Security Installer Community

Thinking of Subbing?

Hi all, I've been employed 9-5 mon-fri for the last 6 years, regularly working till the early hours doing my own jobs as well as doing my own jobs on the weekends.

I'm thinking of quitting the 9-5 and doing subcontracting instead. Mainly because I'd like more time to do my own stuff and at the moment I don't have any free time which is having negative health effects. 

What's the going rate for subbies in the North West? What qualifications should I make sure I have? At the moment, I use the company van so I'll obviously have to buy myself a vehicle. I'm 21 years old so how much is a vehicle likely to cost?

Thanks in advance for your feedback! I'm ready to make the jump but need to make sure it doesn't screw me over!

Liability Insurance, if your going to do your own jobs you should consider efficacy insurance. 

CSCS-PASMA-UKATA Would be the main three for subbing for us, cant get on construction sites without the first, and you need something to say your okay at working at heights the second one, and no one should be taking you on if you dont know asbestos when you see it.

10 hours ago, norman said:

PASMA is for towers, not w@h. 

Its cherry pickers as well but if you have a Pasma you have some working at height cover, I dont think there is an actual course we do ours in house 

3 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

Its cherry pickers as well but if you have a Pasma you have some working at height cover, I dont think there is an actual course we do ours in house 

Eh!!!

3 hours ago, PeterJames said:

No, PASMA is for towers, working @ height is different and can be in house providing you can evidence the trainers competence.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

The basics should be,ecs or safety passport depending on which sites you want to get on,ipaf 1b and 3 a minimum add as many as you can afford,some form of asbestos training working at height training,then add the rest like confined space,manufacturers trianing,fia courses etc you will be up against people who have them all if you want a decent rate

8 hours ago, james.wilson said:

iPaf is booms etc

oh yeah I remember now.

I cant think why I thought they were the same its probably because we sent engineers to do them both at the same time

12 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

oh yeah I remember now.

I cant think why I thought they were the same its probably because we sent engineers to do them both at the same time

You should know the difference,it's a bit like **** and elbow..

1 hour ago, goncall said:

You should know the difference,it's a bit like **** and elbow..

Fortunately Gaz I have managers that know stuff so I dont have to, I cant program alarm panels anymore either (well I say I cant I would have to read the manual first)

3 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

Fortunately Gaz I have managers that know stuff so I dont have to, I cant program alarm panels anymore either (well I say I cant I would have to read the manual first)

You need new managers..

4 minutes ago, goncall said:

You need new managers..

You misinterpreted, lets put it another way, I dont need stuff I have people that work for me that do

1 minute ago, james.wilson said:

id say its too much of a commute..but I'm sure Pete will take your offer seriously 

LOL

I dont think gaz was asking if I had any jobs going James