Security Installer Community

Are we doing too much on our services?

Hi fellas.

On a new system we went to we had a customer and not for the first time comment and be rude about how long a service took on a mains wired system we check mains voltages, circuit resistance/voltages,induced A.C, aux voltage, act meter the battery, walk test,SAB and comms if applicable, current unset and in alarm for mains and battery and battery charging voltage off the top of my head we also had to make amendments to the system. My question is because I'm doubting myself now are we doing too much? The year after if the system wasn't monitored we would be more relaxed it seems all customers wants is a in and out job and I've worked for companies where that was the normal procedure the customer in 10 years didn't even have one installation  record or service sheet and was "maintained just the user manual with the zones which wasn't even up to date.

Anyone's thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

38 minutes ago, Dwm90 said:

Hi fellas.

On a new system we went to we had a customer and not for the first time comment and be rude about how long a service took on a mains wired system we check mains voltages, circuit resistance/voltages,induced A.C, aux voltage, act meter the battery, walk test,SAB and comms if applicable, current unset and in alarm for mains and battery and battery charging voltage off the top of my head we also had to make amendments to the system. My question is because I'm doubting myself now are we doing too much? The year after if the system wasn't monitored we would be more relaxed it seems all customers wants is a in and out job and I've worked for companies where that was the normal procedure the customer in 10 years didn't even have one installation  record or service sheet and was "maintained just the user manual with the zones which wasn't even up to date.

Anyone's thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

How long does all this take you and do you charge allot?

Just now, al-yeti said:

How long does all this take you and do you charge allot?

I'd say around a hour on a domestic system depending if there is no nasties hiding in the panel. And we're very competitive.

Just now, norman said:

Any more than 30 minutes on a resi and you should be applying for a blue badge. 

Then what would you suggest we scale it down to nobody seems like they can/won't give me an answer?

I wouldn't do the resistance checks on the cable assuming eol. If DP then its seconds.

Id agree it shouldn't take an hour 30 mins for 8 or so circuits.

Do you do the paperwork check and the walktest on the same walk around or separate walks?

• Upvote 1

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Your checks are commendable but too comprehensive imo, I'd expect those on a monitored takeover.

Discuss the history of any issues, check bells, batteries (Inc current and charge) , induced ac at a push, walk test Inc pa's, cct resistance, brew. 

• Upvote 1

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

10 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

I wouldn't do the resistance checks on the cable assuming eol. If DP then its seconds.

Id agree it shouldn't take an hour 30 mins for 8 or so circuits.

Do you do the paperwork check and the walktest on the same walk around or separate walks?

This is mostly the initial take over and first service I'm referring to and most of the companies round here use dp.  All our new Installs are EOL unless its really low risk sheds etc but our usual way is to speak to customer ask about any problems and look at what paper work they have which is usually a zone list in the user guide and then we proceed to do all the checks on my first post.

16 minutes ago, norman said:

Your checks are commendable but too comprehensive imo, I'd expect those on a monitored takeover.

Discuss the history of any issues, check bells, batteries (Inc current and charge) , induced ac at a push, walk test Inc pa's, cct resistance, 

Thanks Norman. We will scale it back and knock off earlier! 

12 minutes ago, Dwm90 said:

This is mostly the initial take over and first service I'm referring to and most of the companies round here use dp.  All our new Installs are EOL unless its really low risk sheds etc but our usual way is to speak to customer ask about any problems and look at what paper work they have which is usually a zone list in the user guide and then we proceed to do all the checks on my first post.

So its a takeover or a service?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Sorry must not of explained very well. I like to think we do a good job so check thoroughly and the next year as long as there is no faults scale back and we have a record if faults arise.