Security Installer Community

Magnetic Contacts Sticking on Un-Opened Windows

9 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

If the gap is too wide the reed may not close / may open after a period of being set

Depending on the case design you mage be able to double up the magnets which give them more "pull"

I could probably piggy-back the magnets and use long screws. I would prefer to keep the contacts off the chamfer if possible, plus the wiring would have to be  stretched (mightn't be possible) , plus holes where the contacts were, left visible in the window. About 22 pairs are like this.

Edited by Eugene's DIY Den

3 hours ago, Eugene's DIY Den said:

I could probably piggy-back the magnets and use long screws. I would prefer to keep the contacts off the chamfer if possible, plus the wiring would have to be  stretched (mightn't be possible) , plus holes where the contacts were, left visible in the window. About 22 pairs are like this.

Looking at that frame it's messed up, you could drill in and out from the chamfer if your going enough 

If you ever remove the contacts which I doubt you can always have all the upvc repaired these days but if it's your windows you can do as you need to 

www.upvcdoctor.co.uk

They normally charge for a set of windows in the big scheme of things it's cheaper than trying replace or bodge it yourself 

Or similar companies that was an example 

• 2 months later...

Going to back to what H said earlier, didn't Ade, or maybe the Knight's chap,  once imply that reeds are no longer made in the UK and the 2 qualities are basically 'USA or China' with nothing inbetween, as it were?

I think he also said that often quantities needed dictated ordering from both areas more often than not, so there is no easy way of knowing where your reed came from in your otherwise 'UK made' contact.

I have had loads of failures, usually stuck closed, with those Ventcroft 'Premium' contacts, I don't use them any more, shame as they are a nice looking surface contact with easy EoL and a decent tamper spring.

I use Knights for surface inc. industrial and RSD etc... and Elmdene circular Quickfits for flush.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

• 1 year later...