Security Installer Community

Giving quotations to customers

Quotation price format  

21 members have voted

1. 1. When sending your quotation / proposal how do you show prices?

• Total cost for install
    • Itemised prices including labour
    • Itemised parts & labour seperate

41 minutes ago, firemonkey said:

Problem with being asked for a breakdown, is either the customer will supply their own equipment (Typical response, I can get it cheaper off eBay.... or use it for a sparky to quote against.

Hence why if your a bunch of house bashers sell protected goods from trade auppliers, like I see some selling rebadged hik , they can't compare prices then , but I like Pete's advice 

Often get asked "if I get equipment how much is the labour " I just say no sorry I only supply my own equipment

I never used to install equipment supplied by others, it provides all sorts of warranty issues.

We once had a large video entry system to install, the whole building project went over budget and the customer was looking to make savings. The customer asked us for a discount but we were unable to assist. So the customer then asked the electrical contractor if they could supply the kit, we did not want to fall out with the contractor so we agreed, and still made as much on the install as we would have if we supplied the kit. The job was installed with no problems we were quite impressed with the kit supplied by the customer, but within a few weeks tenants started moving in and the kit started to go wrong, each time we went back we charged for the privilege, we removed the failing part and give it to the customer to return under warranty, and then we would return when the customer got the replacement and charge again. Since then I have looked at the supply of customers equipment very differently, the customer takes charge of the warranty and takes the risk when things go wrong then I am quite happy for them to supply the kit. Mind you after telling any customer that asks the above they rarely want to supply the kit.

I have had on occasion customers wanting to supply their own batteries. I always make sure that they are aware we only buy branded batteries and that we do have a high turnover of batteries, therefore they never reach their shelf life. Batteries are available much cheaper on auction sites ect, however, these are often close to shelf life or unbranded poor quality, we would be happy to provide batteries supplied by themselves, but we will not warranty the batteries, should the battery fail before the next maintenance is due we will charge them to return and replace it. Most let us use our own batteries, two customers have used their own and had to call us us to replace batteries before service was due, one was a couple of weeks after their service, suffice to say we replaced all the batteries on both occasions.

• Upvote 2

On 2017-6-7 at 5:28 AM, ElecTech said:

Cost consultants ask for breakdowns regularly. Most tender prices are broken down from the start anyway but yeah if the end user is asking I'd say there fishing to suss you out.

When they try to suss you out remind them your not being paid to be a labourer , after that they give to there electrician lol

Thanks for replies everyone.  Very interesting.  From browsing the forum I'm coming to realise I'm very soft with my customers!  

Got caught out a few times when they have supplied equipment and I end up making less on a job.

So if you don't do a breakdown, how much information goes on the spec sheet? Make and models or just PIR etc?  I like to give brands and say its the best equipment to help win jobs, on the other hand it allows them to source elsewhere.

1 hour ago, installer_dale said:

Thanks for replies everyone.  Very interesting.  From browsing the forum I'm coming to realise I'm very soft with my customers!  

Got caught out a few times when they have supplied equipment and I end up making less on a job.

So if you don't do a breakdown, how much information goes on the spec sheet? Make and models or just PIR etc?  I like to give brands and say its the best equipment to help win jobs, on the other hand it allows them to source elsewhere.

You house bashing mostly?

3 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

You house bashing mostly?

Not a spark. Primarily residential a few commercial. Hoping to get SSAIB next year so I'm trying to concentrate on paperwork a lot more to get ready, whilst still finding the time to do the actual work!

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I generally give a fully fitted price if direct to the client with a fb link to page also demo the app with various resolutions on my home system, won quite a few 4k/8mp systems that way, with a brief info on kit. Some like a bit more detail some are just like yeah when can you install.