Security Installer Community

Shorrock 170 bell box

Evening all, I just want to put this out to you guys and I'll really appreciate it if anyone can help me out on this but I've been looking after an old Shorrock security system and I really like it and I pretty much don't want to replace it as it's still going strong and yesterday when I done a bell box test I noticed the external siren didn't work anymore. The bell box is an old Shorrock 170 metal pentagon shaped bell box and there basically my favourite bell boxes. If any one has one for sale going cheap or is going to be replacing one can I please have it as I will not change my bell box to anything modern and a Shorrock 170 is what I prefer to use as I'd like to keep my Shorrock system original and I'd like to have another Shorrock 170 as I find they really keep the burglars at bay. I look forward to hearing from you and If anyone has a Shorrock 170 bell box for sale I'm more than happy to buy it off them.

Best regards Thorn 

45 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

I doubt you'll find anything like that in working order and it seems a bit of an odd request, most would just replace and skip the old box.

If purely aesthetic reasons you could cobble some modern bellbox electronics into the casing, reusing the tamper switches if serviceable.

Yeah I suppose I could but firstly I'm just going to ask around to see if anyone does have one that still works. I was going to post this topic in wanted items but I can't access it

2 hours ago, ThornGamma6 said:

Evening all, I just want to put this out to you guys and I'll really appreciate it if anyone can help me out on this but I've been looking after an old Shorrock security system and I really like it and I pretty much don't want to replace it as it's still going strong and yesterday when I done a bell box test I noticed the external siren didn't work anymore. The bell box is an old Shorrock 170 metal pentagon shaped bell box and there basically my favourite bell boxes. If any one has one for sale going cheap or is going to be replacing one can I please have it as I will not change my bell box to anything modern and a Shorrock 170 is what I prefer to use as I'd like to keep my Shorrock system original and I'd like to have another Shorrock 170 as I find they really keep the burglars at bay. I look forward to hearing from you and If anyone has a Shorrock 170 bell box for sale I'm more than happy to buy it off them.

Best regards Thorn 

Thought the Shorrock Pentagon was polycarb and they had friedland bells in them, its probably stuck needs freeing off 

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

As above is the solenoid stuck?

I also doubt anyone 

a) takes any notice of the ewd before kicking the doors in

b) if they did they would more than likely chose an old ewd over a new led riddled one.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

3 hours ago, ThornGamma6 said:

Best regards Thorn 

Is this your own system? At home?

20 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

Is this your own system? At home?

It will be soon as It's on my girlfriends house who's abroad at the moment and she wants the system upgrading and she knows that I collect alarms as well as fitting them for a living. I basically work for myself and I do enjoy it 

1 hour ago, Nova-Security said:

Thought the Shorrock Pentagon was polycarb and they had friedland bells in them, its probably stuck needs freeing off 

There is a metal pentagon shorrock to which is bigger and is 125db loud the polycarb pentagons are initial. The metal pentagon shorrock 170s have a horn siren the shorrocks that have the friendland bells in are the older blue shorrocks. But if you have any gen Shorrock boxes for replacement I'm more than delighted to come down and pick it up :)

1 hour ago, norman said:

As above is the solenoid stuck?

I also doubt anyone 

a) takes any notice of the ewd before kicking the doors in

b) if they did they would more than likely chose an old ewd over a new led riddled one.

Sorry mate the shorrock bell box that your talking about are the old 70's blue one and I do have one somewhere and I plan on repainting it as I would like to get it preserved on my wall of bell boxes :P:) 

3 minutes ago, ThornGamma6 said:

There is a metal pentagon shorrock to which is bigger and is 125db loud the polycarb pentagons are initial. 

I was talking pre intial, and from what i remember they were polycarb think they was brought out around the 2000 panel.

Still key panel and bellbox keys somewhere.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

9 minutes ago, ThornGamma6 said:

It will be soon as It's on my girlfriends house who's abroad at the moment and she wants the system upgrading and she knows that I collect alarms as well as fitting them for a living. I basically work for myself and I do enjoy it 

So stop doing one and upgrade the thing lol

1 minute ago, Nova-Security said:

The bell box above is the one i am on about, never seen a metal one.

Yeah thats the model I'm after, I do prefer them :) If you've got any that are due to come down I'd be more than happy to give you my money for it

3 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

So stop doing one and upgrade the thing lol

lol, when I remove it I will keep it and use it myself :) I do have a youtube channel as well and I make videos on alarms

I've only ever seen the plastic versions with a Friedland and strobe inside. AFAIK, the only metal Shorrock box was the blue metal unit, with the lock on the front of it. I think you'll do well to find someone who has kept either of those to use as a service spare I think it'd be prudent to swap it out for a new sounder as soon as so that you have a working system again.

Trade Member

1 minute ago, antinode said:

I've only ever seen the plastic versions with a Friedland and strobe inside. AFAIK, the only metal Shorrock box was the blue metal unit, with the lock on the front of it. I think you'll do well to find someone who has kept either of those to use as a service spare I think it'd be prudent to swap it out for a new sounder as soon as so that you have a working system again.

Yeah I'm trying to keep my soon to be old shorrock system going lol

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2018 at 18:16, ThornGamma6 said:

Yeah I'm trying to keep my soon to be old shorrock system going lol

The Old Metal Shorrock boxes were around in the 70s, they had a Yale lock on them for access, (all the same key) with a Friedland Bell inside, and a G1470 12v battery (I think) for the SAB module, they were metalic blue, later ones were just navy blue, then a lighter blue.

They were very strong, inside with a metal bar over the bell which the lock operated into. Sadly they were rust buckets, so never lasted long, so doubt any are around now, unless fitted in a sheltered position.

• 1 month later...
On 06/02/2018 at 12:25, ultrasonic said:

The Old Metal Shorrock boxes were around in the 70s, they had a Yale lock on them for access, (all the same key) with a Friedland Bell inside, and a G1470 12v battery (I think) for the SAB module, they were metalic blue, later ones were just navy blue, then a lighter blue.

They were very strong, inside with a metal bar over the bell which the lock operated into. Sadly they were rust buckets, so never lasted long, so doubt any are around now, unless fitted in a sheltered position.

The yale lock was to silence the alarm.