Security Installer Community

Work extension and tech upgrade

Driller

1 hour ago, MrHappy said:

Steel door sets are normally a fire doors, or is you premises nr the local crack den ?

This is Bath old chap, even the homeless gentlemen of the road won't lower themselves any further than Bells blended

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

2 hours ago, MrHappy said:

Steel door sets are normally a fire doors, or is you premises nr the local crack den ?

1 hour ago, datadiffusion said:

This is Bath old chap, even the homeless gentlemen of the road won't lower themselves any further than Bells blended

:lol::lol: I should come here more often!

There is a built in mortice lock system with shoot bolts all around plus dog bolts.  This will be used to secure the door after closing time.  I thought it would be nice to have a mag lock during opening hours to allow staff to come and go with just a blip on a badge reader. 

If you can choose a time of day when the sun isn't sun glaring of your shiny fall pipes....

Take pic of the door you wish to secure, (both sides)

I'm happy to offer expert advice find some thing else to take the piss out of...

Mr? Veritas God

10 minutes ago, Driller said:

Pics? I'm not falling for that you know:lol:

but there's always a trap,

doors appear to be made to no recognised standard, apart for the option of a kitemarked euro cylinder ? 

sort of thing often found on a porta unit...

your mag lock will reduce the head of the door & should be in transom

if you've not purchased the door & frame, an alloy door with a sash lock & deadlock factory fitted would be my preference 

Mr? Veritas God

50 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

but there's always a trap,

Starting to get that after, what, 12 years?:lol:

your mag lock will reduce the head of the door & should be in transom

Didn't think of that, thank you, I'm 6'3" so will look at that carefully.  If it didn't interfere with the shoot bolt system, it could maybe go at the top of the jamb...

Door is all installed BTW.

a yale / cisa latch (you will need to fit the lock cylinder if its  he only entrance) or a surface solenoid bolt

is what I probably look to do.

Fail secure door release jobby? Keep it simple 

• 2 months later...

Fellas, can you confirm that the armature fixing bolt needs to go all the way through the door leaf and out the other side? Logically with the pulling forces involved I guess it must do but I never considered having a bolt head on the external side so it seems odd.  On the other hand I cant imagine sourcing an 8mm self cutting screw and holding it on with that. 

59 minutes ago, Driller said:

Fellas, can you confirm that the armature fixing bolt needs to go all the way through the door leaf and out the other side? Logically with the pulling forces involved I guess it must do but I never considered having a bolt head on the external side so it seems odd.  On the other hand I cant imagine sourcing an 8mm self cutting screw and holding it on with that. 

Straight through to next door

1 hour ago, Driller said:

Sometimes when I come here and ask questions, it reminds me of being at work.

If your taking about sex nuts in the surgery expect a tribunal .....

Sexnuts- A long female connector with a domed head on the outside of the door, which takes the set screw that holds the plate on.

This the std fixing which is in carboard box with the maglock

However you can buy an optional plate housing to avoid having a dome fasting on the door

Edited by MrHappy

Mr? Veritas God

Describes my assistant to a T :whistle: Don't know about the domed head though

Now going to decide whether to put it through the door or get an armature housing or even tap a hole as just found out there's a reinforcing plate in the door on the inside. But there's a more important problem.  All credit to you blokes for what you do-this is not easy and I've been buggering around with it for most of the day and I've got literally nothing done.

Unfortunately due to the size of the transom, I'm in a no-man's land whereby I can't directly mount the magnet as the line of holes on the opposite side of the mounting bracket to the door leaf are right on the edge of the transom but if I use an L bracket the magnet is about an inch away from the armature. So I'm going to have to order an adjustable Lbracket (I think) and that's the day wasted.

You live and learn.