Security Installer Community

Seeking burglar alarm fitting in S. London with police respose

Hi Welcome to the forum 

You can search for approved local companies in yor area using your postcode at one of these websites https://www.nsi.org.uk/directory/#topform  or https://ssaib.org/security-provider-search/

Edited by MrHappy
fixed ssaib url

There are ADT engineers on here that are very good, I would have no hesitation in trusting them with my alarm system, but like all companies there will be good and bad. ADT are very big so the law of averages would mean they get a bad press.

I would recommend that you get three quotes, choose at least one smaller independent go with whoever makes you feel most comfortable. I guess you dont live in the cheapest house so dont choose the cheapest security, those selling on price are normally not the best. 

Both NSI and SSIAB can provide Police response, and in the unlikley event of something going wrong you can complain to the inspectorate.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, keo18 said:

Hi,

I would like to know if anyone has any alternatives to ADT for a police response / monitored burglar alarm. They have quotes quite a bit and then £35/month on top.

Thanks 

Just curious , why do you need police response ? 

5 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

Normally because the insurance company has requested it. 

I find most insurers haven't asked for it meaning residential and it's customer who seems to want it , but it varies I guess

8 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

I find most insurers haven't asked for it meaning residential and it's customer who seems to want it , but it varies I guess

I sell a lot of monitored alarm to residential customers, its normally an insurance request, but occasionally I go do a survey and the risk assessment say's monitored.

9 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

I sell a lot of monitored alarm to residential customers, its normally an insurance request, but occasionally I go do a survey and the risk assessment say's monitored.

monitored i understand, i specifically talking about police response 

monitored can be keyholder only which anyone can do

58 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

monitored i understand, i specifically talking about police response 

monitored can be keyholder only which anyone can do

Again that would all depend on the risk, back in the day when alarm engineers used to do keyholding I got called to some actual break ins and I would say that its not much fun. I was a big strapping lad back then but I would say anyone that tells you its not scary is lying and I would not recommend it even when you know the Police are on their way, let alone when you know they're not. 

Hi all,

I have a few quotes and am struggling to choose. Help would be really appreciated:

ADT £35/month for a visonic powermaster 30 and £780 installation cost. The signal they use they've mentioned is GPRS and it is not Dual com

Other independent companies have quoted a slightly higher installation cost varying from £800-£1000 and £32/month for monitoring. With the use of CSL dual com

What would you all advise the PM30 with GPRS or CSL Dual com. I do not really understand the differences and advantages/disadvantages of either.

Thanks

On 28/03/2018 at 16:35, al-yeti said:

Just curious , why do you need police response ? 

Is that not what most people do? (additionally insurance purposes)

Companies will use there preferred kit and opinions will vary on that kit, so it's not that clear.

It is true that some maybe better than others but really here you are buying a service. You could have the "best gear" installed by an untrained engineer and it will likely perform poorly.

I assume you are looking at wireless systems if you have been quoted for a Powermaster. The important thing to find out here is the how all the wireless equipment talks to the controls, "two-way" and "mesh" being preferred over "one-way".

When comparing signalling, the number and type of paths plus the grade is something to ask about.

Also did you ask about who owns the kit, warranty and what is included in the ongoing charges?

45 minutes ago, keo18 said:

Many properties in the UK don't have signalling or police response but it would be down to the risk and cost, a signalling system would provide more protection for your property but the cost would be higher.

Sounds like you have spoken to the insurance, have you clarified with them what you need too?

Hopefully some of these questions will help you come to a conclusion but feel free to post any other queries.

1 hour ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Companies will use there preferred kit and opinions will vary on that kit, so it's not that clear.

It is true that some maybe better than others but really here you are buying a service. You could have the "best gear" installed by an untrained engineer and it will likely perform poorly.

I assume you are looking at wireless systems if you have been quoted for a Powermaster. The important thing to find out here is the how all the wireless equipment talks to the controls, "two-way" and "mesh" being preferred over "one-way".

When comparing signalling, the number and type of paths plus the grade is something to ask about.

Also did you ask about who owns the kit, warranty and what is included in the ongoing charges?

Many properties in the UK don't have signalling or police response but it would be down to the risk and cost, a signalling system would provide more protection for your property but the cost would be higher.

Sounds like you have spoken to the insurance, have you clarified with them what you need too?

Hopefully some of these questions will help you come to a conclusion but feel free to post any other queries.

Thanks for the reply!

ADT have included monitoring, maintenance, parts and labour for there  monthly cost of £35.00 (GPRS System). They have said i own the kit after the 3 year contract. 

Smaller companies have mentioned about £20-35 but this is with a CSL dualcom system. They include a 2 years manufactures warranty, and two maintenance checks per anum and have put in writing if any equipment fails within 3 years they will replace it as they are confident with their work and equipment used.

Insurance companies have stated ideally a minimum grade 2 system is required. My confusion just lies in what would be better and secure ADT with GPRS or Independent with CSL dualcom?

Once again thanks everyone for the help 

1 hour ago, keo18 said:

Hi all,

I have a few quotes and am struggling to choose. Help would be really appreciated:

ADT £35/month for a visonic powermaster 30 and £780 installation cost. The signal they use they've mentioned is GPRS and it is not Dual com

Other independent companies have quoted a slightly higher installation cost varying from £800-£1000 and £32/month for monitoring. With the use of CSL dual com

What would you all advise the PM30 with GPRS or CSL Dual com. I do not really understand the differences and advantages/disadvantages of either.

Thanks

Of course if you forget to set and get done over , insurance won't pay you a penny

You save £150 on your premium a year and insurance saves £15k on payout

It does happen 

I just want to also point out that a Grade 2 system doesn't mean the signalling is Grade 2.

I wouldn't be happy with an upto 25 hour response time upon a failure.

We are not certain what type of signalling this unknown Dualcom product is or anything about this GPRS device its being compared against, hence my questions above.

Not having all the information it's not fair for anyone here to make a decision like that, we can advise on the type of kit etc but only you will know the one that suits you and your property.

On 27/03/2018 at 22:27, PeterJames said:

... go with whoever makes you feel most comfortable...

Your insurer has asked for Grade 2 intruder did they give a grade for the monitoring?

It is quite hard for us to say what we would recommend without knowing the risk, on the same note, we would not expect you to tell us your theft attractive property on a public website though. So we can only tell you what to ask the installers. 

• 2 months later...

I work for #1 alarm company in Europe, feel free to call me on ###REMOVED### and see if I might be able to save you money or to just discuss the services you require. Thanks in advance.

Edited by sixwheeledbeast

1 hour ago, Blueg87 said:

I work for #1 alarm company in Europe, feel free to call me on ###REMOVED### and see if I might be able to save you money or to just discuss the services you require. Thanks in advance.

Why not give the main sales number lol?

Edited by sixwheeledbeast
Remove quoted contact details

Hi you will understand it costs a fair amount of money to run a forum like this, servers domain fees etc. As with all forums the owners have sponsor that pay for advertising, if we allowed free advertising then we would lose our sponsors and we would not be able to afford to run this forum.

If you wish to advertise that's fine just put in an application and we will tell you how much. 

If you just wish to participate then that is free 

• Like 1