Security Installer Community

Pyronix Enforcer comms issue

Hi everyone.  I'm aware this is an old thread but im having a Comm Fault generally 2-3am which is irritating at best the engineer said its BT router issue as the panel is connected via WiFi only.

Has anyone had a similar issue and did you manage to fix it. 

Thanks Woody

Com Fault would likely just be a generic term for the panel can no longer poll the cloud/server.

Is the Wifi stable and strong in that area? Is the internet stable? They would be the first checks

If you can see the uptime in your router GUI and you can see the times match the drop out you are looking at a service issue not the panel or cloud for example.

50 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Com Fault would likely just be a generic term for the panel can no longer poll the cloud/server.

Is the Wifi stable and strong in that area? Is the internet stable? They would be the first checks

If you can see the uptime in your router GUI and you can see the times match the drop out you are looking at a service issue not the panel or cloud for example.

Thanks Sixwheeledbeast.

There was issues where the router could not connect at the same times as the alarm fault, apparently I have an old router and BT are sending me the latest model which should fix the problem.

Fingers crossed

When you get the new BT router, make sure you;

Separate the 2ghz and 5ghz bands (I just rename the 5ghz band with the same name as the 2ghz and a '5' on the end, same password) - this option is under the 'advanced' wireless network menu

I personally set the 2ghz band NOT to auto-select a channel, I choose 1 or 12 myself, 5ghz there are a lot more channels and rarely interference from nearby houses so I leave that as it is

Turn off any 'smart connect' or 'safe connect' features - I forget which menu this is under but google it

I know nothing about the Enforcer but if there is any way of a wired connection (or homeplug) I'd do that instead.

Interestingly I have come across a major and increasing problem with my more rural customers, a private company round here called Truespeed is laying their own truly private fibre network as BT won't provide VDSL even to large villages with new housing developments.

The routers are Huwawei ones, 100% locked down, you cannot even view the web admin let alone log in. You cannot change the wireless password, nor any settings, all the customers clutch tightly

onto hand written wifi password cards given to them by the engineer, that is their only original copy! You can't choose fixed IPs, you cant change channels. I was fooked trying to connect

a panel via Wifi as it kept changing channels every few minutes and would drop out. Thankfully we managed to use homeplugs, which I don't like, but I couldn't wire it.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

I personally think all ISPs should provide a modem only service, would be much simpler to verify whose equipment is faulty and reduce electrical waste at the same time.

If people want a router they can go and get whatever router they wish (basic or pro) and not have it locked down to ISP provided settings TR-069/Homesafe/Public Wifi/DNS rubbish.

Can't see it happening any time soon with the mentality of the general public that the ISP should provide free tat routers, but you get what you pay for.

If the ISP want to provide a Wifi Mesh or router package they could have that as a separate charge. Think it's a win all round TBH.

Don't worry we asked Truespeed if we could simply buy a 'cable' router and they said to my customer 'do that and we will disconnect you'. And they cannot / would not turn off their wifi anyway. Charming.

Apparently they are working VERY HARD on a script to fix the channel number!

I have warned other customers who have been thinking about Truespeed to give them a country mile.

That said, this is what happens when BT, for all their faults, dig their heels in and the gov ponies up money to clueless amateurs.

They obviously have some sort of derrogation not to have to do the cable laying to usual standards, as they are using special colour Polypipe (Orange) and polypipe fittings

and chucking most of it about 12-24" deep max in the hedge along the valley. They have also let them close key roads through built up area for literally WEEKS to chuck in a few shallow cables.

Delivery to the sub is via new fibres strung across to the property from existing BT overhead poles (or occasionally coming down the pole from the opposite side of the road and along the front lawn).

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

2 hours ago, datadiffusion said:

When you get the new BT router, make sure you;

Separate the 2ghz and 5ghz bands (I just rename the 5ghz band with the same name as the 2ghz and a '5' on the end, same password) - this option is under the 'advanced' wireless network menu

I personally set the 2ghz band NOT to auto-select a channel, I choose 1 or 12 myself, 5ghz there are a lot more channels and rarely interference from nearby houses so I leave that as it is

Turn off any 'smart connect' or 'safe connect' features - I forget which menu this is under but google it

I know nothing about the Enforcer but if there is any way of a wired connection (or homeplug) I'd do that instead.

Interestingly I have come across a major and increasing problem with my more rural customers, a private company round here called Truespeed is laying their own truly private fibre network as BT won't provide VDSL even to large villages with new housing developments.

The routers are Huwawei ones, 100% locked down, you cannot even view the web admin let alone log in. You cannot change the wireless password, nor any settings, all the customers clutch tightly

onto hand written wifi password cards given to them by the engineer, that is their only original copy! You can't choose fixed IPs, you cant change channels. I was fooked trying to connect

a panel via Wifi as it kept changing channels every few minutes and would drop out. Thankfully we managed to use homeplugs, which I don't like, but I couldn't wire it.

So just to clarify its only the Truespeed router that are locked down as I do like to alter the settings.  I  separated the 2.4 & 5 on the original router and gave them different names as well.  The Smart connect what's the advantage of turning it off?

6 hours ago, Woody said:

Hi everyone.  I'm aware this is an old thread but im having a Comm Fault generally 2-3am which is irritating at best the engineer said its BT router issue as the panel is connected via WiFi only.

Has anyone had a similar issue and did you manage to fix it. 

Thanks Woody

Similar problem with the hkc I assume you mean at night efault comes up loss of Wi-Fi, common with hkc Wi-Fi cards as well, you can turn off the audible notification that you have lost Comms on the panel itself you would still get the notification on the app that you have lost comms with the panel when you're out not sure what you mean DD about using home plugs he would have to change the Wi-Fi card and use a network card of sorts

5 hours ago, Woody said:

Thanks Sixwheeledbeast.

There was issues where the router could not connect at the same times as the alarm fault, apparently I have an old router and BT are sending me the latest model which should fix the problem.

Fingers crossed

Service issue is router WiFi problem more than likely

Alarm fault seperate issue

On 17/07/2019 at 17:13, Woody said:

So just to clarify its only the Truespeed router that are locked down as I do like to alter the settings.  I  separated the 2.4 & 5 on the original router and gave them different names as well.  The Smart connect what's the advantage of turning it off?

If you don't live in the Mendips and pay £60 a month to a company called Truespeed please ignore anything about Truespeed 

As for BT yes DO change all the settings I recommended. The 2Ghz 5Ghz combined thing is notorious for causing issues with Samsung and Apple phones, so it's good to turn it off regardless.

Smart Connect is a load of old crap that means any 'unknown' device has it's web access blocked until they click on a button and it tries to make them downlaod bloatware crap.

I have, in the past, seen this cause issues with Hikvision DVRs, so again, who knows what else it can so, as above worth turning off regardless as it's a PIA for guests connecting to your wifi.

On 17/07/2019 at 18:30, al-yeti said:

not sure what you mean DD about using home plugs he would have to change the Wi-Fi card and use a network card of sorts

Ah I wasn't sure if it was a Wifi only card or if it offered wired network on the same card

Much bargain, very cheap https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pyronix-Castle-EURO-46-WIRED-KIT-1/312671501376?hash=item48ccac7c40:g:o9MAAOSwHjxdENXw

23 hours ago, al-yeti said:

Similar problem with the hkc I assume you mean at night efault comes up loss of Wi-Fi, common with hkc Wi-Fi cards as well, you can turn off the audible notification that you have lost Comms on the panel itself you would still get the notification on the app that you have lost comms with the panel when you're out not sure what you mean DD about using home plugs he would have to change the Wi-Fi card and use a network card of sorts

Adjust the timer settings so it waits 20 minutes between checks that seems to cure it on the HKC, we have around 200 Wifi connected HKC panels now and rarely get a comms fault now.

OP if you part set the alarm at night it will not go off at silly o clock in the morning to warn you of a WiFi fault, it will go off when you unset the alarm, to tell you that there was one in the night though.

Well I have changed the modem, also the engineer has adjusted the fault timer for over 20 minutes which seems to working, when I removed the old Modem and replaced with the new one it took a while to reconfigure the settings to be the identical and No Comm Fault while I was doing it. I hope that's ended this issue. 

Thanks to everyone for the info

41 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

Bear in mind that if you extend that time your bb is still going down its just waiting till its down for the time set. Most people don't use the Internet 24/7 but your alarm is. 

My BB was only off for seconds until it polled again and the Comm Fault started,  now it shouldn't fault due to the timer. Hopefully the BB shouldn't go off to often now.

Great stuff, glad you got it sorted.

Sounds like 3am is 'reset time' for your BB then. We had a similar issue on an SPC, that had IP comms but also SMS to tell on-call employees of any issues.

Every night at 9pm there would be a 2-3 second line drop, which would be logged regardless of any delay timer, most odd.

26 minutes ago, datadiffusion said:

Great stuff, glad you got it sorted.

Sounds like 3am is 'reset time' for your BB then. We had a similar issue on an SPC, that had IP comms but also SMS to tell on-call employees of any issues.

Every night at 9pm there would be a 2-3 second line drop, which would be logged regardless of any delay timer, most odd.

I did get a 55sec BB off at 11.59pm last night and a 3 minute off at 9.17am but the alarm didn't Comm fault which is okay with me. 

Edited by Woody
Spelling
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

The enforcer is not designed to use 4 zems for wired circuits.... 4 zems with wired circuits on a standard wired castle panel would normally require additional power supplies as well! It even states in the install manual, on page 50 that hardwired inputs require an additional power supply...