Security Installer Community

Elmdene bell box wiring help

I have just got a new Modern Security Systems bell box, made by Elmdene, dated 1992, however when power is applied, both sirens will sound very quietly, not at full power t all. Is this a problem with the bell box, or the wiring? I just put 12V into the Hold Off and it started sounding very quietly. Does anyone know if this has SAB/SCB functionality, or is it just SAB? If it is SCB, i know that it is the batteries that are the problem, I just need to change it back to SAB somehow, if this is the case. 

Thanks In Advance :) 

IMG_5860.JPG

IMG_5861.JPG

IMG_5862.JPG

11 minutes ago, norman said:

Could be the batteries dragging it down, but I'd take the engineer link out first and try again.

I tried that, and it made no difference. I'll try removing the batteries and try it again. It's a nice bell box, shame Modern are no longer around. What does the Engineer link do? 

Just now, james.wilson said:

looking the pcb it don't look the best

I know, that was my concern, it may be damaged beyond repair. I'll have a go at removing the batteries and try it again 

If you're just putting power on are you holding the tamper switches down as from memory the things sounded when you put power on till the tamper switches are closed, also watch the big white paddles as they were for anti foam and caused nothing but hassle so slide them off 

Trade Member

10 hours ago, The Arab said:

If you're just putting power on are you holding the tamper switches down as from memory the things sounded when you put power on till the tamper switches are closed, also watch the big white paddles as they were for anti foam and caused nothing but hassle so slide them off 

Well, I am trying to hold them down, but it wont stop, I am n ot really bothered about any of that working, all I want is it to sound at full volume when power is applied

9 hours ago, datadiffusion said:

Rear tamper switch looks goosed to me.

Yeah, they are are... Sadly. Do you think to get the volume of it up, I could use something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LM386-Super-Mini-Amplifier-Board-Module-3V-12V-Kit-Red-Led-Light-Blue-PC-Board/252628203210?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D44779%26meid%3D597b9836e54d40ae8cef13a9609a3762%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D332261893488 I am thinking of it. 

20 hours ago, norman said:

Could be the batteries dragging it down, but I'd take the engineer link out first and try again.

I removed them... no difference :( 

shouldn't a young man like you be drinking cider or sniffing glue in the park ?

its old tat but try-

close the 3 tamper switches - bolt, bottom & back

leave the 2 anti foam switches open

add hold off voltage, with tampers close it should be silent

if so, wire link from rtn to & it should ring ?

Mr? Veritas God

5 hours ago, MrHappy said:

shouldn't a young man like you be drinking cider or sniffing glue in the park ?

its old tat but try-

close the 3 tamper switches - bolt, bottom & back

leave the 2 anti foam switches open

add hold off voltage, with tampers close it should be silent

if so, wire link from rtn to & it should ring ?

Well, I go out with my friends, don't worry... I'm not THAT sad :D I tried all of that, but it didn't really work. Do you have any idea where I could get a Eurobell module? That is my next hope :) 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gabs said:

Well, I go out with my friends, don't worry... I'm not THAT sad :D I tried all of that, but it didn't really work. Do you have any idea where I could get a Eurobell module? That is my next hope :) 

just get a new sab. Your trying to get blackberry 1 working

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Just now, james.wilson said:

just get a new sab. Your trying to get blackberry 1 working

Good idea. Where do I get an SAB, though? Ha, it is the alarm equivalent, very old indeed. First Piezo box? Board says 'ELMDENE 1992'

On 09/07/2017 at 01:09, james.wilson said:

Elmdene make good stuff but why do you want such an old bit of kit?

I collect the older, more rare alarms, and do my best to restore them and make them work again :) 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...