Security Installer Community

Cooper Security 9853 won't reboot.

Mark C

We have just purchased a property that has been empty for 5 years and the batteries were all dead after the electricity was disconnected from the Cooper Security 9853.

The main 9853 box has a 17ah battery and this has been changed and the separate power supply has also had its battery changed.  I haven't changed or looked at either of the 2 external alarm boxes yet.

Please do not post defaulting information in the public forums

Both keypads display "Ver 4.00 Feb15 2007" (this happens as soon as you reconnect the battery) which I assume is the software and it's build date but nothing else.  It chimes twices when it powers up and responds to the keypresses.  The first 6 keypesses are greeted with normal beeps and aftert at the beeps turn louder and deeper like errors.  A couple of times the countdown timer beeps have started but it never alarms it just keeps beeping.

So it has had new batteries, the reset procedure has been followed but will it reboot?  Will it heck as like reboot.  Any ideas peeps.....

4 hours ago, Mark C said:

We have just purchased a property that has been empty for 5 years and the batteries were all dead after the electricity was disconnected from the Cooper Security 9853.

The main 9853 box has a 17ah battery and this has been changed and the separate power supply has also had its battery changed

I would take the view if you have the means to buy a property which is big enough to have power supplies & zone expanders, you should have budgeted for an alarm man.

Reaching for my big book of stereotypes... your from the Clan McSkinflint

As a guess I would assume the Keypad in not communicating with the controls,

Personally I would start by removing a keypad off the wall, connecting it direct to the controls via short bit of wire with nothing else power up or connected to the panels data network & see if you can get control of the panel, then add device one at a time until everything is back on

Just remember the alarm may well have been faulty before the property was void.... good luck

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Mr? Veritas God

3 hours ago, MrHappy said:

I would take the view if you have the means to buy a property which is big enough to have power supplies & zone expanders, you should have budgeted for an alarm man.

Reaching for my big book of stereotypes... your from the Clan McSkinflint

As a guess I would assume the Keypad in not communicating with the controls,

Personally I would start by removing a keypad off the wall, connecting it direct to the controls via short bit of wire with nothing else power up or connected to the panels data network & see if you can get control of the panel, then add device one at a time until everything is back on

Just remember the alarm may well have been faulty before the property was void.... good luck

Hardcore advice , now where can I find an alarm man , has to do the fix max £80 , anyone?

So you need new panel keypad etc , stop flagging around and skip the hunk of junk 

Or get an engineer who will jump start it and say it will keep going for another ten years and don't upgrade it like anything else , the old style Nokia phones are back to 

1 minute ago, al-yeti said:

Hardcore advice , now where can I find an alarm man , has to do the fix max £80 , anyone?

So you need new panel keypad etc , stop flagging around and skip the hunk of junk 

Or get an engineer who will jump start it and say it will keep going for another ten years and don't upgrade it like anything else , the old style Nokia phones are back to 

wow, your almost as bitter as me :)

Mr? Veritas God

3 hours ago, MrHappy said:

must be the sun?

that's one of the many reasons why its always kicking off in the middle east...

Iol,

but they don't go out much in the heat , like Spain finish by 2/3pm and relaxing 

4 hours ago, petrolhead said:

Well that escalated quickly.

Being an expert blagger I used to think why you guys give everyone a hard time , but most stories I read here are supper blag, 

At least op admits he's trying to fix it ,

Op if you still reading this nothing personal lol , but system like that will take lonnnng for you to fix ,pull the wallet out 

Thank you Mr happy it was the key pad in the Annexe stopping the comms, I disconnecting Data and Clock from it and the others came back to life.  When you exit installation mode it flags Z13 open which is the smoke alarm next to the faulty keypad.  I popped the top off and it has clearly had water in it.  I suspect the bathroom above had a leak at some point and did for them both.

Because of the open fault on Z13 I can't go any further.  I have ordered a new detector and keypad but can I link out Z13 with a wire or resistor?

Thanks again I am chuffed it lives.