Security Installer Community

Nexus 8 keypad and PIR question

hi everyone, would appreciate your help.

We have a nexus 8 burglar alarm installed - it's about 7 years'  old. Seems to be working fine but I have a question. It has two keypads and several PIR's.

question 1: Is there a way to silence the keypads (i.e. when entering/exiting) - I couldn't find anything in the manual? Even if we could silence one keypad and not the other that would be great. (one keypad is upstairs and one is in a self-contained basement flat which occasionally we rent out and it seems to freak out the guests if they hear beeping as we come and go upstairs!).

question 2: is there a way to turn off the blue lights on the PIR's? one is in the basement bedroom and guests have complained that it can keep them awake when it goes off

thank you!

Gus

Hi and welcome, I am not familiar with the panel, but you cannot silence keypads on most systems. My advice would be to disconnect the basement keypad at the panel. 

You can disable the led on most pirs there is normally a link in the detector. When was the system last serviced? Have you changed the battery in the last 7 years?

personally I'd replace the controls as yours is DIY gash from maplins

if your prepared to spend to a couple of hundred pounds you should be able to get a new set of controls with 2 new rkps, a battery & external box, which work as your desire.

if you too cheap & want a diy fix, remove 1 keypad & deselect the led on the pir

Mr? Veritas God

thank you @peter james & @MrHappy

it was installed by a 'so-called' professional - always had my doubts about him  - and if I'd had known that nexus is a Maplins job I'd have probably refused it!

thanks for the tips on disconnection - can I do this DIY or should I get someone in to do it?  We're in NW London - what would it cost to get someone in (ball park)? could I do this as part of an overall system service? what does a service consist of - is it worth it on a cheap Maplins system? 

re: new system - this one has worked fine to date - so not sure it's quite worth binning yet - are there lots of features of new systems that I'm missing out on?

thanks again!

I'd assume open unwanted keypad, snip each wire in turn.

Turn off on other keypad & see if it sets ?

I doubt the system knows who many keypads are fitted but might have global tamper.

Led on pir will be jumper or dil switch  setting...

You can have loads of amazing features on an new alarm control, however there very few that want to pay proper money...

Mr? Veritas God

This panel is most likely DIY so you will struggle to find a good company that would take it on.

But if the cabling and detectors are good then try www.nsi.org.uk or ssiab.co.uk you can search by postcode and these companies are professional, the bonus of them being approved is if they do let you down then you can complain to their inspectorate 

• 2 months later...

One thing you might be missing out on is the pro panels they have the option to divide in to areas so say area "A" main house and area "b" flat. this can then be set on most so when setting the main house there is no tones from the keypad in the flat and the same the other way. You can also have it so the code for area "B" does not work for area "A"