Security Installer Community

Alarm Problem

Guest advent750

Does it still work without the battery connected?

If so I reckon the monitoring circuitry must be looking for 18Vac (rated in manual) as the system operates but the message is still displayed.

If you don't know......ask.

I think you may be right Bri, the panel circuity is looking for a higher voltage and reporting a fault becuse its lower than expected.

The panel will probably work ok, except for showing the fault.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Guest advent750

The transformer has two 12v tappings, how much voltage can be put into the board and what is the required amount. I thought the 12v with a high va would be ok.

I think that doubling the tappings to get 24Vac could probably blow the regulator, because after rectifying & smoothing it`ll be nearer 36VDC into the regulator.

There aren`t many regulator`s that will tolerate that voltage input.

Best bet is to replace it with an 18VAC TX of simillar rating.

The transformer has two 12v tappings, how much voltage can be put into the board and what is the required amount. I thought the 12v with a high va would be ok.

30792[/snapback]

The manual specifies 18Vac. i don't like to see them much over 20Vac on any panel. 24Vac (across both tappings) may be ok, but, I think the panel struggling with under or over voltage will cause problems in the end.

If you don't know......ask.

Guest advent750

Ok I will try and get an 18v transformer and change that. One more thing can anyone recommend anything to fit at the end of the driveway which is approx 100yds from the house to indicate when anything comes onto the drive. Prefer a wireless option at the moment.

Guest advent750

What size of battery would you recommend fitting. I was only replacing what was originally there, as fitted by a Professional company.

I dont see the problem in fitting a 7AH battery with this panel, its charging circuit can easilly cope with it. We fit 7AH batteries as standard in most panels we fit.

Also the cost of the battery and TX would still be less than the price of most companies callouts, and his time is free so no charge for that.

Ok I agree that most engineers wouldn`t have changed the TX in the 1st place, so that was a needless cost.

I was under the impression that the new EN regs will mean that we will all have to fit bigger batteries to accomodate the required longer standby times hence the reason why panel boxes have got bigger while the pcbs get smaller.

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

Have you checked how much a 7ah battery draws from flat, its alot more than most 1.5 amp PSU,S can supply.
99% of control panels limit the current available to charging batteries to a few hundred milliamps max, and as of yet I have NEVER encountered a totally dead new battery.

Anyway a panel will slowly charge the battery over a 24hr period from dead, these gell cell batteries arent designed to be fast charged.

I sort of agree with Pete in that the likely charge current should be factored in when designing the system because the cc is part of the current draw. In practical terms though as long as all the gear connected to the panel is well within the panels spec things should be OK, and just because the spec says 1Ah output available taking a panel upto 980ma is not a good idea. Additional PSUs without a common neg to the panel can sort out loads of problems anyway.

The only panels that I have seen blow a fuse trying to charge a flat batt are optimas.

Additional PSUs without a common neg to the panel can sort out loads of problems anyway.

Dont you mean WITH a common neg mate

Mark Hawks

Hmm ok correct me if im wrong here but surely you should common up the negs on any psus used to power the system

Mark Hawks

Fair enough although i always common negs on psus, latch or not

Mark Hawks

theres nothing wrong with that but sometimes removing the common neg leg can solve those daft faults. Dont ask me why!

30989[/snapback]

It could be due the automatic battery test the panel does..

Archived