Security Installer Community

8 core cable internal sounder + PIR

Cluel3ss

Hi,

I have a Texecom Premier Elite 24 which i'm just about to install. I've prewired my house with 8 core alarm cable.

There's a room where I will be having a Texecom RKP and a PIR, so i've got 2 cables already in there.

However i'm now thinking it would be a good idea to have an internal sounder in this room.

The internal sounders i've looked at appear to have 5 connections, my PIR will be using 4 cores (FSL wiring).

Is there any way I can "piggy back" off the PIR wiring for the sounder or is it a non-starter?

I think I should be able to use the power wires in parallel to the sounder, then use the remaining cores.

I'd be grateful for your help.

2 hours ago, Cluel3ss said:

Hi,

I have a Texecom Premier Elite 24 which i'm just about to install. I've prewired my house with 8 core alarm cable.

There's a room where I will be having a Texecom RKP and a PIR, so i've got 2 cables already in there.

However i'm now thinking it would be a good idea to have an internal sounder in this room.

The internal sounders i've looked at appear to have 5 connections, my PIR will be using 4 cores (FSL wiring).

Is there any way I can "piggy back" off the PIR wiring for the sounder or is it a non-starter?

I think I should be able to use the power wires in parallel to the sounder, then use the remaining cores.

I'd be grateful for your help.

What sounder

3 hours ago, Cluel3ss said:

Noted it being not best practice, but presumably the approach I said would work? i.e. parallel power wires, then use the spare cables for the sounder.

This is the one I was looking at: http://www.cqr.co.uk/m-sounders/piccolo-2/

Assuming your not grade 3 bank or something 

Double up the strobe and sounder, and ignore the tamper if you don't need it, but your wrong on power the plus and minus is for an output so it won't do you know good power the Pir and sounder together, that will mean sounder is always on

You need two cores minimum, then two more if you want the tamper used 

Edited by al-yeti

56 minutes ago, Rulland said:

Huh!, I don't understand your reply Al, power piggy backed to sounder hold off, spare cores used for the remainder of connections to bell, strobe etc.

You did look at sounder yes?what holdoff? 

Perhaps I confused.....

6 hours ago, al-yeti said:

Assuming your not grade 3 bank or something 

Double up the strobe and sounder, and ignore the tamper if you don't need it, but your wrong on power the plus and minus is for an output so it won't do you know good power the Pir and sounder together, that will mean sounder is always on

You need two cores minimum, then two more if you want the tamper used 

Referring to the cqr sounder you linked only 

Thanks for your replies, i'm getting that it's a bad idea so I won't do that.

The room is a garden office. The internal sounder idea is an afterthought, I figured that it would make it undesirable for a potential intruder to stick around if there's an internal sounder.

I don't have the option of running any new cable to it, however I do have some CAT6 solid core cables also going to the room, could I use one of those for the sounder?

Or is that still a bad idea?

Mine is a plastic panel so it would be grade 2 at best, but i'm not a professional installer so I don't think grading counts for much. That said I would like to keep it as close to best practice/standards (despite my initial post!)

Edited by Cluel3ss
Grade 2 comment