Security Installer Community

New guy asking for advice

The-sacred

Hello to you all

I am new to this and tried to do some reading before I pose this question, so that I am not totally ignorant.
We have a 3 bed semi detached, fitted with a 10 year old Wired Alarm system. 
Looking to upgrade it to a system with some smart features, such as a Mobile App that allows us to control the Alarm and maybe get features such as being able to see the event that triggered an alarm.
Also,  looking for features such as: Remote control Arm/Disarm with Panic button for Granny when she's home alone or when she leaves and return. And Proximity fobs for the rest of the family.

After reading many of the posts and researching the internet for reputable installers, we found 3 good companies with excellent reviews on Checkatrade & Trustpilot as well as being NSI approved

They obviously do not carry ALL alarm brands but, all 3 local companies carry Risco and two of them carry Texecom
The quotes we received for professional installation of the Alarms are very close between £850 and £950 (Panel, wireless keypad, 3 PIRs, 2 door contacts. Mobile APP, external siren & dummy, 3 proximity tags and 1 remote control) 

We felt comfortable with two out of the three installers and that's what's on offer

1- Texecom Elite Ricochet alarm with Mobile App

2- Risco Lightsys 2 with alarm App

unfortunately neither offer PIR with camera but they offer everything else we need

The Lightsys 2 we are told could use our existing wiring to connect the PIRs & door contacts as well as external siren - the fitter believes that would be more reliable than the 100% Wireless Risco system he also carries which is Agility 3

The Texecom is 100% wireless but the installer believes it to be very reliable and he says nowadays Wireless kit is very solid.

Now, We are between those 2 systems and cannot make up our minds; given we are happy with both companies and that the price is very close

Any views / ideas from the professionals here :) 

Edited by The-sacred

2 hours ago, The-sacred said:

Hello to you all

I am new to this and tried to do some reading before I pose this question, so that I am not totally ignorant.
We have a 3 bed semi detached, fitted with a 10 year old Wired Alarm system. 
Looking to upgrade it to a system with some smart features, such as a Mobile App that allows us to control the Alarm and maybe get features such as being able to see the event that triggered an alarm.
Also,  looking for features such as: Remote control Arm/Disarm with Panic button for Granny when she's home alone or when she leaves and return. And Proximity fobs for the rest of the family.

After reading many of the posts and researching the internet for reputable installers, we found 3 good companies with excellent reviews on Checkatrade & Trustpilot as well as being NSI approved

They obviously do not carry ALL alarm brands but, all 3 local companies carry Risco and two of them carry Texecom
The quotes we received for professional installation of the Alarms are very close between £850 and £950 (Panel, wireless keypad, 3 PIRs, 2 door contacts. Mobile APP, external siren & dummy, 3 proximity tags and 1 remote control) 

We felt comfortable with two out of the three installers and that's what's on offer

1- Texecom Elite Ricochet alarm with Mobile App

2- Risco Lightsys 2 with alarm App

unfortunately neither offer PIR with camera but they offer everything else we need

The Lightsys 2 we are told could use our existing wiring to connect the PIRs & door contacts as well as external siren - the fitter believes that would be more reliable than the 100% Wireless Risco system he also carries which is Agility 3

The Texecom is 100% wireless but the installer believes it to be very reliable and he says nowadays Wireless kit is very solid.

Now, We are between those 2 systems and cannot make up our minds; given we are happy with both companies and that the price is very close

Any views / ideas from the professionals here :) 

Forget risky risco go with a FIRM texecom

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, grantc said:

Use existing wiring for a hard wired system with all the other features surely?

Hybrid system to give use of remote setting etc. 

I'd be fitting something like a pyronix euro 46 app or a Eaton ion 40h if it was me.

Grant

Thank you grantc but I don’t really want to spread my focus, plus the companies I’m happy with offered these 2 systems; so it’s between those two

4 hours ago, grantc said:

Use existing wiring for a hard wired system with all the other features surely?

Hybrid system to give use of remote setting etc. 

I'd be fitting something like a pyronix euro 46 app or a Eaton ion 40h if it was me.

Grant

Blagger that's not what you said here 

I'd fit an enforcer 'all day, every day' if there wasn't any existing wiring :P

I'd never get rid of wired for wireless if I had the option.

The euro 46 would be my first option then the ion 40h.

1 way radio is disappointing on the ion but its the more aesthetically pleasing of the two panels imo.

Grant

15 hours ago, al-yeti said:

Forget risky risco go with a FIRM texecom

Thank you Al-yeti 
Is this from your personal experience or is that the general consensus here on these forums.  I only ask because I am looking into making a decision soon and am using professional advise here as guide.
That said, what's your view on disregarding the existing wired connection and fitting 100% Wireless (ie Texecom), would this be a smart move or will be replacing reliable cables with wireless :(

36 minutes ago, The-sacred said:

Thank you Al-yeti 
Is this from your personal experience or is that the general consensus here on these forums.  I only ask because I am looking into making a decision soon and am using professional advise here as guide.
That said, what's your view on disregarding the existing wired connection and fitting 100% Wireless (ie Texecom), would this be a smart move or will be replacing reliable cables with wireless :(

Generally risco not liked

But ask the texecom installer for another quote hybrid and use wiring

Otherwise find another company who does the texecom and will use wiring where possible 

Unless he saying wiring is no good?

I am only saying texecom because seems you don't want to look at other brands which is ok as you can only go with what your locals do

i would keep your wiring also. As with grant i wouldn't use either but if i had to choose between those two, id go for the Texecom. Just change the panel to a Texecom that is hybrid

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

1 hour ago, james.wilson said:

i would keep your wiring also. As with grant i wouldn't use either but if i had to choose between those two, id go for the Texecom. Just change the panel to a Texecom that is hybrid

1 hour ago, al-yeti said:

I am only saying texecom because seems you don't want to look at other brands which is ok as you can only go with what your locals do

Ok so that's 3 opinions now telling me that neither are the best.  That got me thinking again, what would you guys recommend?  Grant obviously is for Pyronix Enforcer -  What would James & Al-yeti advise please? 
What else is out there that you guys feel is best?
Again Reliability is my top priority (I always thought that this is synonymous with using wires rather than wireless), and budget is £1K Max  

Edited by The-sacred

1 hour ago, The-sacred said:

Ok so that's 3 opinions now telling me that neither are the best.  That got me thinking again, what would you guys recommend?  Grant obviously is for Pyronix Enforcer -  What would James & Al-yeti advise please? 
What else is out there that you guys feel is best?
Again Reliability is my top priority (I always thought that this is synonymous with using wires rather than wireless), and budget is £1K Max  

Enforcer same issue as texe ricochet full wireless 

You need hybrid atleast and use anyany cables as you can

I cant see why the texecom can't get you anything wired in budget 

1 hour ago, The-sacred said:

What would James & Al-yeti advise please? 

I have a hkc at home. Full Hybrid panel and rock solid. Also has rf pir camera. But you obviously need an installer that supports it. Other than that id go galaxy (used to have at home) or vanderbilt. But vanderbilt maybe out of budget. Do to the age id upgrade your wired components to probably optex rx40 or hkc quads.

my 2p

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

1 hour ago, james.wilson said:

I have a hkc at home. Full Hybrid panel and rock solid. Also has rf pir camera. But you obviously need an installer that supports it. Other than that id go galaxy (used to have at home) or vanderbilt. But vanderbilt maybe out of budget. Do to the age id upgrade your wired components to probably optex rx40 or hkc quads.

my 2p

James that's great, I will look into HKC - I might as well - given I am investing time into research-  get the best I can afford
Funny enough, Texecom are billing their ricochet panel as hybrid?!!  I don't understand how is it a hybrid when the engineer who visited us said it is solely wireless connection to all sensors! 
Any idea

On 01/10/2018 at 09:37, sixwheeledbeast said:

Any Ricochet "panel" is technically hybrid, it just depends how many wired zones you need and where.

I need to connect 2 wired door contacts and 2 wired PIRs ; And just add 1 Wireless PIR
Would I be able to do that with a Ricochet Texecom panel?  

• 5 months later...