Security Installer Community

Premier Elite Software Upgrade

virdi

Hi all,

I'm gonna attempt my first DIY install of Texecom Premier Elite 12-W Panel.

What I'd like to know is ...Can I upgrade the firmware via a COM IP module? or do I have to use the Flasher Module?

Thanks

Edited by virdi

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/02/2017 at 1:37 PM, virdi said:

Hi all,

I'm gonna attempt my first DIY install of Texecom Premier Elite 12-W Panel.

What I'd like to know is ...Can I upgrade the firmware via a COM IP module? or do I have to use the Flasher Module?

Thanks

You do need the flasher module, but there are cheaper ways of doing this if you are confident with electronics.

I've been investigating this for a while and there's some information on my blog about it:

http://gw0udm.wordpress.com

We have worked out the circuit for the flasher module and if you have the USB cable you can do the programming with just a switch and a few resistors.

James

This is sold significantly cheaper than the ComIP for some reason (about £50) even though it looks rather more complicated.

I assume because the ComIP is made in UK, designed for commercial use, uses top quality components, ComWifi made in China, assume targeted at domestic use, not so mission critical, uses a commodity wifi module etc...

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

11 hours ago, datadiffusion said:

I assume because the ComIP is made in UK, designed for commercial use, uses top quality components, ComWifi made in China, assume targeted at domestic use, not so mission critical, uses a commodity wifi module etc...

Nah, 95% of the COM-IP is the Lantronix module (Serial to Ethernet) - made in... China.  Might get a bit of additional testing performed in the UK, but most outsourcing strategies placed exactly the same test suites in China that were in place in the originating countries.

From my previous experience in a mass manufacturing environment (much bigger volumes than alarm panel assy's); Boards assembled in China were just as good, if not better than in the UK.  One of the main things that has increased DOA and reduced long term reliability has been the introduction of RoHS - making solder joints more brittle and prone to fracture in transit or over time with thermal cycling.

20 hours ago, datadiffusion said:

Still, there is obviously a reason why the ComWifi seems a bit naff and doesn't appear to be quite as robust as the lan version.

There's a lot more going on in the WiFi modules to gain and keep a connection going 24x7.  So, the  issues are likely a combination of WiFi signal issues, customer configuration issues, ISP connection issues and immature firmware. 

I must admit this confounds me.

If I can recognise that a wifi (or homeplug) item has lost connection - and yet a reboot gets it back straight away -  why oh why oh why (dear BBC....)

can't the item itself simply do that!?

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands