Security Installer Community

menvier m12 and psu question

hi all,

i have a system of menvier m12 smoke detectors connected to my alarm system and powered seperately by an elmdene 1amp psu and this has been working fine until today when i noticed the psu had no lights on and none of the detectors were flashing which i find unusual as surely if the psu failed the alarm relay in each detector would open and set off the system which would then show me the fault?

i'm not sure what has happened as i don't have time to look into it until the weekend so does anyone know what the issue might be?

don't worry i am using battery powered detectors until then

thanks in advance

could be......but it's all been working fine for about 5-6 years and it's only today i noticed the psu was dead,

i would have just thought for safetly the smoke detectors would default to opening the relay upon power loss

thats what i thought, but i've had no alarm conditions or anything and as far as i know the alarm still works fine.

i don't believe a psu and a zone exander card could fail like this at the same time it just doesn't make sense to me

hi just an update,

i opened up the psu today and although nothing visually looked wrong upon closer inspection i noticed battery acid under the battery and when i removed the battery i saw it had leaked all over the leads, the back of the psu and itself.

i then measured the voltages and the battery was 0.04v so very dead and i had no output from the transformer or from the output of the board then i measured the voltage of the cabled going into the terminal block and i got the correct 230v so i believe the transformer has failed and not knowing what else that could have damaged i will be ordering a new psu.

many thanks for your help

id of thought the power going off completely would cause an alarm. I'm assuming there was enough power to keep them closed. One of many reasons you shouldn't use them vs dedicated fire detection.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

the expander is plugged onto the molex pins on the board and thats what i really don't understand as it has been tripped before from cooking and stuff and has sounded the alarm but i really don't understand why it hasn't tripped this time,

unless for some reason it has sent a spike through the system and cooked the detectors and expander card?

4 hours ago, Mf1999 said:

the expander is plugged onto the molex pins on the board and thats what i really don't understand as it has been tripped before from cooking and stuff and has sounded the alarm but i really don't understand why it hasn't tripped this time,

unless for some reason it has sent a spike through the system and cooked the detectors and expander card?

Or you deleted it off system ?

i don't think i have i haven't been messing around with it for years,

i know the expander card works or at least some of it does because i had someone try to kick in my front door today and i had to push the panic button which worked fine so this seems to be a mystery, i have ordered a new power supply so lets see if this fixes it

1 hour ago, Mf1999 said:

i don't think i have i haven't been messing around with it for years,

i know the expander card works or at least some of it does because i had someone try to kick in my front door today and i had to push the panic button which worked fine so this seems to be a mystery, i have ordered a new power supply so lets see if this fixes it

What happened to the door kicker ? And did your panic button reset or snap?

• 2 weeks later...

well he pretty much left after the alarm went off, and of course it's broken it's an old panic button lol the key is long lost and i have to remove the cover to reset it

also i replaced the psu and the system is working again and being complicated and awkward like i am i wired the fault output from the new psu into the panel and set it up as a technical alarm just so i know if anything happens again