Jump to content
Security Installer Community
brokenrecord

Veritas R8 help needed

Recommended Posts

Hi folks - anyone got any wisdom to share?

 

We have a Veritas R8 installed in our rented bungalow (I think - that's what it says on the control panel).
We never use it as we have a cat... 

 

Lately it's been going off a lot. The box for it is up in the loft. We hear it making a noise and then you go to the control panel. It isn't doing anything. If you push buttons the control panel starts beeping. Put in the code and it stops. Happening about twice a day. 

 

Also the light outside is flashing intermittently for hours and sometimes it won't turn off at all. 

I really just want to disable the whole thing - can anyone tell me how? 

 

cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, brokenrecord said:

Hi folks - anyone got any wisdom to share?

 

We have a Veritas R8 installed in our rented bungalow (I think - that's what it says on the control panel).
We never use it as we have a cat... 

 

Lately it's been going off a lot. The box for it is up in the loft. We hear it making a noise and then you go to the control panel. It isn't doing anything. If you push buttons the control panel starts beeping. Put in the code and it stops. Happening about twice a day. 

 

Also the light outside is flashing intermittently for hours and sometimes it won't turn off at all. 

I really just want to disable the whole thing - can anyone tell me how? 

 

cheers

What's landlord say? Is he willing to fix it and get an engineer in and pay for it?

 

Or did he say you guys do as you need to 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me it sounds like you have an intermittent tamper issue....

All the devices within a normal alarm system  (detectors / bellbox / control panel / keypad etc) are normally tamper protected (I use the term normally as not every body installs to the same standards)

Its is likely that there is an issue with one of these devices or the cable that goes to it.

 

I would be certainly asking the landlord (or reviewing your tenancy agreement) to understand where the responsibility lies before doing anything  .:ninja:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would tell the landlord to sort it and can't (can) believe they would invite a tenant to interfere with mains electricity / high voltage bellboxes at height etc...


So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like the landlord needs to get someone out to either service it or decommission it.

If your a tenant it's not your call on having it removed etc.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, brokenrecord said:

Ha, thanks both. 

My agent told me to google it. 


Would you say it needs an engineer then, and it's not something I could sort myself?

If cost is reasonable and repairable then how long you staying there is worth a little security 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As above it's more than likely (unless expressly excluded in your agreement) your Landlord's responsibility, why bother wasting your time?


Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was easier to spend time seeing if i could fix the alarm myself than spend the time convincing my letting agent to fulfill their part of the bargain! 

But i've shown them your responses and now we will get an engineer - thanks everyone! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My family has a property they rent out and it has an alarm in it, if there were any issues with it I certainly would not expect the current tenant to put their hand in their pocket to resolve unless it was due to malicious damage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/08/2017 at 13:20, norman said:

As above it's more than likely (unless expressly excluded in your agreement) your Landlord's responsibility, why bother wasting your time?

 

25 minutes ago, aissecur said:

My family has a property they rent out and it has an alarm in it, if there were any issues with it I certainly would not expect the current tenant to put their hand in their pocket to resolve unless it was due to malicious damage. 

 


Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, aissecur said:

My family has a property they rent out and it has an alarm in it, if there were any issues with it I certainly would not expect the current tenant to put their hand in their pocket to resolve unless it was due to malicious damage. 

Doesn't even make sense , if landlord isn't bothered and tenant doesn't mind paying , don't be Muppets

 

Adt make good money on rentals , landlord gets a box on the house , all at tenants cost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's existing it should be covered unless explicitly excluded. 


Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.