Security Installer Community

Galaxy High Resistance

Hello,

I have a zone on a RIO with high resistance being randomly reported. I've omitted the zone for the time being, but what's the most likely issue in your opinions? It's on a standard RIO, but the fact that it happens randomly, i.e. one moment all is fine, the next it is not, makes me think the problem may lie with the RIO?

What's the resistance ? Press Hash at display zones. Is it near the thresholds. If so, wiring issue, sensor contact etc. The galaxy firmware was updated at some point to avoid tamper on marginal resistance issues, reporting to log only. Best to check panel reported values though.

Well, resistance was showing 1135 ohms, but I'm not sure what it's jumping to and why. Obviously jumping over 1200 ohms though, and opening and closing the door made resistance to 1040 ohms. It's a door contact too, a CQR. System was not fitted by myself, but by the last owner and maintained by me.

We have had loads of problems with the grade 3 cqr contacts going hi res over a number of years.

just today I went to one and replaced it for this reason, the 200 mile round trip wasn’t what I needed this afternoon. This was on a galaxy 96  not that it makes any difference.

27 minutes ago, whistle said:

We have had loads of problems with the grade 3 cqr contacts going hi res over a number of years.

just today I went to one and replaced it for this reason, the 200 mile round trip wasn’t what I needed this afternoon. This was on a galaxy 96  not that it makes any difference.

Really? Wow. That's actually surprising. I don't really like the resistors inside, but that's just a personal thing. To rectify this, did you switch to another manufacturer on your own installs? 

2 hours ago, jackaddressable said:

To be honest, the panel is getting older anyway, and is a candidate for replacement. It's an old rip out. Galaxy Classic 504 lol.

Those panels are reliable apart from the PCB mounted battery corroding. Just replace the contact and you'll be up and running again. That said, a 2nd hand dimension is very cheap these days.

2 hours ago, whistle said:

Contract must be worth it though

8 hours ago, whistle said:

The cqr ones we have problems with have links you cut for the desired resistance.

we now use knight plastic contacts YEND 74 for 99% of our jobs.

Yeah, cuttable links inside. It is a shame because I like the design of them, but they do need to work.

7 hours ago, GalaxyGuy said:

Those panels are reliable apart from the PCB mounted battery corroding. Just replace the contact and you'll be up and running again. That said, a 2nd hand dimension is very cheap these days.

Are the PCB mounted batteries replaceable? I'm assuming they're for memory? Also, I have seen a few Dimension panels on eBay, I've always got an eye out for when this goes.

6 hours ago, jackaddressable said:

Yeah, cuttable links inside. It is a shame because I like the design of them, but they do need to work.

Are the PCB mounted batteries replaceable? I'm assuming they're for memory? Also, I have seen a few Dimension panels on eBay, I've always got an eye out for when this goes.

Yes plenty of hot dimensions going cheap in eBay 

The battery is soldered on the old panel. It's not required until power and battery backup are both lost, where it then backs up the panels static memory until power is restored. Not really worth fixing, as replacing with something newer is probably a better path to take.

50 minutes ago, goncall said:

Activates warning op's and ultimately an intruder if goes high enough 

so the advantage is a high resistance fault when closed wouldn't generate a intruder signal unless it got to "tamper values"

I assume "high resistance" is x% of the circuits resistance values so 1k & 1k is quite narrow but at 4k7 & 4k7 its more forgiving ?

Mr? Veritas God

13 hours ago, MrHappy said:

so the advantage is a high resistance fault when closed wouldn't generate a intruder signal unless it got to "tamper values"

I assume "high resistance" is x% of the circuits resistance values so 1k & 1k is quite narrow but at 4k7 & 4k7 its more forgiving ?

Chances are it will go to open value before it reaches tamper value

9 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

it does give early warning of contact failure

Works well if signalled on a dedicated high/low res channel as long as the customer calls an engineer before setting the system