Security Installer Community

Help with product and Garage set out?

vinnychoff

Hi look forward to your help and suggestions. I have installed three systems and am moving to a new house with a double garage attached. I have a old galaxy panel and am happy with its service to date. I am thinking of buying a Flex 20 panel and prefer wired sensors.

This is the list that I am thinking of buying.

I found all this on security warehouse.

I have thought to alarm the garage with the up over door on a contact and install a pir with camera. Is this the best way?

I was going to put three smoke alarms in kitchen, garage and room under the garage.

I am thinking of adding cameras but from a different system. Is it more effective to use Honeywell products? Not sure of solutions?

Looking at the flex 20 panel I have the following zones. I think its only 12 wired so will have daisy chain the doors upstairs? That is how I managed my doors present and this worked ok.

Is ver1 software better than ver3?? On the security warehouse site it costs a few pounds more for ver1 which seems strange?

I would like to be able to disarm the system as i drive in and open the garage door. I assume that on the internet app i can do this? I also have a motorcycle but guess its best to dismount, switch the system off and then park up the motorcycle. Any suggestions on this?

The house is on two levels with a room under the garage also.

zones
1 front door
2 hall pir
3 garage pir with camera, garage door contact. Has two small windows?? not sure what to do maybe just stop from being opened?
4 Room under garage (man cave) door contact, smoke alarm and break sensor. Single door and window
5 patio doors break sensor, patio contact. back of house.
6 back door contact and break sensor.
7 dinning room pir
8 lounge pir
9 bedroom 1 door contact
10 bedroom 2 door contact
11 bedroom 3 door contact
12 bedroom 4 door contact
13 bathroom door contact
14 windows downstairs contacts. probably not going to put any.
15 break sensors zone? link all three.
16 panic buttons bedroom.

1 panel
2 key panels? Should i install one in the garage?
4 pir,s
7 door contacts?
1 patio doors contact
 window contacts ?
2 panic buttons
3 break sensors
2 internal sounder
2 bell box
3 smoke sensors to the alarm
1 garage door contact?

Thanks in advance?

Vince

Far too many question marks to work out where your questions are, but I'll try and help answer...

5 minutes ago, vinnychoff said:

I have thought to alarm the garage with the up over door on a contact and install a pir with camera. Is this the best way?

I would say Shutter contact and DT.

8 minutes ago, vinnychoff said:

I would like to be able to disarm the system as i drive in and open the garage door. I assume that on the internet app i can do this? I also have a motorcycle but guess its best to dismount, switch the system off and then park up the motorcycle. Any suggestions on this?

I don't fit Honeywell controls as standard. I'd use a Texecom external prox reader for this type of thing. Tag on your garage keys, swipe the tag, open the garage and park up, could do similar on the way out too with correct programming.

I don't really rate apps myself. When it comes to your bike is it the right solution? Think about having to pull up, find your phone in your leathers, take your gloves off, find the app, disarm, put your phone back etc..

16 minutes ago, vinnychoff said:

I am thinking of adding cameras but from a different system.

I would say separate system would be better for redundancy

20 minutes ago, vinnychoff said:

2 internal sounder
2 bell box

This sounds like far too much kit for one panels PSU.

21 minutes ago, vinnychoff said:

This is the list that I am thinking of buying.

Are you definitely looking to DIY? This seems a large project for a your standard DIYer, lots to learn and trip up on along the way.

• Like 1

Sixwheeledbeast Thanks, I have fitted four alarms in friends and families houses. Those were scantronic panels and pirs etc but the same procedure. I have a background in mechanics and electrical work so feel confident with a meter and settings. 

Some panels like the scantronic can have one extra sounder and i thought it is not too hard to power two but can reduce to one.

I have not added a garage though so not sure and the other parts.

I could add a prox tag with the Galaxy panel and install outside? the same as your Texecom external prox reader?

17 minutes ago, vinnychoff said:

panels like the scantronic can have one extra sounder

I would argue they can't without the sounders being low current types. It doesn't matter how many outputs a control panel has, the supply can only provide a certain load (this isn't just sounders this is the whole system BTW).

A panel could run overloaded for a while before it gives up prematurely.

17 minutes ago, vinnychoff said:

I could add a prox tag with the Galaxy panel and install outside? the same as your Texecom external prox reader?

Maybe see what other people suggest.

5 hours ago, vinnychoff said:

Get the galaxy app, then you will get push notifications as well as being to arm/disarm from your phone. BTW you will need an Ethernet module

• Like 1

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

33 minutes ago, Nova-Security said:

Get the galaxy app, then you will get push notifications as well as being to arm/disarm from your phone. BTW you will need an Ethernet module

And maybe some firmware

Agree. No issues with the Flex V3.50 firmware. Set for silent comm's to ensure no panel side error reports for broadband issues.  Not everyone likes the SMPS (including me), but energy efficiency is more important going forwards.

Honeywell push notification is limited, but is free, so it's up to you.  At least there are other choices with SelfMon if you want additional SMS, E-mail and hourly path checks.

2 hours ago, GalaxyGuy said:

Agree. No issues with the Flex V3.50 firmware. Set for silent comm's to ensure no panel side error reports for broadband issues.  Not everyone likes the SMPS (including me), but energy efficiency is more important going forwards.

Honeywell push notification is limited, but is free, so it's up to you.  At least there are other choices with SelfMon if you want additional SMS, E-mail and hourly path checks.

Yes but the honeywell app is still temperamental on some devices, not very used friendly imo 

I am in the process of shopping and carried out some research on Texecom, I wonder now if that panel is the best way to go forward with a COM-IP to connect out? sorry Galaxy Guy,  I have owned a Galaxy for several years with no issues so was thinking to keep with the panel but...

I am finding it hard to see if I can get camera images on my phone? I know that Galaxy Guy has a service for the text alerts? I was hoping for the system to have a way of any pir activation images to be shown or recorded. I guess this service has to be paid in some way or the manufacturers have to sell the devices with features that more want? Looking at Honeywell this seems to be a paid service?

I do have a Swan Camera system that I am going to buy and thought it might link up with the Texecom? or I will have to run them separate? I assume the Texecom app is free to use and will arm, disarm etc as in the brochure although this is on the home network and could be hacked into. I am not a fan of WIFI and think this has a weakness also.

Regards Vinny

Texecom Connect will be compatible with IP cameras in the future I believe.

It was suggested you keep the systems separate above.

I would place any Swann or DIY grade CCTV system you buy straight in the bin, it would be less hassle for everyone.

Interesting to us in the know, how there is concern for security of the alarm components you are buying but a budget off the shelf consumer product is expected to be plug and play secure.

• Like 1