Security Installer Community

Keypad on Galaxy Flex 20 only shows ********

Good morning,

I've assembled the parts of the Galaxy Flex 20 I got the day before yesterday and am having trouble with the keypad. When powering up the system, it beeps and shows a bunch of "*****" on the lcd.

1. I've connected the keypad to the PCB using Cat5, to the green terminal block on the right hand side of the PCB, with single strands to each terminal and I've put a 680Ohm resistor on the AB terminals of the keypad ( (please see attached picture)
  2. I've used a multi meter to double check the wires are OK. Voltage on the keypad between + and - is 13V.
  3. The keypad address initially I set to B, and then learned only 0-7 are allowed, so I put it back to '0' (after powering off the system)
  4. Yesterday evening I talked to the guy who sold it to me and he said I made the right connections.
  5. I leave the cover open, but put a tape on the tamper switch to keep it closed
  6. I've read this earlier post and answers: 

So I'm stuck and would appreciate any feedback.

Cheers,

Bram

Wiring PCB and Keypad.png

Edited by Bram de Vries
added a new bullet

What does the LED on the panel board do? When initially powering it should give a quick flash. It should then light up constant after about 30 seconds, then after that it should give a quick flash every 1.5 seconds.  If this was a sold as seen panel and it does not do as above, then it's faulty.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. And you seem to confirm that my wiring is OK.

Al-yeti:

I'm not 100% what a bench test is, but I'm putting it all together on the dinner table, before hanging it in the closet where the electricity comes into the house.

I bought it from https://www.larcoz.nl/product-categorie/alarmsystemen/

I've made additional pictures, please see attached collage. Note that I have not connected the Ethernet module on purpose (first wanted to get the panel and keypad working without that potentially complicating things).

GalaxyGuy:

The LED flashes and doesn't stop after 30 seconds. I've waited over a minute and then took the power off. I hope the keypad isn't faulty, but it appears you are right.

Cheers,

Bram

PCB and components.jpg

17 minutes ago, GalaxyGuy said:

Flashes straight away at power up ?  If so, then sounds like a faulty board.

Just to confirm this: It should be a single quick flash at power up, then the LED should go off for about 20 to 30 seconds while the firmware boots. After booting, the LED will then light constant, then after scanning the bus it will pulse quickly.

Just to be sure I tried Al-Yeti's suggestion (thanks!), but to no avail.

GalaxyGuy, thanks for describing the normal behavior. The way I first understood it was that you were talking about the LED of the Keypad. But I think now you meant the PCB and it behaves exactly as you described (quick flash, 30 or so seconds dimmed, then steady light - and I had disconnected the KeyPad).

Then I reconnected the Keypad and waited for about two minutes and then, after scanning the bus, the Keypad started showing initialization information about timezone and region, then rebooted. So, much progress, thanks!

Tomorrow I'll continue (need some rest now, 0:30am :-)

Cheers,

Bram

Yes, I was talking about the control panel LED. The keypad needs to be on the bus at a valid address when the panel boots and scans the bus looking for devices. With the Flex, you can add devices and scan for them with menu 72, but you need that first keypad addressed on the bus in order to use the menu to tell the control panel to rescan.

I believe it's now pretty much up and running. I even have the GX app on my phone working and can e.g. restart the system from there (within my own home network, I'll have to configure the router to get the  same functionality from outside).

Many thanks for staying with me here!

Let me know when you ever get to Amsterdam, and I'll buy you a beer (or two :-)