You should apply for trade side loads of nonsense on that side 

2 hours ago, james.wilson said:

al can you see his green badge?

What green badge?

Just now, al-yeti said:

What green badge?

You know I messing with him yeah?

Edited by al-yeti

55 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

sorry i didn't know you two were. 

Your funny , i actually edited, hoping you wouldn't have a retort, not realising I didn't edit it enuf

Never mess with a monkey eh?