Security Installer Community

Fix/Replace Scantronic 9800?

Kingsley

Hey

We have, what I believe to be, a scantronic 9800.

It hasn't worked for a number of years, so a few months ago I got an engineer out to fix. It had bf, tr and rr errors on it.

i thought it would just need a new battery, but the engineer came out and said the board was dead and would need replacing...and charged £150 for the privilege, along with a quote of £400 to install a new board, battery keypad and siren.

ive not looked into it further since, but thought I'd have a play around. I opened up with control box and the fuse had been removed, and there is no battery inside, so I assume to engineer must have taken it with him! With the fuse in and no battery, the keypad doesn't display anything, but it will beep when buttons are pressed. 2 yellow lights come on at the top of the keypad. 

Anyway, I'm not sure what to do now. I could buy a new battery, put that in and see what happens, however I suppose I should trust the engineer and believe that the board is dead.

looking online, you can buy a 9800 for £35 or so, but as it's so old that's probably not worthwhile, plus it would need re wiring and re programmming.

So, if I replace it..is there a wired model that could be done DIY? I don't think it's an extensive system, 4 PIRs, 2 smoke detectors a siren and an internal sounder. 

If not DIY, what alarm system is recommended? I'd quite like one with smart functionalities if such exist, such as arming from smartphones etc. 

Sorry for for the long post!

It more than likely needs a new EEPROM chip, that is probably the only thing wrong with the board. Its the only chip in a socket on the PCB.

However... Personally I would upgrade panel and keypad to something like a Scantronic 9651 and get all the benefits of fob operation and an Lcd keypad.

However 2... If your existing system is a 9800, the rest of the system probably needs updating too, especially if there have been any changes to the construction and use of the property since installation. 

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Would suggest you get a few quotes to upgrade your system, listen what they have to say go for the company you feel comfortable with not necessarily the cheapest.

It's likely the existing cable could be used keeping costs down and mess to a minimum.

Feel free to have a read of the posts in the DIY section, it's recommended if you want to see if your up to the task.

That sort of price is about right dependant on kit and area etc.

3 minutes ago, Kingsley said:

Thanks for the advice!

are there any good wired alarms with smart functionality? I've had a google but cant seem to find any decent looking brands that do it!!

For diy pyronix enforcer, scrap the 9800

The other wired versions you will end up calling an engineer in anyway 

Edited by al-yeti

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, Vulcan27 said:

Thanks for the replies. I have found some 9600 keypads, much cheaper than 9800, and they look the same! Are you positive that they are not compatible?

Sorry to bring this up again, just trying to save some money...

So your going to put in an even older keypad if it was at possible lol