Security Installer Community

Galaxy GX App any good?

Richie09

Hi all,

I'm looking to have an alarm fitted in my 4 bed house and doing some research prior to getting some more quotes in.  Smartphone connectivity with a good app/push notifications is high on my priority list.

The first quotation I have is for a Pyronix - mix of hard wired and wireless detectors. I like the company but I don't like the aesthetics of the panel/keypad configuration offered.

I do really like the look of the Galaxy with Mk 8 keypad, but I can't find any detailed reviews on google about the GX app.  Also it looks like there are other third party apps for the Galaxy.  Am I correct in thinking a Galaxy system will probably in the same ballpark as a HKC which is also high on my list, price wise?

Can anyone share their opinions?

Many thanks,

Richard

2 hours ago, al-yeti said:

Galaxy push notifications?

There are a few reviews on ITunes asking when this feature will arrive, so suspect it might not be currently in place.  I would probably rule the system out based on this.  It would be good to know for definite and also if it is in the pipeline.

Cheers,

Richard

The latest GX Android app seems to have push capability in the latest release. Not sure how good the service will be, but there's always Selfmon for those who aren't happy with it, or want more than push notifications.

Thanks for the info GalaxyGuy.

So to clarify service with Selfmon - I could get a Galaxy Flex panel installed with manufacturer IP module.  Open an account with Selfmon for minimum of £1 per month, the I'd get a fairly immediate SMS + email notification when my alarm activates.  Plus monitoring of the connection between my panel and Selfmon, with SMS and email if connection fails?

Assuming everything is okay my end, what is the reliability of the Selfmon service please?

Cheers,

Richard

Edited by Richie09

The selfmon platform has been running since 2011. Uptime has been better than 99.999%, with a couple of minor short outages caused by Amazon who host the servers.

The future plan is to enable a push notification message queue with the selfmon keypad apps and this will allow customers to direct all lower priority events to the push queue, while directing actionable events to all message queues.

8 hours ago, GalaxyGuy said:

The latest GX Android app seems to have push capability in the latest release. Not sure how good the service will be, but there's always Selfmon for those who aren't happy with it, or want more than push notifications.

cheers mate, sounds like cracking value for money, I'll try this if I go down the Galaxy route.

9 hours ago, norman said:

What happens to it if you die?

There's another developer involved who would provide continuation.

We're working to package the whole platform up for companies who want to buy it to provide the service themselves, but it does require technical knowledge of Linux, database internals and aws, so not many alarm companies would cope with running the platform themselves.

26 minutes ago, GalaxyGuy said:

There's another developer involved who would provide continuation.

We're working to package the whole platform up for companies who want to buy it to provide the service themselves, but it does require technical knowledge of Linux, database internals and aws, so not many alarm companies would cope with running the platform themselves.

Yes at £1 a month it's not exactly a problem lol , 

companies go bust overnight , i wonder what the customers do , probably forget to cancel there £25p/m

51 minutes ago, GalaxyGuy said:

Sound like they'd need an IT guy, cira 5p a a message & min charge of £1 a month = lots & lots of connections to make it pay ?

Mr? Veritas God

3 hours ago, MrHappy said:

Sound like they'd need an IT guy, cira 5p a a message & min charge of £1 a month = lots & lots of connections to make it pay ?

Yes, the monthly server costs alone are in the hundreds, so would be too much of an overhead for a small company with an estate of only a few hundred sites.

The main SelfMon platform has processed over 30M events so far and has very little overhead apart from the points where Amazon force database or EC2 service updates. The forced updates require intervention to re-build the platform on new instance versions to allow seamless transition. Ie. the servers need to keep receiving, or the panels complain of ARC failure.

• 9 months later...

Needs to be multi-site. So at least two separate systems in different buildings - preferably different areas with different power/network infrastructure. The systems also need maintenance to ensure they are patched and have no issues.