Security Installer Community

Alarm - FULL MOT?

Hi all,

10 year old Premia 9 alarm. 

I want to get a full intensive service done to it - and any fixes / improvements done.

I obtained a copy of the original service manual - which is blank.

What is the right language to be using when putting together an advert for this job.
Am I asking for a re-accreditation a recommission or a Full Mot or Audit? Whats the right language?

I would like the panel wiring fully inspected and thoroughly checked.
I would like all the measurements (that are put into the service manual) rechecked.
I would like each and every sensor - checked and tested and replaced as necessary.
I would like a full diagnostic to be done.

All in all - I want the alarm competently and professionally checked at every level - so it could last another 10 years.

Bear in mind - there will be no wring or installation work necessary, as the alarm is already installed and there is no specific problem to report other than the battery needs replacing - which is simple enough - as I have a replacement ready.

I am asking for your help - in correctly composing the advert for this job - so that I am covering all the aspects you would cover - if you wanted this done at one of your close relatives homes.

Usually - it's only through the forums - that nothing gets left, forgotten. I am hoping this is done once and done right.

Me and my family are extremely grateful to anyone willing to contribute here,

Sincere thanks,

TimbreSaw

Alarms don't just least 10 years with no maintenance they really need more regular service than that, normally annually. I would say you have been lucky not to have an issue with it.

Inside most likely the battery has gone faulty (life expectancy 4 years), it may have damaged the changing circuit.

Premia is a pretty old panel now long since discontinued I recall it being a pretty cheap domestic panel at the time. So it's likely many will recommend an upgrade re-using the wiring.

You should contact some local companies and ask about pricing for a service and what they include in that price.

Many companies would also prefer to use there own stock (the battery) as they wouldn't be willing to warranty an item you purchased.

Feel free to browse our installers forum http://www.thesecurityinstaller.co.uk/community/forum/268-uk-security-installers-by-regional-police-force/ the NSI  https://www.nsi.org.uk/ and SSAIB https://ssaib.org

if you cannot contact the original installer or have anyone recommended to you.

11 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Premia is a pretty old panel now long since discontinued I recall it being a pretty cheap domestic panel at the time. So it's likely many will recommend an upgrade re-using the wiring.

I'm thinking 1994 ish & little over 1/2 the price of 9800 ?

1 hour ago, TimbreSaw said:

What is the right language to be using when putting together an advert for this job.

wheres this advert getting posted ?

Mr? Veritas God

I'm grateful for your replies,

I've paid to have my Valliant boiler serviced every year - by finding engineers through an engineers forum.

Turned out most had the generic skills needed for boiler servicing - but most did not know the graphite filters in my *particular model* needed vacuuming out at each service.

So whilst I have used a trusted index to find these engineers - and done things the right way (regs) - my boiler has failed due to their incompetence (confirmed by manufacturer) - and now the expense of sorting it is astronomical.

Simply - I've been made a fool of.

I think at some point in life - all of us have had this done to them. But once done - we don't want to experience it again.

This is the reason I am reaching out for expert guidance on this particular model - Premia 9. Are there any quirks / model peculiarities that I should know about - before I seek an engineer - specifically up to the task - on this particular model.. 

The alarm is old - but works fine - I just want to have a comprehensive MOT done - but done Right - first time.

I would appreciate member comments and inputs on my thinking and approach - also guidance on how to achieve this goal.

Second question: Can a auto dialer be added to this alarm?

My Sincere thanks to any willing to contribute,

TimbreSaw

Edited by TimbreSaw

2 hours ago, TimbreSaw said:

I've paid to have my Valliant boiler serviced every year - by finding engineers through an engineers forum.

Turned out most had the generic skills needed for boiler servicing - but most did not know the graphite filters in my *particular model* needed vacuuming out at each service.

So whilst I have used a trusted index to find these engineers - and done things the right way (regs) - my boiler has failed due to their incompetence (confirmed by manufacturer) - and now the expense of sorting it is astronomical.

Simply - I've been made a fool of.

I think at some point in life - all of us have had this done to them. But once done - we don't want to experience it again.

This is the reason I am reaching out for expert guidance on this particular model - Premia 9. Are there any quirks / model peculiarities that I should know about - before I seek an engineer - specifically up to the task - on this particular model.. 

The alarm is old - but works fine - I just want to have a comprehensive MOT done - but done Right - first time.

I would appreciate member comments and inputs on my thinking and approach - also guidance on how to achieve this goal.

Second question: Can a auto dialer be added to this alarm?

My Sincere thanks to any willing to contribute,

TimbreSaw

Autodialer yes no problem , 

Just.keep in mind an old system can be fully motd and then die and there's nothing the pro can have done about it , 

So get some quotes in dude

4 hours ago, TimbreSaw said:

This is the reason I am reaching out for expert guidance on this particular model - Premia 9.

TimbreSaw

whats a vallient boiler to buy £800 upwards ?

then you need someone to fit it..

Back in the 1990's they sold lots of Vauxhall Cavaliers, however  I can't recall the last time I saw one on the road

Prima 9 was about around £56 +vat back in the 1990's the ones I fitted are all long replaced.

Unless your retaining your alarm to match up with your CRT telly & fake teak hifi, I can see no reason why you'd want to keep it.

However should you find someone,  to "mot" your alarm as one off job, request they supply & complete a BSIA logbook (inculding the NCR  reading pad in the back)

If I was hard up & needed to fill hrs I'd want £5 + an extra 1hr over a visit to do this

Mr? Veritas God

7 hours ago, TimbreSaw said:

I kept my potterton lynx 2 going for 15yrs or myself it was a right old beast , in the end just got a new boiler as old stuff has to go

But you will still see old alarms being serviced by some companies because they get a contract a monthly fee and all the stuff 

If you had been on a contract you wouldn't get any upgrades for years on those controls by most 

But get it upgraded geezer might fail as soon as it's serviced.....

9 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

Proper old collectors job

My old alarm collector pops in once a week

& Empties the wheelie bin

Edited by MrHappy

Mr? Veritas God

By the time you pay for a service and speech dialler it wouldn't be much more to stick in a euro with the app functionality and at least have some confidence in it, your old panel is on borrowed time the electrolytic caps will be dried out, the prom and nvm will be at the end of their useful life and if you havent had it serviced in so long the charging circuit will be shagged. Things wear out, especially when neglected but even when nurtured they have a finite life and replacing the worn parts before they let you down when you need them most is preventative maintenance.

9 minutes ago, petrolhead said:

By the time you pay for a service and speech dialler it wouldn't be much more to stick in a euro with the app functionality and at least have some confidence in it, your old panel is on borrowed time the electrolytic caps will be dried out, the prom and nvm will be at the end of their useful life and if you havent had it serviced in so long the charging circuit will be shagged. Things wear out, especially when neglected but even when nurtured they have a finite life and replacing the worn parts before they let you down when you need them most is preventative maintenance.

Quoted for agreement

10 devices on a 8 zone panel?

Prices would vary depending on who you get and your location. Also would depend if you have agreed a fixed price for the job or if you will be charged a call out/per hour.

I'd contact some local companies to get a rough idea, that doesn't mean to say you should necessarily choose the cheapest.

9 hours ago, TimbreSaw said:

Last serviced five years ago.

5 PIR's

2 Shock Sensors

2 Panic Buttons

One door contact

Bell & Strobe.

What would be a reasonable price for the service/recommission?

Why recommission? Have you mashed it up ?

Average £60-80 service doesn't include parts 

ypu supply your own parts and it fails then you pay labour again 

Commission minimum £250+ and it's not there problem if system is mashed up 

Fault finding £35 first hour? On top of all of that 

Good guess ?

Appreciate the responses.

Take a look:

Pad shows St - basic clean and reset needed. I wonder if there are fuses in it that should be replaced as a matter of course?

Could anybody tell em if the fuses should be replaced as a matter of course - since even if they are 'working' - they have been there a while.

And then service - to the point that all the measurements be retaken and a full walk through test be done.

I'll be straight forward - battery is new.

Won't be installing anything - just doing a full MOT.

Opinions and contributions as to a fair price is would help me greatly

IMG_2172.jpg

IMG_2175.jpg

Mess of wiring, tape covering joints, 10 zones on 8 zone panel and seems to have no tampers.

Burn marks around R69, D1, D3 and D13 indicate the panels PSU has probably been overloaded and the components will be tired.

If it was a decent system in good order it would be worth looking after, but I'd rip it out myself TBH.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Mess of wiring, tape covering joints, 10 zones on 8 zone panel and seems to have no tampers.

Burn marks around R69, D1, D3 and D13 indicate the panels PSU has probably been overloaded and the components will be tired.

If it was a decent system in good order it would be worth looking after, but I'd rip it out myself TBH.

QFA

If you do wish to keep it, expect to pay around £200-£300 to have it all re tested and commissioned.

you may get a cheaper deal if you are going to put it on an annual service contract, (this would also give you access to emergency call out facility incase It’s goes pop)

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

"MOT" fail no tamper circuit :)

Also I am certain the Ministry of Transport are more interested in Diesel emissions than old domestic alarm panels. ;)

You can put an advise on everything and slam a new battery in it but it's on borrowed time and won't stop it letting you down on the motorway.