Security Installer Community

Magnetic Contacts Sticking on Un-Opened Windows

47 minutes ago, aechlin said:

Why do you need 22 contacts anyway? You only need to put them on external entries/exits, let the PIR's do their job.

Alistair

Depends on how many opener's he has

Pirs won't do perimeter protection but save money tho

1 hour ago, james.wilson said:

As 6wb to lower risk to prevent doors being left open as well as detection

Need grade 3 then , I seen doors left ajar where contact just comes within range to set lol but I guess still protected 

6 hours ago, aechlin said:

Why do you need 22 contacts anyway? You only need to put them on external entries/exits, let the PIR's do their job.

Alistair

Just belt-and-braces.

I notice since I installed my new SW 10-70 panel, I haven't had any false alarms. Separate tampers for each zone, so the sum of series resistances is less (11 sensors plus junction boxes, bell box, keypads etc). Maybe the immunity against transients spikes  and  bad connections due to tarnished tamper connections in junction boxes is better?

True story this, today after 3 years in storage we wheeled out our (new at the time) Bosch dishwasher and said goodbye to the crappy built-in one that came with the house.

To my annoyance, it went into error 5 minutes after every cycle, even though it had been cleaned and drained before we moved.

What was it? The flow switch uses an externally mounted reed over a sealed into the main water jacket rotating wheel with magnet. Jammed shut. Mild percussion maintainance fixed the machine :)

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

26 minutes ago, datadiffusion said:

Don't worry we've got 2 whippets and an outside toilet so you wouldn't feel too left out!

Tha moved t' Barnsley, pop rand I'll get't pan on t'ob forra brew. 

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

11 hours ago, Eugene's DIY Den said:

I notice since I installed my new SW 10-70 panel, I haven't had any false alarms. Separate tampers for each zone, so the sum of series resistances is less (11 sensors plus junction boxes, bell box, keypads etc). Maybe the immunity against transients spikes  and  bad connections due to tarnished tamper connections in junction boxes is better?

What firmware is on panel?

49 minutes ago, Eugene's DIY Den said:

Not sure, it's two years old. Why do you ask?

Just wondering how you update it , your in Ireland yes? 

Updates allow you to use some new devices that come out and fix any issues , although mostly I only needed to update for devices , firmware seems stable otherwise 

4 hours ago, al-yeti said:

Just wondering how you update it , your in Ireland yes? 

Updates allow you to use some new devices that come out and fix any issues , although mostly I only needed to update for devices , firmware seems stable otherwise 

Yes, I'm in Ireland. I presume firmware upgrades can be installed via an RS232 serial connection to a laptop or similar, but  you have to be a professional installer to download them from the manufacturer's website. I'm curious though what constitutes an alarm condition on a sensor. I.e how long contacts have to be open in order to trigger the panel. If this was relatively long, it could make the panel more immune to transients. A magnetic contact/ PIR contact would probably open for 100ms. A transient could be shorter, but the software might detect it if it's scanning everything rapidly. On a couple of occasions with my old panel, a zone triggered with the panel armed when I pulled out a mains plug. The alarm cable was quite close to the mains cable though.

7 hours ago, james.wilson said:

, If not an analysed circuit then the response time is greater than 300ms exactly for this purpose

On older "dumber" panels, would it have been less than this?