Security Installer Community

New cctv install and advice on Brand /Product

On 22/06/2018 at 15:33, ology said:

Definitely go for IP cameras, IMO. Remember you'll need either an NVR with PoE ports, or a separate PoE hub/switch to power and connect the cameras via Cat5e/Cat6 to your NVR (if it doesn't provide PoE). Options include a dedicated NVR like a Hikvision, a NAS box like a Synology or a QNAP running their software or a dedicated PC running BlueIris.

This tool can help you with camera coverage, but it may not be any good for off street non-google mapped areas: https://calculator.ipvm.com/

A wide angle camera (like a 2.8mm) will give a massive 90 degree view but will distort when people get close, whereas a 12mm camera will give a very narrow view (25 degrees), but give excellent close up shots.

You'll need to decide whether to record constantly = eats up lots of disk space for multiple cameras, or record when movement/trigger is detected. Also consider the frame rate and resolution obviously too. Tool to help here: https://www.cctvcalculator.net/en/calculations/storage-needs-calculator/

If you want to backup the storage from the main recorder I'd personally either network to a PC, or a NAS and backup from their on a schedule. Or RAID it...

I have not purchased the Hikvison, as now Hikvision are getting strict in china and will not supply the English version to overseas customer, you need to buy it from UK, this person is still working on it to see if she can get the english version Hikvision, otherwise she said there is always the DVR version.

i will keep you updated.

i will check the link you sent me the cctv calculator.

3 hours ago, CARETAKER46 said:

Hikvision are getting strict in china and will not supply the English version to overseas customer, you need to buy it from UK, this person is still working on it to see if she can get the english version

Excellent Mr Barnes 

• Like 1