Security Installer Community

Texecom Premier Elite - Cut Cable :(

Morning gents! :D

Based on a lot of background reading I did on this forum, a Texecom Premier Elite was fitted about 6 months ago and a great alarm it is too! :)

Problem I have now is that when cutting off some cornice at the top of the ceiling, we completely forgot that the telephone and alarm cable was run through there. As such, we cut through the damn thing. :( I'd like to patch this up as it leads to a key patio door sensor.

The bigger issue is that the cable is crappy CCA (copper clad alu) as opposed to quality cable. Don't ask how or why that was used. :(

So I guess question is how do I connect this crappy cable back up again? Can't solder it.

I can only think of something like this (a pack of ten is a couple quid and they are tiny):

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WA415.html

Also, as the system is 'live' and I don't wish to short anything, how would I power it down temporarily?

Alarm Cable.jpg

Just to clear up on the above, my choices (unless you guys have a better suggestion) at the moment to fix this mess are:

(1)Lever splicing connector: 

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WA415.html

(2) Some crimps: 

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Accessories_Index/Crimp_Lugs_and_Tools/index.html

(3) A small, 2a connector strip (two-way):

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLCON2.html 

:(

Edited by MarkJohnson

Thanks for the replies folks. With regards to solder, I don't think it would work, primarily because it's basically aluminium cable (CCA) and also it is 2.4m up, so a bit awkward to solder on a ladder. But the CCA issue here is the real problem, otherwise I'd have soldered the damn thing already. :(

3 hours ago, MarkJohnson said:

Thanks for the replies folks. With regards to solder, I don't think it would work, primarily because it's basically aluminium cable (CCA) and also it is 2.4m up, so a bit awkward to solder on a ladder. But the CCA issue here is the real problem, otherwise I'd have soldered the damn thing already. :(

You making this all up?

OK great. I might have some electronics solder already. I know that I definitely have lead and lead free solder for plumbing use but that won't be suitable as mentioned above. Also it is on a large cumbersome reel.

Last q - how do I put the system into standby / switch it off - the wiring is live, I don't want to short / damage anything! It's a Texecom Premier Elite 24.

Edited by MarkJohnson

Ok so I went home and had a go at soldering.

I think I am making a pigs ear of it as the CCA cable strands are really delicate and flimsy.

Also, bearing in mind, this was done on a kitchen table with plenty of light. Doing this on a ladder high up, might yield even worse results. 

(a) Be brutal, how bad is my soldering? Image below shows the 3 steps - twist the wire, make a hook, hook onto corresponding wire, add solder to bond together

(b) If my soldering is judged to be real bad, is using a crimp really not advisable?

Solder 1.jpg

Edited by MarkJohnson

Another point I omitted - the cut cable is not long enough to join via soldering. An extra 5mm or so in length is needed at points A and B as there isn't any extra pull available on the cable. As such, it looks like I am going to have to cut a small length of cable (marked X in image below) and use that to join cables A and B.

Is that likely to cause issues with the sensor?

ABX.jpg

1 hour ago, MarkJohnson said:

Ok so I went home and had a go at soldering.

I think I am making a pigs ear of it as the CCA cable strands are really delicate and flimsy.

Also, bearing in mind, this was done on a kitchen table with plenty of light. Doing this on a ladder high up, might yield even worse results. 

(a) Be brutal, how bad is my soldering? Image below shows the 3 steps - twist the wire, make a hook, hook onto corresponding wire, add solder to bond together

(b) If my soldering is judged to be real bad, is using a crimp really not advisable?

Solder 1.jpg

It will do