Security Installer Community

Fire system

Driller

Saw this over on the GDPUK trade forums, thought it would be interesting to have your thoughts from both perspectives!

"hi. 

Im new to the GDPUK - posted a query last night and it didn't submit, so not sure I am doing this correctly. However, I am in need of some sensible advice on fire alarms please. We have had a fire risk assessment by Chubb and have been advised to have a fire alarm fitted because we only have domestic ones that are not considered suitable. 

The recommendation is " a category L4 fire alarm system ...in compliance with the recommendations of the current British Standard 5839;part 1..."

We have a quotes form Chubb to place this, at over £4k. they have provided a schematic and are in a position to be able to provide a certificate to show it is at BS 5839.

I have given this schematic to a smaller company who have come back with a quote of £3k for the same thing. ( not VAT registered) I am sure this is fine to go ahead with, as it is reaching the standard, and I can see in the Regualtory Reform ( fire safely) order 2005, as a " responsible person " I can employ someone who is regarded as competent " where he has sufficient training and experience or knowledge and other qualities to enable him to properly implement the measures" I can see no legislation above this. 

This company regularly places alarms. I am meeting resistance within the practice, could I please have some sensible advice and help. 

Thank you in advance. 

Just thought it would be interesting to see what you thought from "the other side".  Agree that its ironic about the dentists looking for the cheapest price but saying that if they're NHS then there won't be any V8 Vantages in the carpark.

Thought the quote from Chubb might raise some discussion too.  They're the equivalent of ADT are they not?

4 hours ago, Driller said:

Just thought it would be interesting to see what you thought from "the other side".  Agree that its ironic about the dentists looking for the cheapest price but saying that if they're NHS then there won't be any V8 Vantages in the carpark.

Thought the quote from Chubb might raise some discussion too.  They're the equivalent of ADT are they not?

My  NHS dentist has a private car park with electric gates & porsches & AMG Mercs, its a large practice  which I have used since being child

Another former client was a dentist, has private practice in leafy expense area & was something very snr in the local NHS trust, when I got pissed off waiting to be paid for M&M & solicitor sent a collection letter, he shat his pants & promptly sent a cheque in the post, then released in his haste  he'd forgot the stamp.... & had to ring up to inform that he'd sent a 2nd one with a stamp, both arrived in the post.

System is ceased & URN surrendered,  he pops up on social media.... breaking data protection & biging himself up with charity stuff.

Edited by MrHappy
  • Upvote 1

Mr? Veritas God