Security Installer Community

Career change to security systems engineer

Nero

1 minute ago, goncall said:

Nero,I'd stick with sky you won't make 40-50k in this game some do but as many say the industry is on its way down not up

How come? How can the industry be on the way down? Surely there's always gonna be a need for security systems? More so today than ever in the world we live in..

4 minutes ago, goncall said:

Nero,I'd stick with sky

I'd assume basic employed directly with sky would be comparable to an alarm co. ?

I'd assume OTE would be daylight hrs on a weekend ?

I'd also assume most SKY work is easier than security ?

Mr? Veritas God

4 minutes ago, Nero said:

How come? How can the industry be on the way down? Surely there's always gonna be a need for security systems? More so today than ever in the world we live in..

More people want sky than an alarm,more people will pay 100 a month for sky and moan at 100 a year for an alarm etc etc

• Upvote 3

There's no future working for sky. No one will have a dish in ten years or even a set top box. We'll all have an app in our smart TVs. Sky Q is being launched without a dish next year. Need I say anymore.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Amps said:

We've just lost an engineer to a Sky who is following the 40k carrot. No idea how many hours it takes to hit 40k though.

I've earnt 45k the last few years. 15k of that on overtime which has now grounded to a halt. And that's having 1 day off a fortnight. Like I've said, there's no future there. Sky engineers will not exist in 10 years.

2 minutes ago, Nero said:

There's no future working for sky. No one will have a dish in ten years or even a set top box. We'll all have an app in our smart TVs. Sky Q is being launched without a dish next year. Need I say anymore.

Have a look at smart metering installations ,got them installed a few month ago by eon and those lads seem happy,job and knock decent money the two that came were ex bg  one gas one electrical but they said they do train people up 

The industry is changing, but I would say its actually going in a direction that it once was. Years ago it used to be only the bigger houses with plenty of contents worth stealing, soon followed by smaller and smaller properties. Now many of the smaller domestics are diying or using one of those app systems that dont really work(Sooner or later though someone will invent a reliable one that will work). I do not see this as a problem we dont get many small domestics anyway, we prefer the bigger jobs that are reliant on an approved security system for insurance purposes.  

6 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

The industry is changing, but I would say its actually going in a direction that it once was. Years ago it used to be only the bigger houses with plenty of contents worth stealing, soon followed by smaller and smaller properties. Now many of the smaller domestics are diying or using one of those app systems that dont really work(Sooner or later though someone will invent a reliable one that will work). I do not see this as a problem we dont get many small domestics anyway, we prefer the bigger jobs that are reliant on an approved security system for insurance purposes.  

That's what I was hoping to get into really. More the commercial side of things than residential properties. I live on the border of London, there must be stacks of commercial work in the city. 

6 minutes ago, Amps said:

I disagree.

Pyronix Euro 46 App panel works very well.

I wasnt refering to industry ones I meant apps like Homey Nest and Ring all now selling security cameras and wifi door contacts ect 

1 hour ago, Nero said:

Lol

1 hour ago, goncall said:

Have a look at smart metering installations ,got them installed a few month ago by eon and those lads seem happy,job and knock decent money the two that came were ex bg  one gas one electrical but they said they do train people up 

Smart meters good money, seeing as they incompatible with each others systems lol 

42 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

I wasnt refering to industry ones I meant apps like Homey Nest and Ring all now selling security cameras and wifi door contacts ect 

Expensive though

Indeed, this generation of satellites will almost certainly be the last, for UK TV at least. Broadband as delivery is the only sensible future.

The Openreach shakeup can only accelerate 'dry' DSL (without an associated POTs line and all that entails). Its already available in trial areas and will only become more common.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

8 minutes ago, datadiffusion said:

Indeed, this generation of satellites will almost certainly be the last, for UK TV at least. Broadband as delivery is the only sensible future.

The Openreach shakeup can only accelerate 'dry' DSL (without an associated POTs line and all that entails). Its already available in trial areas and will only become more common.

Yep. Hence why I started this thread. I was under the assumption the SSI had a sustainable future. Average earnings doesn't concern me so much. I know there's enough there for the right people, as with every game. Just want a career in an evolving industry with opportunities and avenues to explore. Am I barking up the wrong tree?!

1 hour ago, datadiffusion said:

Don't be surprised if another type comes out , even if it's of a local network and people using WiFi type dishes etc instead of sky dish 

Problem is technology now has come to a standstill , nothing has really changed no real advancement, old tech being used again and again , new inventions all on existing tech , new equipment no advancement either all on same platforms 

Must be some hidden military tech that will be released at some point 

21 hours ago, al-yeti said:

Don't be surprised if another type comes out , even if it's of a local network and people using WiFi type dishes etc instead of sky dish 

Problem is technology now has come to a standstill , nothing has really changed no real advancement, old tech being used again and again , new inventions all on existing tech , new equipment no advancement either all on same platforms 

Must be some hidden military tech that will be released at some point 

Ha! We had a wifi network in Portishead. Modified Alcatel kit with an external antenna. It went bust 15+ years ago when 500mps ADSL was finally rolled out.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands