Security Installer Community

Galaxy 500 firmware upgrade

Guest miketubby

Guest miketubby

Guys,

After being told by several people that my Galaxy 500 PCB with 2.31 n it couldn't be upgraded, I went out and acquired a new Galaxy 500 PCB with version 4.39 installed.

As I'm the curious sort, I decided to compare the PCBs, other than the date codes they both look identical and have part/revision code ZP1-0077-2.0 with the mod-level 0 slashed through

So, I pulled the 4.39 chip out of the new PCB and stuck it in the old one and fired her up <_< ... after about 20 seconds of beeping and flasing of the line of stars I finally got the "Configuring Please Wait" and then it dropped to "Alarm In Progress" :huh: So, I logged in and its full of tampers and O/C's for zones which we're programmed as spares (I was lazy and didn't put 1Ks on those zones), and the date and time had reset to Sun 01 Jan.

Other than that, it works just fine... so... why did I "need a new PCB" exactly? Looks like the only change is the EPROM <_<

So, I'm off to work in a bit to duplicate that version 4.39 EPROM and put it in my *spare* PCB ... hmmm... now I've got to Galaxy 500's with 4.39 in them :!:

Mike

Guest miketubby
the problems start when outputs sometimes fail to trigger,thats why you need the new pcb,

31105[/snapback]

Yeah, but... new PCB??? I've checked... they're identical in all respects... layout, components fitted, revision numbers, etc. The 'speacil' chips which are the Programmable Array Logic (PALs) for "address decode" and "RS485 decode" are the same versions also...

Okay, some of the capacitors are physically different, i.e. different manufacturer, but same value... other than that there's nothing, zip, nada, nil... between the old and the new board.

I would be suprised if I had any problems as you suggest.

I sugest that I have a Jul 2002 boatd with 2.31 (//.National Installer.//) and an Aug 2004 board with 4.29 (generic) in it, but they are the *same* hardware.

The EPROM is an STM (ST Microelectronics) 27C4001 ... I'll dig one out at work tomorrow and program it up with the 4.39 code... I'll bet you a beer that it "just works" .

In the mean time, who's got a copy of the firmware 5.04 (or later) for the Telecom Module that they'll lend me to experiment with?

Mike

BTW I use a Dataman S4 hand-held EPROM programmer... support British industry... if you need a chip programmer go to Dataman - they're good kit! Dataman Programmers

if you put diesel in a petrol car it will just work for a short time,but will work,that doesnt mean its right...ive had loads of problems with new versions of software not being compatable with old versions

Guest miketubby
if you put diesel in a petrol car it will just work for a short time,but will work,that doesnt mean its right...ive had loads of problems with new versions of software not being compatable with old versions

31138[/snapback]

Well, each to their own I guess... I had a PM from Allso, he says he's got a Customer Advice PDF from Honeywell/Ademco that confirms my experiance... Galaxy 500 hardware from 1.5 on wards can run any version up to/including 4.39

Mike

"BTW I use a Dataman S4 hand-held EPROM programmer... support British industry... if you need a chip programmer go to Dataman - they're good kit! Dataman Programmers" -

- bloody hell - just checked your link -at that price I hope it would be "good kit"

Edited by DNS Security

Guest miketubby
"BTW I use a Dataman S4 hand-held EPROM programmer... support British industry... if you need a chip programmer go to Dataman - they're good kit! Dataman Programmers" -

- bloody hell - just checked your link -at that price I hope it would be "good kit"

31154[/snapback]

Well, I think they're good value for money in-so-much-as its allowed me to fix problems on our vehicle tracking and mobile data systems in police/fire/ambulances with upgrades etc... no more than the cost of a couple of call-outs...

Mike

Well, each to their own I guess... I had a PM from Allso, he says he's got a Customer Advice PDF from Honeywell/Ademco that confirms my experiance... Galaxy 500 hardware from 1.5 on wards can run any version up to/including 4.39

Mike

31153[/snapback]

not sure if thats strictly true,but after reading allso's posts he isnt qualified to comment on this subject,no offence intended..tho im sure ive got some updates from microtech somewhere i'll try to dig them out...but i do know that 2.31,4.04,4.10 4.36 had problems not sure which of these were //.National Installer.// only versions,not had a play with 4.39+ yet whats the diff from 4.37??

I agree that I've absolutely no qualifications whatsoever in the area of alarm installation eng, but I don't need any to be able to quote verbatim to Mike from a document. I am not qualified to judge the truth of the information contained in the document, but I would presume that if anyone knows what upgrades are possible it might be Ademco-Microtech.

Besides which, I PM'd him the information and didn't expect to be mentioned on the open forum.

No offence taken, by the way! If you want a copy of the PDF PM me your address and I'll send it.

Allso

Edited by Allso

I agree that I've absolutely no qualifications whatsoever in the area of alarm installation eng, but I don't need any to be able to quote verbatim to Mike from a  document. I am not qualified to judge the truth of the information contained in the document, but I would presume that if anyone knows what upgrades are possible it might be Ademco-Microtech.

No offence taken, by the way! If you want a copy of the PDF PM me your address and I'll send it.

Allso

31231[/snapback]

i aint seen it no..can you post it on this forum ?

Customer Advice Note

Galaxy 8, 18, 60, 128, 500, 504 & 512

Software Version 4.39

Functional Change Details

(with reference to V4.36)

February 2004

Changes introduced in V4.39

Galaxy V4.39 has been developed as part of a software standardisation process, designed to

bring all variants of the Galaxy panel software to a single version. This will allow Honeywell

Security (previously Ademco Microtech) to better support and develop the Galaxy software

moving forward. With regard to the UK variants of the Galaxy, there is no change in the

Galaxy product functionality, between V4.36 and V4.39.

Upgrade Compatibility

V4.39 software can be fitted to any Galaxy panel that meets the criteria indicated in the table below.

Panel Type - H/W Revision - S/W Revision

Galaxy 8 - Rev 1.5 and above - V1.18, V1.25, V1.27, V1.30, V2.xx, V4.xx

Galaxy 18 - Rev 1.72 - V4.xx

Galaxy 60 - Rev 1.72 - V4.xx

Galaxy 128 - Rev 2.0 and above - V2.xx, V4.xx

Galaxy 500 - Rev 1.5 and above - V1.18, V1.25, V1.27, V1.30, V2.xx, V4.xx

Galaxy 504 - Rev 2.0 and above - V2.xx, V4.xx

Galaxy 512 - Rev 1.5 and above - V1.18, V1.25, V1.27, V1.30, V2.xx, V4.xx

cheers Allso

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

interesting,tho microtech denied anything was wrong with 4.36 when they were issuing 4.37 to //.National Installer.// and keeping quiet about probs with 4.36 which i think dave spoke to them about..[/font=Arial]

Looks like 4.36 is possibly a step backwards.

They did I believe have confirmation problems with 4.36, hense issuing thousands of updated chips to ADT with a version of 4.37.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Guest miketubby

So Guys,

It looks like we've all seen, by one way or another, the Ademco-Microtech (or is that Honeywell) info with respect to software versions for the various panels...

To me it looks like 4.39 has become the "bench mark" release in a "standardisation" process for Honeywell, however I note that Galaxy 60's are now shipping with version 4.50... what ever that is...

Due to the advice that I needed 4.xx to allow operation with the Ethernet module (which was correct) and that my Gal 500 PCB with 2.31 needed replacing in order to run 4.xx (which was incorrect, as it happens)... I now have a spare Gal 500 PCB which can run 2.31 or 4.39 equally as well... I may just keep it as a spare... didn't cost that much in the grand scheme of things...

Mike

• 13 years later...
  • 1 year later...