Security Installer Community

1st Fix / Cabling / Wiring Standards

On a recent project our Engineers were pulled up for a few issues regarding their cabling:

1. With cable laid in underfloor voids, they didn't use the data matts that were provided

2. They didn't clip their cables to the slab

3. They ran cabling over ductwork, not underneath it.

To be fair, it was work done by our 1st fix sub-contractors, rather than our Engineers. However it is actually up to our Team to show the subbies the standards and check that everyone installs to this standard.

We are going to put a 1st fix guide together with pictures to show our Teams in future what we expect.

Silly question (as i'm not an Engineer), but where do I go to find out about best practice and regulations around running cables for security systems?

Thanks.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JasonOfOz said:

On a recent project our Engineers were pulled up for a few issues regarding their cabling:

1. With cable laid in underfloor voids, they didn't use the data matts that were provided

2. They didn't clip their cables to the slab

3. They ran cabling over ductwork, not underneath it.

To be fair, it was work done by our 1st fix sub-contractors, rather than our Engineers. However it is actually up to our Team to show the subbies the standards and check that everyone installs to this standard.

We are going to put a 1st fix guide together with pictures to show our Teams in future what we expect.

Silly question (as i'm not an Engineer), but where do I go to find out about best practice and regulations around running cables for security systems?

Thanks.

Over ducta seems better incase duct needs to come down

What slab?

Matts in all directions or they just lashes it anyway possible

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

I have seen many diffrent installation styles over the years, Clips vs staples, surface run vs hidden, taught vs slack.

Personaly I take pride in my 1st fix and cabling and do it properly but that does slow you down. The work I observed with a contractor on a new build housing estate was so slopppy that I pulled him up on it, his justification was that he had targets to hit and they dont pay him enough to give a ****

And there seems to be the problem paying **** money to general contractors under pressure to get the job done as quickly as possible.

If I had paid good money for a new house I would expect the cable for the window sensor to be run through the upvc window frame and under the window sill not surface run and poorly clipped

As mentioned BS7671 is a good place to start for general regs

Edited by Kaizen Security
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kaizen Security said:

I have seen many diffrent installation styles over the years, Clips vs staples, surface run vs hidden, taught vs slack.

Personaly I take pride in my 1st fix and cabling and do it properly but that does slow you down. The work I observed with a contractor on a new build housing estate was so slopppy that I pulled him up on it, his justification was that he had targets to hit and they dont pay him enough to give a ****

And there seems to be the problem paying **** money to general contractors under pressure to get the job done as quickly as possible.

If I had paid good money for a new house I would expect the cable for the window sensor to be run through the upvc window frame and under the window sill not surface run and poorly clipped

As mentioned BS7671 is a good place to start for general regs

What if windows already in? It still doesn't need to be surface mounted btw.....