Security Installer Community

Can anyone help me identify my system?

MattS

Hi.  First time posting and I have two questions I would like to ask

First off, I need to replace a PIR in our home and would like to carry out the replacement myself.  The problem is that I don't know exactly what alarm system I have (its at least 20yrs old) and would appreciate any help to identify it.  I believe its a 800L as the circuit board layout looks exactly the same.  I've attached a picture of my current board and would really appreciate it if someone could confirm if I'm correct.   What I'm also not sure about is the function of the transformer in the bottom left and the switch below it.  If anyone could give me a clue, again it would be appreciated.

The second part is that I would really like to re-program the unit as the alarm exit/entry beep isnt loud enough and it sounds for too long when I exit.  I've tested the engineering code given in the manual above, but it doesnt work.  Would I be correct in thinking that I then need to short the pins at the top of the board identified by the "Memory Default. Link 2"  text to reset it?  If I do this, I'm assuming I would need to re-program the whole system from scratch.  Is this very difficult or hard to follow?  I'm not an alarm guy, but I am technical in nature so don't have an issue approaching the problem.

TIA
Matt

PS I'm also considering upgrading the panel to something more modern which would be able to notify me of any alarms via the internet or mobile network.  Any suggestions that I could drop in?

IMG_2961.JPG

Edited by sixwheeledbeast

38 minutes ago, MattS said:

Hi.  First time posting and I have two questions I would like to ask

First off, I need to replace a PIR in our home and would like to carry out the replacement myself.  The problem is that I don't know exactly what alarm system I have (its at least 20yrs old) and would appreciate any help to identify it.  I believe its a as the circuit board layout looks exactly the same.  I've attached a picture of my current board and would really appreciate it if someone could confirm if I'm correct.   What I'm also not sure about is the function of the transformer in the bottom left and the switch below it.  If anyone could give me a clue, again it would be appreciated.

The second part is that I would really like to re-program the unit as the alarm exit/entry beep isnt loud enough and it sounds for too long when I exit.  I've tested the engineering code given in the manual above, but it doesnt work.  Would I be correct in thinking that I then need to short the pins at the top of the board identified by the "Memory Default. Link 2"  text to reset it?  If I do this, I'm assuming I would need to re-program the whole system from scratch.  Is this very difficult or hard to follow?  I'm not an alarm guy, but I am technical in nature so don't have an issue approaching the problem.

TIA
Matt

PS I'm also considering upgrading the panel to something more modern which would be able to notify me of any alarms via the internet or mobile network.  Any suggestions that I could drop in?

IMG_2961.JPG

Forget this alarm 

Perhaps a pyronix enforcer will work for you with remote keypad 

What you mean your technical in nature? 

Transformer provides power from the mains supply, and the switch you mean with a spring on it? Is a case tamper switch 

First off, I need to replace a PIR in our home and would like to carry out the replacement myself.  The problem is that I don't know exactly what alarm system I have (its at least 20yrs old) and would appreciate any help to identify it.

Not knowing the model of the alarm shouldnt be a problem if just replacing a PIR.

First off, I need to replace a PIR in our home and would like to carry out the replacement myself.  The problem is that I don't know exactly what alarm system I have (its at least 20yrs old) and would appreciate any help to identify it.  I believe its a 800L as the circuit board layout looks exactly the same.

Yes

What I'm also not sure about is the function of the transformer in the bottom left and the switch below it.  If anyone could give me a clue, again it would be appreciated.

The transformer powers the control panel. There is no switch, it's a fuse that has mains voltages.

The second part is that I would really like to re-program the unit as the alarm exit/entry beep isnt loud enough and it sounds for too long when I exit.  I've tested the engineering code given in the manual above, but it doesnt work. 

I wouldn't expect it to be the default code if programmed by an installer.

Would I be correct in thinking that I then need to short the pins at the top of the board identified by the "Memory Default. Link 2"  text to reset it?  If I do this, I'm assuming I would need to re-program the whole system from scratch.  Is this very difficult or hard to follow?

Defaulting the panel will require you to program everything from scratch. Easy if you know how, unlikely to have a working system if you don't know what you are doing.

I'm also considering upgrading the panel to something more modern which would be able to notify me of any alarms via the internet or mobile network.  Any suggestions that I could drop in?

If you need notifications from your alarm I would suggest you get a company to fit a monitored system. Anything else provides a false sense of security.

Edited by sixwheeledbeast

1 hour ago, PeterJames said:

A picture of the keypad and and control panel would have been more useful than a picture of the PCB that could be pretty much any old panel although it says C& K on the PCB it still doesnt help identify which one 

Here's a picture of the keypad.  There is no control panel (otherwise I would have posted one!)

@sixwheeledbeast - thanks for the response.  Do you know of any good guides for programming home alarm systems?  I've downloaded the manual from Honeywell but I wouldn't say its the simplest to follow.

Cheers.

IMG_3119.JPG

Edited by MattS
added response to six

1 hour ago, PeterJames said:

Please dont post engineering manuals in the public area if you are unsure of the rules please take a look at the forum main page 

I've checked the forum root (http://www.thesecurityinstaller.co.uk/community/) as well as this subforum root and cant find any sticky's in relation to posting manuals.  Can you let me know where on the forum main page I should be looking at in relation to the rules about posting manuals.

TIA

17 minutes ago, MattS said:

Do you know of any good guides for programming home alarm systems?  I've downloaded the manual from Honeywell but I wouldn't say its the simplest to follow.

If you cannot follow the the instructions in the engineering manual, maybe consider getting someone in.

If the timer is only inconvenient then consider that defaulting may make the system unusable like I say above.

There is no visible age on the battery so that is likely to need replacing, if not serviced in a while it's worth having the full system checked.

7 minutes ago, MattS said:

I've checked the forum root (http://www.thesecurityinstaller.co.uk/community/) as well as this subforum root and cant find any sticky's in relation to posting manuals.  Can you let me know where on the forum main page I should be looking at in relation to the rules about posting manuals.

http://www.thesecurityinstaller.co.uk/community/guidelines/

Section 12 - Do NOT post security control equipment defaulting information

We do not allow the sharing of engineering manuals, default codes or defaulting instructions here for security reasons.