Security Installer Community

Work extension and tech upgrade

Driller

I was going to say Kelston Round Hill, but it isn't, is it? Solsbury?

I still have a few customers in Bath, one not far away from your practice, about ten years ago I moved from Weston, Bath, to Weston, Super-Mare.

Now working part time as a Paramedic and part time running the best security company with 4 letters and starting with C, except for Case who admittedly probably are better.

Wow this is like that 'where are they now bit' on Buzzcocks isn't it... :)

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Close, one tree hill, Timsbury just up the road from Radstock.  Spent my youth round there moseying about in the countryside between band practices in Midsomer Norton and Priston village hall. 

Those are good customers to have I reckon, the place has changed so much over the last 25 years, hardly recognise it, so much money has come down from London although the city centre itself has become one big coffee shop it would seem.

Part time paramedic and installer sounds...different, I like it!.  Sounds a bit like a bloke who played in rock bands until his early 20s and then went to dental school but still plays ;-)  What do you do if you get 2 call outs at the same time then, 1 someone having a heart attack and another having a heart attack because their alarm won't work?

BTW WSM fantastic, the great man himself (JC) being born there

Edited by Driller

55 minutes ago, Driller said:

Close, one tree hill, Timsbury just up the road from Radstock.  Spent my youth round there moseying about in the countryside between band practices in Midsomer Norton and Priston village hall. 

Those are good customers to have I reckon, the place has changed so much over the last 25 years, hardly recognise it, so much money has come down from London although the city centre itself has become one big coffee shop it would seem.

Part time paramedic and installer sounds...different, I like it!.  Sounds a bit like a bloke who played in rock bands until his early 20s and then went to dental school but still plays ;-)  What do you do if you get 2 call outs at the same time then, 1 someone having a heart attack and another having a heart attack because their alarm won't work?

BTW WSM fantastic, the great man himself (JC) being born there

Well, it pays the bills and stops me getting bored in either job! If only I'd been more interested in the medical world at an earlier stage I'm sure I might have been able to take things a bit further. There is some truth, but also a lot of hype, about how 'autonomous' we are now, despite there being more guidelines (mandatory) than ever, but it's fair to say over the last 2 nights my leave at home rate was about 80% and that just wouldn't have happened ten years ago, then again I suppose ten years ago we didn't get all the 111 cast-off calls for 'chest pain' (i.e. coughing...) either!

Most but not all my customers are aware of my limitations and nearly all of them are on cloud/IP which is the only way it works. Disable a zone and do the site visit some other time works well, it's never been an issue yet.

I guess at least with your current career you don't have to worry about (assumes...;) ) you not quite being a rock superstar, plus it's good to have a different hobby, there are more than a handful at work where the service literally IS their life, I'm sure it's the same in most hospitals and sometimes you need people like that, other times I just think it's a little bit sad.

Funny you mention Timsbury as I'm off there tomorrow very early - via a quick call in Corston, and then MsN Friday!

I don't think it's actually that funny but Mr. C wrote a 'graphic novel' (yeah, a comic) which relocated the Superman back story to WsM...

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

As a para-medical professional, I can confirm they are better for your teeth than candy floss machines.

Funny they say on the amb we don't do teeth and eyes but had a bloke last week who managed to lose half his jaw d**king about at a scrapyard (guess)

and the manager of the local DIY superstore managed to get a bungee hook millimetres from his eyeball a gew years back. Did have a German gentleman

phone 999 a few months back for toothache at a caravan site, I think he may have misunderstood the advice given to him ;) Then again we're the mugs for

dispatching an ambulance, as ever!

Edited by datadiffusion

On 21/11/2019 at 00:14, datadiffusion said:

Well, it pays the bills and stops me getting bored in either job! If only I'd been more interested in the medical world at an earlier stage I'm sure I might have been able to take things a bit further. There is some truth, but also a lot of hype, about how 'autonomous' we are now, despite there being more guidelines (mandatory) than ever, but it's fair to say over the last 2 nights my leave at home rate was about 80% and that just wouldn't have happened ten years ago, then again I suppose ten years ago we didn't get all the 111 cast-off calls for 'chest pain' (i.e. coughing...) either!

Most but not all my customers are aware of my limitations and nearly all of them are on cloud/IP which is the only way it works. Disable a zone and do the site visit some other time works well, it's never been an issue yet.

I guess at least with your current career you don't have to worry about (assumes...;) ) you not quite being a rock superstar, plus it's good to have a different hobby, there are more than a handful at work where the service literally IS their life, I'm sure it's the same in most hospitals and sometimes you need people like that, other times I just think it's a little bit sad.

Funny you mention Timsbury as I'm off there tomorrow very early - via a quick call in Corston, and then MsN Friday!

I don't think it's actually that funny but Mr. C wrote a 'graphic novel' (yeah, a comic) which relocated the Superman back story to WsM...

It seems to me to be a complimentary combination.  It's funny how working on the human body (examination, diagnosis, treatment plan and then treatment) is strangely identical to working on all sorts of other non-living stuff, same process, same diagnosis and "treatment plan" and clinical treatment.  

It must be a good feeling when the people around you feel safe in the knowledge that you have this knowledge. About being autonomous, I strongly believe that experience is a huge factor in ability to deal with medical emergencies and that's what you have.  I haven't ever had a real medical emergency in the practice yet (just the odd vaso-vagal syncope) and hopefully never will.  We're supposed to be able to deal with the basics but without the experience I'm not sure we'd be up to much, much better to leave it to you blokes!

I stopped worrying about not being a rock star in my 30s probably even though I'd been a dentist for some time.  It was a bit of a sad realisation at first but now I consider myself frankly lucky to not have pursued that avenue professionally.  I like my job even if it's extremely stressful at times and I can play music whenever and with whatever I like now so it's win-win.  My folks always struggled financially and I realised that by being a musician I would had exactly the same problems, in fact probably worse, than they did.  Of course if you're one of the lucky few then you're made but it's a hell of a risk.

Did you notice the hill when you went to Timsbury? Normally you can see it from miles around.

On 21/11/2019 at 22:24, norman said:

@Driller keeping it off topic, are the water floss machines any good? 

I'd say they're much better than no floss at all but as the water jet can't be that strong (or people would probably injure themselves and sue) I reckon actual flossing or interdental brushes if you have bigger gaps, is best.  So definitely get one if you don't use floss or ID brushes.  I read a study once where they'd calculated that when you add up the surface area between your teeth it came to 40% of the total surface area of all your teeth.  So someone not cleaning between their teeth (manual or electric brush won't do it) is missing almost half of them in effect.

• Thanks 1

Cheers, it's for the Mrs, she flosses all the time so I'll have to think of something else for her Christmas... 

Eta she's from a family who look like the Colgate family and neither her, her sister or father have a single filling (I think her mother has a couple) 

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

14 hours ago, Driller said:

It seems to me to be a complimentary combination.  It's funny how working on the human body (examination, diagnosis, treatment plan and then treatment) is strangely identical to working on all sorts of other non-living stuff, same process, same diagnosis and "treatment plan" and clinical treatment. 

Do you really-

Swear, scratch your balls & drink tea whilst doing dental work ?

• Like 1

Mr? Veritas God

20 hours ago, Driller said:

Did you notice the hill when you went to Timsbury? Normally you can see it from miles around.

Confession time, no!

The property I go to is right on the edge, to be honest perhaps Tunley would be more accurate, but I do go right through the main part of Timsbury and out the other side again.

Am I being blatently ignorant* Red is my route in from WsM, is it A, B or neither? :)

Capture.thumb.JPG.07db380301e221f4b39082031aa679c7.JPG

*TSI regulars find themselves sadly ineligible to contribute towards answering this

There are a few similarities but unfortunately when stumped you can't just swap spare parts over from the ambulance 'just to see if it makes things better' :)

Although I suppose the only exception to this I've ever experienced would be a tracheal stoma!!

I haven't ever had a real medical emergency in the practice yet

Oddly most surgeries we get called to at 5.45 on a Friday for the P1 IMMEDIATE LIFE THREAT patient (always to be found sat in waiting room, letter in hand) aren't having real emergencies either ;) 

I stopped worrying about not being a rock star in my 30s probably even though I'd been a dentist for some time.  It was a bit of a sad realisation at first but now I consider myself frankly lucky to not have pursued that avenue professionally.

Statistically insignificant ;);) 

Neither A nor B but somewhere in between. I'm surprised you didn't see it especially coming back into Timsbury from Tunley, it's clearly visible to the right.  It's just off the top of your map in the middle about 300 yards North East of Wall  Mead Farm.

Love that study-thanks for the link.  As statistically significant as forgetting your umbrella when it rains it would seem!

Just remembered there's a big old house in Timsbury with cameras all over it and on turrets with a very nifty looking access control system at the driveway entrance (actually I posted some photos of it on here years ago).  Johnny Depp either owns it or owned it.  Now that would be a great contract to have.  Presumably client confidentiality (like patient confidentiality) forbids anyone from speaking about it though.

Onetree.png

Edited by Driller