Security Installer Community

Hikvision Password reset... AGAIN!

Hi,

Yet again I have powered up a DVR and the thing is locked out, lost count how many times this has happened!

Is there anyway to factory reset this? or is it the usual email Hikvision to unlock?

Ive tried the online help which seems to work if you have the double click bottom left function on the login screen, mine just has forgot password.

cheers

7 minutes ago, connor2425 said:

Hi,

Yet again I have powered up a DVR and the thing is locked out, lost count how many times this has happened!

Is there anyway to factory reset this? or is it the usual email Hikvision to unlock?

Ive tried the online help which seems to work if you have the double click bottom left function on the login screen, mine just has forgot password.

cheers

You should be fine if you contact hik? I don't get it , this is standard stuff they help you with , or you doing everything via a fith party?

I have been praising hik as a budget option

Aaron asked why I was so sure

On looking the dearer stuff seems good, but the turbo stuff seems shite. SIA has had issues on just over 30% of it.

I'm assuming that's what Aaron meant

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

48 minutes ago, connor2425 said:

I do like Hik, but this will probably be the last. Online the solution seems to be through the SADP software but again I cant enter the code supplied as mine is different.

Is it right there firmware is updated as much as texe

it must be your supplier, i've never had a hik dvr  from dynamic, adi or ezcctv that didn't come inactive ready for a fresh password, but i did have a couple from cctv direct that had clearly been returns, the cameras had even been named till, shop left etc.

if you tftp new firmware on them the password will reset to inactive, just be sure to use the right firmware as it doesn't do any sanity checking that way, it will let you apply a wrong firmare but it wont like it.

Never had this problem, all ours come from dynamic and we have had few hundred of them.

we did have a 32 channel machine die when we upgraded the firmware on the commissioning day.

10 hours ago, james.wilson said:

I have been praising hik as a budget option

Aaron asked why I was so sure

On looking the dearer stuff seems good, but the turbo stuff seems shite. SIA has had issues on just over 30% of it.

It's the company, it would appear that the last thing on there mind is security when you leave back doors in your firmware, time and time again.

All of these security issues could be fixed but seem to insist on small temporary patches to keep costs down.

Product quality is slightly above par with the rest of the tat out there but seen similar failure rates as SIA.

They are like the Windows of the DVR world, obfuscation over security. This is a tasty carrot for someone into cracking this stuff, large attack surface.

10 hours ago, al-yeti said:

Is it right there firmware is updated as much as texe

Unlike Texe it will be less about adding features/fixes and more about forcing a root and password reset

The password was with the supplier! They first said they couldn't help me then came back with try this password and it worked! 

I reminded them that they may want to pass on this password in the future when selling these units! Mind boggles