Security Installer Community

New business, new member - a query

ross1

Hi from a new member in the process of setting up a new business. I've spent some time reading a lot of the information on the forum and there's clearly a lot of good info here! Hoping to tap into that as we get up and running.

One of the main queries I'm trying to work through at the moment is on system design i.e. should we cover every door and window downstairs with contacts, where should PIRs be placed etc. I've read 50131-7:2010 and BS8243 but wondered if there are any good online resources that discuss optimal system design with floor plan examples etc?

Thanks 

Ross

58 minutes ago, ross1 said:

Hi from a new member in the process of setting up a new business. I've spent some time reading a lot of the information on the forum and there's clearly a lot of good info here! Hoping to tap into that as we get up and running.

One of the main queries I'm trying to work through at the moment is on system design i.e. should we cover every door and window downstairs with contacts, where should PIRs be placed etc. I've read 50131-7:2010 and BS8243 but wondered if there are any good online resources that discuss optimal system design with floor plan examples etc?

Thanks 

Ross

I think do a course , being serious 

Apart from ra , it depends on customer budget , sometimes they can't afford even the basics 

15 hours ago, al-yeti said:

I think do a course , being serious 

Apart from ra , it depends on customer budget , sometimes they can't afford even the basics 

I've looked at a few course providers. Any recommendations? I just wonder where they get their system design information from. Are they generally experienced ex-engineers?

14 hours ago, PeterJames said:

Ross have you worked in this industry before, as an engineer fro example. Or are you just thinking you could just start up as an installer?

We're designing a new alarm system but will partner with experienced engineers for the installations. So the knowledge isn't for me to install directly as such, I'm just keen to make sure I understand the process.

24 minutes ago, ross1 said:

We're designing a new alarm system but will partner with experienced engineers for the installations. So the knowledge isn't for me to install directly as such, I'm just keen to make sure I understand the process.

As others suggest maybe

https://www.tavcom.com

7 hours ago, ross1 said:

Experience is everything in this industry, understanding what can cause false alarms, where not to point detectors etc and at the same time knowing where intruders could break in from, however unlikely it would seem. I would recommend that you talk with your experienced engineers, they can walk you around a building and give you some idea of a typical installation. Just be mindful that Area Building and Content (ABC) all make a difference to what protection level is required.