Security Installer Community

Work extension and tech upgrade

Driller

Hi Everyone,

Hope all is well in the installer world.   A few of you may remember my installation of CCTV and Galaxy panels of a few years ago (and much mirth over drainpipes ;)). 

I'm going to be building a large extension on the work premises and although the current G2-44 with it's extra RIO panel should hold it's own, the analogue Techwin CCTV is going to need an upgrade to a 16 channel IP system.  Will probably upgrade the home system at the same time, this time with a bit more Symmetry perhaps...

It seems that a lot has changed in the time since the last install with IP being the go-to thing.  It would appear that in middle of the road systems there is a choice between 2MP with 4MP being even better if there is sufficient bandwidth in the network to support it.  Same principles for FOV and choosing lenses presumably.

Having got my head quite well around the analogue world I now find myself a newby in the world of IP.  Any general tips or recommendations? Will probably go for Techwin again for good quality to price ratio although they appear to have been bought out by another company.

In addition can anyone recommend a standalone duplex IP intercom system that could be used between say 10 rooms with each unit being able to call all the others, not necessarily with a door unit (this could be a separate system)?

Well, all the local medical establishments use either aiphone or Bosch for intercom, used to use Philips M100 but it appears thats long gone!

(I've just reread and see you were after voip anyway). I have setup an intercom using freepbx on a raspberry pi and cheap snom handsets. That way you can use the presets to dial a 'voice page' etc... which if answered becomes a speakerphone call.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

34 minutes ago, Driller said:

Hi Everyone,

Hope all is well in the installer world.   A few of you may remember my installation of CCTV and Galaxy panels of a few years ago (and much mirth over drainpipes ;)). 

I'm going to be building a large extension on the work premises and although the current G2-44 with it's extra RIO panel should hold it's own, the analogue Techwin CCTV is going to need an upgrade to a 16 channel IP system.  Will probably upgrade the home system at the same time, this time with a bit more Symmetry perhaps...

It seems that a lot has changed in the time since the last install with IP being the go-to thing.  It would appear that in middle of the road systems there is a choice between 2MP with 4MP being even better if there is sufficient bandwidth in the network to support it.  Same principles for FOV and choosing lenses presumably.

Having got my head quite well around the analogue world I now find myself a newby in the world of IP.  Any general tips or recommendations? Will probably go for Techwin again for good quality to price ratio although they appear to have been bought out by another company.

In addition can anyone recommend a standalone duplex IP intercom system that could be used between say 10 rooms with each unit being able to call all the others, not necessarily with a door unit (this could be a separate system)?

Seems you will be buying hiwatch made by hikvision plenty options available it seems , goto be better than swann.....

57 minutes ago, datadiffusion said:

Well, all the local medical establishments use either aiphone or Bosch for intercom, used to use Philips M100 but it appears thats long gone!

(I've just reread and see you were after voip anyway). I have setup an intercom using freepbx on a raspberry pi and cheap snom handsets. That way you can use the presets to dial a 'voice page' etc... which if answered becomes a speakerphone call.

That's an interesting idea.  We have an IP phone system in place with Cisco units so maybe that could be modified.  Need to be a one touch affair though.

28 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

Seems you will be buying hiwatch made by hikvision plenty options available it seems , goto be better than swann.....

Was hoping to avoid Hikvision, Swann no chance lol

24 minutes ago, datadiffusion said:

Axis ya tightwad!

Looks like their prices have dropped drastically, could be a possibility.  Any thoughts on 2mp vs 4mp?

Love the new multi quote system btw!

Edited by Driller

11 minutes ago, Driller said:

That's an interesting idea.  We have an IP phone system in place with Cisco units so maybe that could be modified.  Need to be a one touch affair though.

I know very little about Cisco as they are a bit proprietary for my liking, but on the snom I simply programmed each of the 12 fastdial keys with the voice page code followed by the extension, cloned the quickdials across all the units, and printed inlays as required.

I imagine the Cisco would offer pretty much exactly the same features though?

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

36 minutes ago, datadiffusion said:

I know very little about Cisco as they are a bit proprietary for my liking, but on the snom I simply programmed each of the 12 fastdial keys with the voice page code followed by the extension, cloned the quickdials across all the units, and printed inlays as required.

I imagine the Cisco would offer pretty much exactly the same features though?

That sounds like it could work well and I just just found the web based setup for the Ciscos so will give it a bash-thanks!

4 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Been a while since I have seen your name around, all well in the drilling dept?

Would a HD coax or hybrid solution be an option if you want to keep the existing without re-cabling?

You will need to think about your infrastructure and bandwidth if using IP, it all depends on the site.

Hi SWB, yeah the drilling's going good thanks, must be doing something right as they're dying to get in lol

TBH I think the easiest is going to be a rewire-it's all single storey with suspended ceilings so dead easy for pulling network cables and that way I get to sample the joy of IP.  For bandwidth presumably good quality CAT6 or 7 with a clean install and decent POE switch?

You still following F1? Rosberg finally got it (controversially) but it's all got a bit tedious now.

15 minutes ago, Driller said:

TBH I think the easiest is going to be a rewire-it's all single storey with suspended ceilings so dead easy for pulling network cables and that way I get to sample the joy of IP.  For bandwidth presumably good quality CAT6 or 7 with a clean install and decent POE switch?

You still following F1? Rosberg finally got it (controversially) but it's all got a bit tedious now.

If your planning a rewire then that's fine,  just thought I'd mention you can get HD on Coax if required.

Bandwidth of your network not the cable, you need to know a bit about networking to get it right. You don't want the camera system dragging your buildings internet speed to dial up speeds.

Don't believe CAT7 is a standard, Cat5e would be fine but CAT6 is better if cabling the whole building for IP.

Some NVR's have PoE built in or you may need injectors depending on the draw of the cameras or cable length.

Motorbikes here, not F1 that would be sjsturner your thinking of.

7 hours ago, Driller said:

That sounds like it could work well and I just just found the web based setup for the Ciscos so will give it a bash-thanks!

Hi SWB, yeah the drilling's going good thanks, must be doing something right as they're dying to get in lol

Hey! How’s it going dude?

still torturing people for a living :-)

Rosberg is your typical German driver, dirty as you like and win at any cost, but he did the job and he was fast, but the record and history books speak for themselves.

it has got a bit boring now, they need to dial the aero back a bit to make following easier.

Ferrari could have won this year, but they buckled under the pressure.

5 hours ago, james.wilson said:

or me I'm f1 plus he retired the season before

Still loitering around the paddock at the moment, getting involved in other drivers careers, namely Robert Cubica at present

Dammit, it's the Alzheimers setting in, we've had discussions about bikes too (Tiger Sport here), you did some track days if the memorie's not completely shot?  Actually that HD over coax could be very handy for upgrading home as the cables were a bit of a bitch to pull.  For the bandwidth question I assumed the two networks would be separate with just an ethernet cable to the NVR, could have got that wrong though.  There was a problem with the IP phones cocking up the computer network when the networks were connected together.

Ciscos are SPA504g don't know if that's Linksys or not?  It's a centrex system btw, very handy to be able to do everything at distance.

Didn't know you were an F1 fan James, what do you think of the new regs? Hoping it's going to be more interesting next year but don't we always.

19 minutes ago, Driller said:

Dammit, it's the Alzheimers setting in, we've had discussions about bikes too (Tiger Sport here), you did some track days if the memorie's not completely shot?  Actually that HD over coax could be very handy for upgrading home as the cables were a bit of a bitch to pull.  For the bandwidth question I assumed the two networks would be separate with just an ethernet cable to the NVR, could have got that wrong though.  There was a problem with the IP phones cocking up the computer network when the networks were connected together.

Ciscos are SPA504g don't know if that's Linksys or not?  It's a centrex system btw, very handy to be able to do everything at distance.

Didn't know you were an F1 fan James, what do you think of the new regs? Hoping it's going to be more interesting next year but don't we always.

Hello mate good to hear from you, yeah it's going good thanks, hope the installing's going well!  

Yeah Rosberg had that annoying entitled child aura about him didn't he but it made for exciting stuff with Hamilton.  Hamilton's massive engine failure (no, no!) was the nail in the coffin imo.  Didn't Rosberg steal all his engineers too? lol

Totally agree about the aero, they need to make it easier to overtake but the aero is big business apparently so it's not going to change any time soon, big shame.  I have to admit to taking some pleasure seeing Vettel throw his championship down the pan when he drove into Vestappen and Raikonnen :D

11 minutes ago, Driller said:

Hello mate good to hear from you, yeah it's going good thanks, hope the installing's going well!  

Yeah Rosberg had that annoying entitled child aura about him didn't he but it made for exciting stuff with Hamilton.  Hamilton's massive engine failure (no, no!) was the nail in the coffin imo.  Didn't Rosberg steal all his engineers too? lol

Totally agree about the aero, they need to make it easier to overtake but the aero is big business apparently so it's not going to change any time soon, big shame.  I have to admit to taking some pleasure seeing Vettel throw his championship down the pan when he drove into Vestappen and Raikonnen :D

Yeah it seemed like a stitch up but most likely just bad luck, he’s had some better luck this season.

i was talking to someone about Singapore after qualifying and I said don’t worry Max is lined up so he’s not gonna give an inch. I didn’t think they would collide but I knew Max would make it difficult for Vettel. Was a glorious crash, just a shame they collected Alonso as well as it would have been interesting watching him flog that Honda.

Ricciardo is another class driver, so late on the brakes, Redbull team is going to get real scrappy next year

just got to wait 4 months now :-(

1 hour ago, Driller said:

Your thinking of someone else again...

Yes. It would be sensible to pull separate cables for the whole network back to a cabinet and patch up as required if your starting again.

I like my motorsport well sport generally, but I just can't watch a full F1 race  just completely uninteresting to watch for a long time now, considering it's suppose to be the pinnacle of 4 wheels.

On 12/1/2017 at 08:53, sjsturner said:

Yeah it seemed like a stitch up but most likely just bad luck, he’s had some better luck this season.

i was talking to someone about Singapore after qualifying and I said don’t worry Max is lined up so he’s not gonna give an inch. I didn’t think they would collide but I knew Max would make it difficult for Vettel. Was a glorious crash, just a shame they collected Alonso as well as it would have been interesting watching him flog that Honda.

Ricciardo is another class driver, so late on the brakes, Redbull team is going to get real scrappy next year

just got to wait 4 months now :-(

Yeah it was glorious wasn't it, Hamilton must have had a massive grin on his face as he drove off into the sunset!

Hopefully the Renault engine will be up for it next year but a patient  who's a Renault F1 engineer reckon's they're still going to have problems, which is a great shame for the fans.  

On 12/1/2017 at 10:13, sixwheeledbeast said:

Your thinking of someone else again...

Yes. It would be sensible to pull separate cables for the whole network back to a cabinet and patch up as required if your starting again.

I like my motorsport well sport generally, but I just can't watch a full F1 race  just completely uninteresting to watch for a long time now, considering it's suppose to be the pinnacle of 4 wheels.

Yeah the way the building is laid out means the cables can easily be pulled back to node zero to keep the networks separated.  

It's a pity that bike racing isn't better televised because the racing is so much more exiting but it just doesn't have that "human" factor somehow probably from lack of publicity.

51 minutes ago, Driller said:

It's a pity that bike racing isn't better televised because the racing is so much more exiting but it just doesn't have that "human" factor somehow probably from lack of publicity.

This last season of the GP has been hotter than ever. While not everyone can access BT Sport they do a decent job of the coverage and improving each season so far.

Unless you ride you are unlikely have much interest or appreciate the talent and exciting racing on show, that's just the way it goes.

The 2015 finale was a royal stitch up!

marquez Pedrosa just parked the bus and let Lorenzo have it, really ****** me off as Marc always goes balls out for the win but on that day there was a different agenda.

felt sorry for Rossi, think he deserved it more. BTW I’m not and never have been a Rossi fan

Honda and Rossi will always have opposite agendas since they parted. 

2015 was an interesting season several debatable events right through the season, the back of the grid penalty at the last race didn't help for Rossi.

Lorenzo will never change, take "Suggested Mapping 8" as a fine example.

• Upvote 1

used to be interested in motorsport, 

nearest I got this yr is client referring to the rd outside there house as the "mulsanne straight" as he's unhappy with people speeding past

naturally the 500+ horsepower car in the garage has never been by anyone elses house at speed.... 

Edited by MrHappy

Mr? Veritas God