Jump to content
Security Installer Community

Honeywell Galaxy G2-20 - Unused Zones in Tamper


Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

I am attempting to install a Honeywell Galaxy G2-20 System. Having a background in electronic engineering (a degree many years ago), I thought that I may be able to install the system myself.

 

I have used the G2-20 with the RF Portal and several wireless detectors (3 x PIR's, 4 x door contacts), controlled through a Mk7 Keypad.

 

I have powered the main panel, the RF Portal and mounted all the detectors. I have then assigned all the wireless detectors and they all have a unique address.

 

My issue is that upon assigning these contacts, then attempting to come out of engineer mode the system fails the tamper checks. However, the zones that have the detectors have no issues, it is the zones that I not assigned any detectors to all show TAMPER (for reference these are zones 1014-1018).

 

If someone could help me by explain how what I have done incorrectly / not done in order to clear this issue I would be very grateful. Is there a way to 'permanently omit' these zones?

 

Regards,

 

James

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Olympus_Jim said:

Hi,

 

I am attempting to install a Honeywell Galaxy G2-20 System. Having a background in electronic engineering (a degree many years ago), I thought that I may be able to install the system myself.

 

I have used the G2-20 with the RF Portal and several wireless detectors (3 x PIR's, 4 x door contacts), controlled through a Mk7 Keypad.

 

I have powered the main panel, the RF Portal and mounted all the detectors. I have then assigned all the wireless detectors and they all have a unique address.

 

My issue is that upon assigning these contacts, then attempting to come out of engineer mode the system fails the tamper checks. However, the zones that have the detectors have no issues, it is the zones that I not assigned any detectors to all show TAMPER (for reference these are zones 1014-1018).

 

If someone could help me by explain how what I have done incorrectly / not done in order to clear this issue I would be very grateful. Is there a way to 'permanently omit' these zones?

 

Regards,

 

James

Put resistors into the spare zones on the panel , do it out of practice , although you can select from zone menu to not active or not in use

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

 

Thanks for all the replies.

 

I would be happy to programme the circuits as Spare in the panel, however, I have assigned these '00 - Not Active' driven from 52.1 in the Menu, but this has no effect upon the Tamper error messages.

 

With regards to the resistors, I am happy to do this, however, I do not understand what 'zones' to put the resistors in.

 

The Wireless RF module is connected through the RS485 terminals (not the zone terminals).

 

So, on the G2-20 panel, I have 12 zone terminals, how do I work out which of these terminal connections will short zones 1014,1015,1016,1017 and 1018.

 

Apologies if I am missing something obvious.

 

James

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Olympus_Jim said:

Hi all,

 

Thanks for all the replies.

 

I would be happy to programme the circuits as Spare in the panel, however, I have assigned these '00 - Not Active' driven from 52.1 in the Menu, but this has no effect upon the Tamper error messages.

 

With regards to the resistors, I am happy to do this, however, I do not understand what 'zones' to put the resistors in.

 

The Wireless RF module is connected through the RS485 terminals (not the zone terminals).

 

So, on the G2-20 panel, I have 12 zone terminals, how do I work out which of these terminal connections will short zones 1014,1015,1016,1017 and 1018.

 

Apologies if I am missing something obvious.

 

James

 

 

'Not Used' and 'Spare' are different options.  Not used is for ignoring the zone activation when in full, part or night setting mode.  Spare is a global setting across all three modes and causes the system to ignore everything about the zone.  Ie. if a spare zone is in tamper it will be ignored.  If a not active zone is in tamper, it will report tamper.  Adding a single resistor across the zone is recommended, but isn't really necessary. There isn't any hysteresis of the input, as it's already pulled to a level by the internal part of the double balanced circuit and not just floating around causing additional noise.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi James,

 

Thanks for the reply.

 

Just to get it clear in my head, could you give me a little more direction on the position of the 1k resistors.

 

My understanding is that these are fitted to the RIO Zones on the bottom of the board I have taken a photo of of my panel. 

 

As such in order to 'short' zones 1014,1015,1016,1017 and 1018 I would put resistors in the following:

 

In the Section Marked 'RIO 0' I would put a resistor across the '1', thus relating it to RIO ADDRESS 01.

 

In the Section Marked 'RIO 1' I would put resistors across the '4,'5,6,7,8', thus giving me the Zone Addresses 4,5,6,7,8.

 

Is this correct??

 

James

IMG_3096.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi GalaxyGuy,

 

Many thanks for this, I have changed status to 'Spare' and now have an operational alarm, I knew it would be me missing something obvious!!

 

I would appreciate if someone could just confirm if my logic with regards to the resistors so that I can just finish the installation officially.

 

Regards,

 

James

Link to post
Share on other sites

You never mentioned a tamper on 1001, so unless that zone is not being used, then no resistor required there.  You aren't shorting the zones, you're just setting the zone permanently closed by placing 1k across the zone to ground (0v).  Zones that are 1k are closed. Zones at 2k are open. On the G2, any higher or lower resistances are tamper.  The resistance boundaries are in the manual.  Here's the zones info for your G2:

 

On the left block (RIO 0)   zones are:

1001

1002

1003

1004

On the right hand block (RIO1) zones are:

1011

1012

1013

1014  - Resistor to 0v

1015  - Resistor to 0v

1016  - Resistor to 0v

1017  - Resistor to 0v

1018  - Resistor to 0v

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As Galaxy Guy has explained.

See attached photo.

But cut your resistors down, I've left them long so you can see how to fit yours.

Your resistors could also be green not blue. 

 

20171126_002854.jpg

Edited by Jms
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

 

Many thanks for all your help it is much appreciated. I will fit the resistors as your photo shows as the panel came with a lot of resistors in the pack of which all are blue, and which I have used on the terminals within the keypad. 

 

Alarm is now operational and all I have to do now is configure the system for full set / night set, which will be my other job for today. 

 

Thanks again.

 

James

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Olympus_Jim said:

Hi all,

 

Many thanks for all your help it is much appreciated. I will fit the resistors as your photo shows as the panel came with a lot of resistors in the pack of which all are blue, and which I have used on the terminals within the keypad. 

 

Alarm is now operational and all I have to do now is configure the system for full set / night set, which will be my other job for today. 

 

Thanks again.

 

James

You mean you used a 680ohm in keypad ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

 

Yes, apologies I checked the keypad and it is the 680 ohm resistor I have used in the keypad.

 

I have another quick question if someone could help me.

 

The new alarm is in the same position as an old system. I have gone for the wireless RF for all the detectors but to avoid the requirement to start chasing into walls I am utilising the old wiring from the panel to the bell box (which is also the original).

 

However, the bell box is not in a good position and has been located for ease rather than function. My question is are then any wireless bell boxes on the market that are compatible with the G2 that will avoid me having to put chases through 3 rooms.

 

Regards,

 

James 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.