Security Installer Community

BT VP1000 Query

Hi, hoping someone can help.

I have an original BT VP1000 Home Monitor unit which I understand is a re-badged Visonic PowerMax. 

I recently (March 2017) added a new wireless keypad (MCM-140) which has been working perfectly - however on a couple of occasions the main unit has reported a fault that it is unable to communicate with the keypad and then sends out alerts. I am able to clear the alert from the main unit by arming/dis-arming the alarm from the MCM-140 and all is well for a while. 

I'm guessing that the main unit and keypad communicate with each other at a set time-frequency (for checking purposes) and for some reason this is being interrupted. Does anybody have experience with this type of set-up? Could it be as simple as a new battery is required?

Many thanks in advance.

Jonathan

Yes, this kit is 1-way on the RF side; though I seem to recall it being billed as '2 way' possibly due to the fact that fobs and keypads were??

When was the alarm last serviced and all batteries changed? Although that wouldn't include the recent keypad I guess.

Just to be clear, you are certain that the fault as it appears on the screen refers with the remote keypad, and not an error with the on-board one?

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Batteries for wireless I would expect to last the year in most situations.

If the thing has been sitting on a shelf for a while and you used the batteries that came with it maybe swap them.

It could be mounted on the edge of it's range or there is something in the middle blocking or causing interference.

Try resiting it closer to the main panel to see if that resolves the issue in this case.

Wow!  Many thanks to you all for your quick responses - answers below:

1. Alarm never serviced, other than battery replacements by myself.
  2. Yes, error definitely seems to be with remote keypad as the base unit mentions it directly.
  3. Distance from keypad to box is approx 10 feet. The box is in a wooden draw in the front room and the keypad is in the adjacent porch (with a wall in between).

I suspect battery is old, so unless you advise otherwise (based on my responses above), I'll try a battery change.

Thanks again,

Jonathan