Security Installer Community

Castle care tech 1600 alarm keypad fault

Hi folks, 

looking for for some guidance, decided to use our house alarm ( moved in 3 years ago already installed) found the operating instructions and detail on how to change code. When I opened the keypad door the number 9 was shown on the display panel, this I think referred to zone 9. When I pushed 9 on the keypad, the house alarm activated and the display panel went blank and wouldn’t accept any further inputs. In order to stop the alarm I had to remove the battery and disconnect mains going into main alarm box. I’m not that fussed about the alarm to be honest but just discovered the fire alarm sensors are connected to it also??? Kids in the house.

when I left it fir an hour I reconnected it all back up, same issue, alarms activated, keypad not accepting any codes, though, it did flash d once then nothing..

does anyone one have any initial thoughts?

many thanks, Stevie

I suggest you find a local installer to take a look at it.

It may just require a service and possibly reprogramming but more than likely it will be recommended you replace and upgrade the system.

Alternative option is to leave the system powered down and replace all your smoke detectors for stand alone battery ones.

4 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

Whats the age of the battery? Have you tried powering up mains only?

Hi Peter, battery looks to be 2003, yea tried mains only but again same issues, keypad unresponsive.

6 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

Whats the age of the battery? Have you tried powering up mains only?

15 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

I suggest you find a local installer to take a look at it.

It may just require a service and possibly reprogramming but more than likely it will be recommended you replace and upgrade the system.

Alternative option is to leave the system powered down and replace all your smoke detectors for stand alone battery ones.

Thanks for the advice re smoke detectors, good idea.

Sounds like the panel is knackered then battery should have been replaced over ten years ago, in 2007 which is probably the reason the panel failed. As the battery dies it starts to pull more and more power, it eventually kills the charging circuit. New panel and battery, and as your bell did not ring when you down powered the panel, I would guess a new bell.