Security Installer Community

Pricing £

Charge by the day, although I must say I find it hard to believe that you had not agreed a price with the sparks in the first place. I also find it hard to believe that he has taken you on without first agreeing the price. I quote a price for everything before I do it and agree a price with anyone I take on.

2 hours ago, Ray phillips said:

Hi all

I've been asked to 2nd fix a few alarm systems for an electrician I do work for for a small new build site. 

Systems consist of a panel, k/p, b/box 4x pir's

As I'm relatively new to alarms not sure what to charge and also don't want to devalue the industry.

TIA..

£300? In coins

11 hours ago, PeterJames said:

Charge by the day, although I must say I find it hard to believe that you had not agreed a price with the sparks in the first place. I also find it hard to believe that he has taken you on without first agreeing the price. I quote a price for everything before I do it and agree a price with anyone I take on.

He said he's been asked lol 

So what makes you think he started work without agreeing a price? Other work could be anything....

9 minutes ago, Ray phillips said:

The electrician has 1st fixed alarm cables with 1st fix electrical and Is currently to busy to 2nd fix. As he knows I am wanting to do alarms more he has asked me how much I would charge.

£350 in notes then 

21 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Doubt spark has left 350 in the job.

The obvious answer would be materials plus your daily rate, but I have a feeling you are after more of a figure then advice?

Ok if there's 20sites £250 each

All I'm I'm trying to do is get an idea of what you guys would charge for a similar installation. It would be 5 sites in total all exactly the same regards kit content. Sparks will be supplying the kit so it will just be labour only. Also as I'm new to alarms and am gathering experience don't want to charge top dollar. Taking on board what you guys have said and speaking to some colleagues was thinking £200 per site.

7 hours ago, al-yeti said:

He said he's been asked lol 

So what makes you think he started work without agreeing a price? Other work could be anything....

Asked to do them, not asked how much to do them, and thats what made me think he was already doing them without agreeing how much 

3 hours ago, Ray phillips said:

All I'm I'm trying to do is get an idea of what you guys would charge for a similar installation. It would be 5 sites in total all exactly the same regards kit content. Sparks will be supplying the kit so it will just be labour only. Also as I'm new to alarms and am gathering experience don't want to charge top dollar. Taking on board what you guys have said and speaking to some colleagues was thinking £200 per site.

Question , if one kit fails who pays for return visit ?

18 hours ago, al-yeti said:

Question , if one kit fails who pays for return visit ?

15 hours ago, Ray phillips said:

Will cross that bridge as and when. 

15 hours ago, Ray phillips said:

I will mention it when give my price. Thanks for the advice.

He who supplies the kit is responsible for the warranty, Ray you do not have the original invoice for the kit so you have no way of returning it for replacement under warranty.

However, you are responsible for your own workmanship, if you do a crap job with lots of loose wires the sparks has every right to charge you for return visits. In my experience I never charge the subby, I just never use them again. So the moral is do a good job and you have nothing to worry about and you will get more work, do a crap job and you wont get any more work and you might get charged for return visits.

4 hours ago, steve121 said:

Day rate is the way IMO £350 per day

Sparky will only pay that if he's desperate and simple system how many could you do in 8hours?

Better per system , they do you over otherwise unless it's fixed contract 7days minimum as example you get paid regardless