Security Installer Community

Intruder alarm Smoke sensor recommendations

Mark Rider

Just be wary if you have a bathroom in close proximity of the proposed location for the detector as the steam can cause some detectors to trigger

I rate the cooper / Menvier M12 detectors as they can be changed from smoke to heat or a combination unit with dip switches inside

they can do any of the following combinations:-

Optical

Optical & rate of rise

Rate of rise

Fixed Temperature

I tried the M12's once; the older model (forget the code) was fine, had a load of FA's on a M12 set to heat-only, which never really was satisfactorily resolved; just to add into the mix

the panel itself was changed due to odd behaviour for a completely different make. It was expansion bus related, and this sensor was direct on the panel, but who knows, it put me off them sadly.

I would better take advice from someone that has fitted lots of M12's though.

However, I have fitted a few Texecom ones and are usually fine, had a bit of a 'bad run' with them (2-3 from the same era, so presumably the same batch) but installed many before and since without issues.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

'Intruder fire' can be safe - and an approved method - but for full acceptance needs a lot more expenditure i.e power backup++ over and above what most panels can supply on-board.

Agreed with H for DIY (ironically) 'mains' is best.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't aware of that product, and I thought I knew the entire Aico range!

I knew they did 12v and even 9v battery interlinked models but not in the modern style case like this.

Well, was modern until the very newest style mains case.

Edited by datadiffusion

As above, fitted Aico 350's, 414's and then smokes and co's, with radio bases and or relay bases, the 414 fired two Tunstall roms which were hooked up to the warden call, thus signalling fire or carbon monoxide, this would impact on what emergency services, etc would be notified if no reply from the property. 

I agree a mains interlinked smoke alarm would be a better all round solution, I've fitted countless aico smoke detectors had very few issues and really rate them...

The other point to consider is if you get any false alarms from one linked to your intruder alarm then your external bell is also likely to sound

• 1 month later...

We use the coopers M12 and fit remote sounders and an Expander PSU - along with Ion 40H remote access to sys

tem  with coms works very well and quick and easy to identifie fault/fire alarm  not always so easy on the mains operated ones

• Like 1

www.AllanMoncrieffAlarms.com

20 hours ago, SouthernBrad said:

We usually use the M12's and have not had any issues.

I also have had them at home for about 3.5 years and have been trouble free. They are also one of the better looking detectors too in my opinion.

I agree, I think they are the most pleasing on the eye