Security Installer Community

Scantronic / Old System

22 hours ago, james.wilson said:

you know the answer h, spent on a new iPhone. will keep the 18yr old alarm running then complain its ***** when it finally curls it toes

You telling me you don't keep old systems than this one on the books?

Amazes me that some on here do, but then like most companies why put new controls in if nothing in it, but then even with on going contracts no new controls lol 

9 hours ago, Spherehopper said:

What would you suggest? I don't see any problem using decent electronics that are working fine. A new battery, all tests fine, it's probably half way through it's life. The Scantronic box seems perfectly adequate. Why blow £150 for no reason?

You was moaning your scantronic didn't silence & reset off the r/r input on the stu footprint ?

Its old tat, if you wish to diy support it then its your choice,

Your GSM things looks look "chinky ebay special", this one they claim is "grade 2" 

https://www.controlfreqgsm.com/collections/2g-and-3g-gsm-alarm-auto-diallers/products/gsm-alarm-auto-dialler-compatible-with-all-alarm-systems-and-sensors#.WOihC7g6BrM

I'd suspect its not

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

Thanks for your continued help Mr H. I'm not bothered about it being graded since all I need it to do is SMS a handful of people to notify them of an alarm which is all monitoring would do. I don't have much confidence in my local police responding to a call for a second activation notified by the ARC so I'd rather take the risk myself rather than spend £500 a year. I strongly believe that 99% of the alarm is a deterrent in any case.

The module could well be made in China but it has the support of a pucka UK company and has not caused any issues.

The rr issue was not a fault but me verbalising a difference between Texecom and Scantronic products. All sorted now using "method b". As for spending £150, I still don't see why since the new equivalent of this panel costs £60 and I'm sure it's still the bread and butter of all the major and national firms for the average domestic install.

I'm grateful that the pros are willing to give advice on here as it's always good to see things from another perspective rather than simply a collection of detectors, panel and keypad.

Edited by Spherehopper

1 hour ago, MrHappy said:

You was moaning your scantronic didn't silence & reset off the r/r input on the stu footprint ?

Its old tat, if you wish to diy support it then its your choice,

Your GSM things looks look "chinky ebay special", this one they claim is "grade 2" 

https://www.controlfreqgsm.com/collections/2g-and-3g-gsm-alarm-auto-diallers/products/gsm-alarm-auto-dialler-compatible-with-all-alarm-systems-and-sensors#.WOihC7g6BrM

I'd suspect its not

Not many will spend that much

39 minutes ago, Spherehopper said:

Thanks for your continued help Mr H. I'm not bothered about it being graded since all I need it to do is SMS a handful of people to notify them of an alarm which is all monitoring would do. I don't have much confidence in my local police responding to a call for a second activation notified by the ARC so I'd rather take the risk myself rather than spend £500 a year. I strongly believe that 99% of the alarm is a deterrent in any case.

The module could well be made in China but it has the support of a pucka UK company and has not caused any issues.

The rr issue was not a fault but me verbalising a difference between Texecom and Scantronic products. All sorted now using "method b". As for spending £150, I still don't see why since the new equivalent of this panel costs £60 and I'm sure it's still the bread and butter of all the major and national firms for the average domestic install.

I'm grateful that the pros are willing to give advice on here as it's always good to see things from another perspective rather than simply a collection of detectors, panel and keypad.

So what dialler you got 

40 minutes ago, Spherehopper said:

Thanks for your continued help Mr H. I'm not bothered about it being graded since all I need it to do is SMS a handful of people to notify them of an alarm which is all monitoring would do. I don't have much confidence in my local police responding to a call for a second activation notified by the ARC so I'd rather take the risk myself rather than spend £500 a year.

The risk of SMS signalling is the messages being being delayed or lost, After head aches with subscribers failing to manage sims / credit, network outage, claims of not signalling... it does'nt have a proper a audit trail it so it not really suitable for a security system

With a URN the police attend on a confirmed intruder, however the keyholders are also meant to attend & not solely rely on a police attendance as its prioritised on their work load.

Last month-

1 genuine break in burglars in a factory, they left with £60 of pretty cash before keyholder & police attended

1 rat chewing a cable to produce an alarm & then a tamper within a confirmation window

Both attended by the police.

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

I've got their basic dialler. I paid around £100 inc VAT for them originally but they seem to have recently hiked their prices.

https://www.controlfreqgsm.com/collections/2g-and-3g-gsm-alarm-auto-diallers/products/gsm-dialler-with-customisable-sms-text-alerts-for-up-to-5-users-2g-and-3g#.WOjJueQ2w2w]

No problems with sim management as it's got an autodial/keep live function on it and auto top up on the account so it doesn't expire (oldest one been running for 4 years no issues).

I view my system as bells only with the added benefit of an SMS alarm. I've not experienced any outage or occasions where no text was received within a second or two of trigger under test. I also have a CCTV system, so in the event of an alarm, I look at the premises and can see what's going on. At my previous house, it was a labourer who had keys that caused all the false alarms as he kept forgetting the code I gave him (despite it being his birth date). A prox tag sorted that.

My neighbours are excellent and often around when I'm not and are happy to peer over the fence if they hear the alarm (or so they say). In a built up suburban area, neighbourhood "watch" is excellent but in remote areas, the potential police response time slow. I've lived in both. This is how I justify not spending £500 on a monitored contract system.

Not a patch on a NACOSS installed landline ARC system but then I don't need that facility. I want a bells only deterrent that is not prone to false alarms and gives me a nudge if it goes off.

1 hour ago, al-yeti said:

Single input? 

Yes, and a separate spdt relay output when you dial back into the number. Alarm trigger sends text as GSM box hanging on OP3 programmed as bell, return call resets the alarm. Second call arms it again. No feedback to phone on alarm status from this cheap model though.

GSM module programmed to only accept calls from administrators to prevent random incomers setting/unsetting the alarm.

Edited by Spherehopper