Security Installer Community

GT490X fault - no repair apparently possible

Just to add to my previous post I would in your shoes look ask for a GSM dialler as PSTN lines are to be all cancelled in favor of SIP by 2025 so you could be looking for a new form of signalling in a couple of years anyway.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I wish they had read their own documentation and clocked what was installed at my house before turning up for the annual check.

I had not thought to ask them about carrying out an actual connection to my mobile - just assumed they checked the generation of tones - careless of me... 

Would a GSM dialler not require a monthly contract?  Or is there a special arrangement for alarm and similar systems?

Can you enlarge on the PSTN cancellation?  If all voice trunk comms goes over to SIP (which is a logical step...) will we not still have a twisted pair to our houses using traditional voice protocols between the house and the local exchange?  (I just can't see BT giving each PSTN line subscriber a new SIP phone to replace the present array of handsets... )

BT will be providing new phones to everyone as I understand it (I already have SIP at home and at work) https://news.openreach.co.uk/pressreleases/openreach-to-consult-communication-provider-customers-on-switch-to-digital-phone-services-by-2025-2507133

We also have customers that have already been changed over here in Sussex on IP/GSM signalling, thats all we are installing now no PSTN  

As a rule we dont sell diallers so for us they are an exception to the rule, ideally you should be walk testing and checking your alarm works regularly anyway. Electronics has a habit of going wrong and unless you check it how are you going to know if it works. But like most things people never do, how many people check there lights work before driving their car.

There is a "Special Services" port on their hub which is meant for diallers and digis, but how well that will work, and what happens if the power is cut is a bit sketchy.

GSM works on a PAYG SIM or some companies do have deals with service providers, if you search around you can get some really good SIM only contract deals 

1 hour ago, interestedamateur said:

Yes, I wish they had read their own documentation and clocked what was installed at my house before turning up for the annual check.

I had not thought to ask them about carrying out an actual connection to my mobile - just assumed they checked the generation of tones - careless of me... 

Would a GSM dialler not require a monthly contract?  Or is there a special arrangement for alarm and similar systems?

Can you enlarge on the PSTN cancellation?  If all voice trunk comms goes over to SIP (which is a logical step...) will we not still have a twisted pair to our houses using traditional voice protocols between the house and the local exchange?  (I just can't see BT giving each PSTN line subscriber a new SIP phone to replace the present array of handsets... )

Listen dude 

Even if the existing dialler doesn't work you can get an external connect to bell output and your done , GSM payasyou or monthly sin of your choice

Or rip thing out and get something more upto date as app systems although cost initially only £x per month approx 

All long winded for no reason 

3 hours ago, interestedamateur said:

If they are now happy to offer repair capability of the new control panels for 20 years,

If it sounds too good to be true....

In twenty yrs are they going to be in business?

Is the manufacturer of their controls going to be in business?

Is the EN standard of the panels & there detection devices going to change so devices produced now are still permitted in 20yrs time....

Pass experience tells me apart from new old stock on ebay 20yrs is very long time in alarms

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

Hi Al,,

Thanks very much for all your comments and advice - and that BT changeover to full digital by 2025 made especially interesting reading - ta!

Adding a dialler to the current control panel sounds good - will look at the insurance implications; they like a "professionally maintained" system...

Best to all,

IA

bear in mind a dialled isn't signalling. And as you have found out, the path isn't popped and you don't know if its working. I personally hate diallers. Better to use even a digi or sim based device that is polled

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

4 hours ago, interestedamateur said:

Hi Al,,

Thanks very much for all your comments and advice - and that BT changeover to full digital by 2025 made especially interesting reading - ta!

Adding a dialler to the current control panel sounds good - will look at the insurance implications; they like a "professionally maintained" system...

Best to all,

IA

Insurance is all nonsense , you don't set they don't pay , you don't maintain they don't pay 

All false that only insurance approved installers are best , you only really need that for police response nothing else , 

Try and get installer who is recommended plenty of companies around