Security Installer Community

GT490X fault - no repair apparently possible

Yes, it does have broadband - I have the normal twisted pair to the house.  The dialler worked while I was out of the house, so no actual BB activity at the time.  But when the engineer tested the dialler I was watching him, so no activity then either.  However, some transient BB activity could have sprung into life at any time, I suppose.  However, I would be surprised if the dialler did not have a BB filter; it must be a no-brainer for installers these days.

52 minutes ago, interestedamateur said:

I would be surprised if the dialler did not have a BB filter; it must be a no-brainer for installers these days.

I would be very surprised  if an ADSL filter was in place

Even more surprised is the line was in telephone cable

& proper shocked if the eng that came on site had a telephone set to test the line with....

Mr? Veritas God

1 hour ago, MrHappy said:

I would be very surprised  if an ADSL filter was in place

Even more surprised is the line was in telephone cable

& proper shocked if the eng that came on site had a telephone set to test the line with....

I still got my yellow bt butt phone as they would call it 

7 hours ago, al-yeti said:

I still got my yellow bt butt phone as they would call it 

Me too nothing like being 100% sure that the phone line is present and working and that you can phone from it. Its part of the diagnosis, and I would not be happy about condemning anything without being sure that I have explored all avenues.

IA if there is a ADSL filter fitted you would have seen it for sure. Mind you if it is the phone line and they change the panel, and it still doesn't work you have one a free panel, they wont put the old one back as it will take too long (Lab cost v Kit cost = cheaper to leave it there)  and they cant charge you for a new one because there was nothing wrong with your old one.  

Good thing on test phones is also the polarity switch , goes red or green so by can't blame installer after for wrong connections lol

I used to find some engineers get caught on the ringer not realising the test phone acts as a master so will always ring on the extension with number 3 being connected

Back to the topic 

Get a new panel

New engineer 

New company 

Or new external dialler 

And your done 

Reality many alarm panels need to be changed out move with times , some decorate every 10years so a new security system every 10 is good on residential aswell