Security Installer Community

Pyronics/Castle fob on Paxton Net2

Jura

I have a client who needs a PC based access control system (preferably Paxton Net2) but insists that he has to use the fob that he currently uses for his Castle intruder alarm. 

I know that Paxton ACUs can accept various other readers, but does anyone know which Wiegand or Clock & Data reader will accept the Castle fobs? 

Thanks

Castle/Pyronix fobs are passworded, there are very few people who can supply you with readers that will work with their fobs.(Me being one of them) Although Paxton say that their controllers will work with any Weigand reader it has been my experience that this is simply not true. 

You could get dual tech fobs but, you would have to use Paxton Mifare readers, and the fobs your customer has already wont work with the readers.

How many doors are we talking?

This is for a wealthy client who is used to getting what they want and not accepting advice from experts. It's a very large property and various staff and family have alarm fobs but only two will have access to the two secure store rooms. He 

Thanks Peter, I haven't heard of dual-tech fobs, where can I get them? Fitting Mifare readers will be fine.

55 minutes ago, Amps said:

When it comes to fobs and readers I’m out of my depth. What exactly is the difference between Wiegand & Clock/Data? 

I don't actually know myself. Just that it's two different technologies that are commonly used in access control systems and that the Paxton system can handle either.

2 hours ago, PeterJames said:

How many do you need?

I only a few, in this instance,  but a regular source would be useful as it's something that other clients would appreciate, and could turn out to be a useful selling point.

Also, it won't be me that buys them, I'll have to pass the details to my firms Procurement Department. 

2 hours ago, Amps said:

What exactly is the difference between Wiegand & Clock/Data?

It's the data format used.

For example on a binary level, with clock and data every time the clock is high it reads the state of the data line. This allows a binary "message" to be send via two wires.

Wiegand uses one wire to send only lows (zero) and one line to send highs (one). This is normally all done with 5V and 0V in this stuff.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

It's the data format used.

For example on a binary level, with clock and data every time the clock is high it reads the state of the data line. This allows a binary "message" to be send via two wires.

Wiegand uses one wire to send only lows (zero) and one line to send highs (one). This is normally all done with 5V and 0V in this stuff.

Ok cheers. A little confusing but I guess ignorance is bliss sometimes :wacko:

5 hours ago, Jura said:

I only a few, in this instance,  but a regular source would be useful as it's something that other clients would appreciate, and could turn out to be a useful selling point.

Also, it won't be me that buys them, I'll have to pass the details to my firms Procurement Department. 

Ive pm'd you 

I do aspire to learn more. In this industry it seems one is constantly learning. 

Your answer was very informative and clear but I still need to get my head around it.

By ignorance is bliss I meant sometimes it better just to fit the stuff you know works and don’t bother too much about the technology.

If I understand the OP correctly it's probably not the best way to tackle the issue.

The customer will already have keypads and will likely wish to use part set or other features.

Also we are talking about a couple of isolated secure rooms potentially nowhere near the alarm controls. integrating that is a lot of work for less potentially less functionality.

I don't know the Castle well but if anything going that route I would expect the other way of having the secure rooms controlled by the intruder would make more sense.

If it where Texecom for example I would consider using door strike but it's depends what the customer needs, reporting logs etc.