Security Installer Community

Hello all,

A few months back I installed a Texecom Premier Elite 48 control panel, with Ricochet PIR's, door contacts, a could of hard wired devices.

Along-side this system, I wanted to be able to be alerted to any alarms so bought a GSM communicator plugin for it. The part number is CEG1000.

The set-up took a few reads of the manual, but I got there and it was all working very well, it was tested, receiving messages, replying to them and alerting me if an alarm was activated. A few weeks after installation the system started beeping intermittently and gave me an error message:

ATH Path Fault

COM1 Fault

No ATS Available.

I put it into engineer mode, disconnected the communicator from COM1, opened it up, gave it a good old clean out and plugged it back in. The system happily accepted it and all was right in the security world. The device then started to throw this error again, and it grew more frequent, first a month, then a fortnight, a week, a day, an hour, and now it is a matter of seconds.

I'm wondering if someone could point me towards exactly what I should be looking at, as the cause of the issue.

I have verified the sim card works, the panel is communicating with the GSM device and vice versa.

Having looked around the forum I have found many people with this error, but they all seem to be using the DigiCom devices which are connected to the phone lines.

The GSM module was bought second hand, so I am aware that this may play a part, but before I get in contact with the person it was purchased from, I want to make sure I rule out all other problems.

Anything I can try and test would be greatly appreciated.

John

Picture of device: http://imgur.com/a/F3BU0

Picture of model: http://imgur.com/a/10vou

iMrRq2b.jpg

B19BM3c.jpg

What do you mean have it a good old clean?

And what happens if you remove the gsm unit completely , is it that the GSM signal is dropping out and it is looking for an alternative path ? But you don't have one 

The gsm device what type of antenna is it , communication doesn't mean it isn't dropping out 

I literally mean what I said. I dismantled the device, ensured there was not dust between the sim card and any of the contacts, or anywhere else within the device or the system itself.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about removing the GSM unit completely. Well the error stops of course, because there is no unit there.

As for the signal dropping out, there is a chart in the manual: http://imgur.com/a/OWSIj

Lights 1 & 2 either stay solid green or flash, indicating they are communication or ready to communicate.

Light 3 confuses me a little because it flashes quite rapidly, but the chart doesn't list anything about fast flashing. Perhaps it is slow flashing and I am misinterpreting it.

The antenna is the one which came with it: http://imgur.com/a/GivHQ - note; I am aware it is not screwed into the wall and this has been on my to do list, but as I previously said it was working perfectly for quite some times before the issues persisted.

If you think this could make a difference, I'm happy to go and get that done now.

My understanding with GSM is if it drops out, it will just reconnect at the first available opportunity.

Could increasing the ATS fault setting help in this issue do you think?

Increasing the ATS Fault delay would only mask an issue.

The aerial could do with mounting correctly, making sure it's the right way round.

The unit should be powered down from the COM port if you remove the SIM for whatever reason, which I believe you did?

The third light flashing indicates you have marginal signal so I would assume it's just a case of poor signal.

Try resiting the aerial or switching networks until your signal is good, solid light.

26 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

The aerial could do with mounting correctly, making sure it's the right way round.

The unit should be powered down from the COM port if you remove the SIM for whatever reason, which I believe you did?

The third light flashing indicates you have marginal signal so I would assume it's just a case of poor signal.

Try resiting the aerial or switching networks until your signal is good, solid light.

Swb hardcore as usual

Can he get a different antenna? 

20 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

In regards to mounting the antenna correctly, this won't be a problem, however you mention "making sure it is the right way round". The manual I have doesn't mention mounting it any specific way. I have attached the manual I've been following.

Where I live is notorious for bad signal, so I'm going to try a different sim card on a network I know has better coverage

I will report back as soon as I have any updates.

Also sixwheeled beast, al-yeti made a comment about another antenna. I am interested in getting the best signal possible, I presume any GSM antenna will work with this device?

##Manual Removed###

Edited by sixwheeledbeast
No manuals posted in public please.

T-Bar aerials normally have a indicator for ground, which should point down to the ground.

You can try different aerials but you have to be careful you don't create more issues.

For example, you could use a longer aerial (or extension) to get to an area of better coverage, however, the longer cable could decrease the benefits from that.

I hate tbar aerials, i like the stubby that Webway offer as a premium over the hateful (imo) tbar

4 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

T-Bar aerials normally have a indicator for ground, which should point down to the ground.

You can try different aerials but you have to be careful you don't create more issues.

For example, you could use a longer aerial (or extension) to get to an area of better coverage, however, the longer cable could decrease the benefits from that.

but as above often a high gain will also receive more noise too and then loose the good signal in cable losses

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

id agree but i see the stats of proper comms and polling is the only way to prove the path is reliable. In the old days we said x amount of forward signal strength means high probability we all know now that means nothing

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Okay, so I have done some experimenting this evening with the antenna. I am either getting no light at all (which according to the manual means "No Signal" or less than 40%) or a fast flashing light, which the manual actually has N/A for, as in it shouldn't do fast flashing as there is no definition for it.

The antenna I have is indeed a T-bar and after studying it closer I found an E, which I presumed meant earth, so mounted that pointing down. Unfortunately this hasn't changed anything.

As I said I find it very odd that it was working find for so long, then slowly started to go wrong.

I have also tried another sim card on a totally different network (one which I know has good coverage) and get the same results.

I also tried moving the antenna temporarily into a different room, but the wire isn't long enough to get near the window (which is where it is recommended to be mounted).

So which option should I go with, should I buy an extension for the antenna and put it near a window and give that a try, or should I cut my losses and get a totally new "high-gain antenna" (or a non high-gain one?).

In the event of new antenna, any recommendations would be appreciated, as the only thing I know about this GSM device is it uses 2G, so would literally be searching eBay for something like "2G GSM antenna".

Oh one small note, upon examining the cable of the antenna I found the following: http://imgur.com/a/aMUYh - There is a very very small split in the wire, however none of the braiding has been damaged in any way. Could this have had anything to do with it?

cheers  for continued help!

GIhgWK2.jpg

Edited by james.wilson
added images to post

It's a shame allot of these products can't be mounted further away as you can't extend the data connection

Maybe everyone has to switch back to dial capture and all is well

Edited by datadiffusion

That's exactly how the new Webway device works if I understand it. You can have a 2nd 3G module remote from the first by using 4 core alarm wire, i.e a data + power connection.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

20 hours ago, al-yeti said:

It's a shame allot of these products can't be mounted further away as you can't extend the data connection

Maybe everyone has to switch back to dial capture and all is well

The manual states that "The aeriel lead may be extended by a maximum of 10 Mtrs" - so I presume my best option for now is to find an extension cable.

Could someone please point me to somewhere I can purchase said extension cable?

However if someone thinks a different antenna is a better idea, please point me in that direction.

Trying to get this sorted before I go away for obvious reasons.

Ta!

18 minutes ago, neon555 said:

The manual states that "The aeriel lead may be extended by a maximum of 10 Mtrs" - so I presume my best option for now is to find an extension cable.

Could someone please point me to somewhere I can purchase said extension cable?

However if someone thinks a different antenna is a better idea, please point me in that direction.

Trying to get this sorted before I go away for obvious reasons.

Ta!

I meant the device not the aerial , some devices work off a buss like the webway and so , and you can mount it away from the panel but these cards you can't 

9 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

I meant the device not the aerial , some devices work off a buss like the webway and so , and you can mount it away from the panel but these cards you can't 

Yes I understand the device has to be mounted next to the control panel. I am asking for advice on an extension cable for the antenna. Or (as some people has expressed disdain for the T- bar antenna) a totally new antenna, one which will be good in low signal areas.

On 8/30/2017 at 09:13, sixwheeledbeast said:

They are SMA connectors.

I have used SMA to F type connectors in the past to utilise existing loft bound coaxial.

Obviously you need to end up with male/female to make an extension lead.

I've found the following on ebay: Lead

It says it is for WiFi but has the same connections. Will this lead be okay for use as an extension for a GSM device?

58 minutes ago, neon555 said:

Could someone please point me to a reputable website which sells either good quality extension cables, or new 2G GSM antennas please

There's many

https://www.gsm-antennas.co.uk/cable-extensions-ethernet-power-leads-sma/sma-extension-cable-range-low-loss.html?limit=all

Just a quick  question   on your phone  is mobile data reception any better out side in the garden,  if yes can you fit t bar outside  the higher up the better.

On gsm band the loss on coax length at 10m is extremely high  wifi coax may look the same but it is just  cheap  tat at this band.    A high gain antenna from  a redcare gsm module or gsm antenna from a car phone kit might solve the problem try flea bay