Security Installer Community

gsm dialer recommendations

paul44

admittedly i dont install / maintain that many compared to some of you, but of all those i have installed ive never had any problems or been called back to any faults with them. maybe im just lucky, which is rare for me. as much as id rather install a monitored alarm for someone, not everyone wants one and sometimes its a basic dialler that gets fitted. or bells only

customers may not always have an idea what they want but id rather give them choices rather than telling what they are having

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

57 minutes ago, norman said:

You'd be better installing something that's not tat or likely to cause you revisits and generates recurring revenue. 

Customers have no idea what they want. 

Exactly Norman, hence why I am asking the question on a professional security forum. Haven't  fitted many myself but thought I would seek advice.

Nothing worse than fitting ***** that you keep getting called back for.

• Upvote 4

which is why i recommend monitored and explain the differences between the various options to the customer and let them make a decision on what they want fitted (after all, its their property). all the extras are nice to have but cost more which is sometimes above what the customer is willing to spend

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ha ha agreed,

i was quoting a large large barn conversion in the middle of the Lancashire countryside last week. I was explaining that grade 4 signalling was required when the guy measuring up for a new kitchen pipes up.

"I would get one of those things that phones you mobile if the alarm goes off, that's what we have on our workshop. These monitored alarms are just a rip off"

feckin pr!ck

10 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Why is everyone scared to fit quality and charge for it.

You say overpriced, I say a quality product that does it's job well and had no issues.

Compare that against hassle you will get from the cheaper end of the market and it makes sense.

It is a decent unit, but it is overpriced compared to some which offer exactly the same features, like the TELL. The TELL units are not Chinese tat, they are very well made, but about half the price. I'm certainly not scared to fit decent kit but paying double only means you probably have less margin if you want to actually get the sale.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

37 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

no polling or path integrity checking, no audit trail leaving installer open to failure to perform claims on insurance etc etc

I'd say that would be easily sorted with a half decent T+Cs clause re. 'self monitored' systems, customer is in charge of phone numbers etc... I've only ever fitted 3 of the TELL units but made it really clear the ball was in the customers court, recommended test messages to be turned on, got them to sign for it etc...

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Around here 860k for 5 ded detached town house is alot of money,

She'd wanted some new sockets in the kitchen & the electrics have been condemned, 2 core in conduit under the kitchen floor nothing earthed,

Told its 200k project of tarting the place up, plaster chopped off down stairs floors being replace up stairs,

not sure whether she want the cctv (project manager has instructed me to wire regardless) alarm is part rewired, galaxy 16 is likely to be replaced if she wants a RKP with a fancy finsh...

ceiling mounted access points, a few speakers & some cables have appeared... told 10k charged for the work (3 days labour)

Mr? Veritas God

**** me.... it s a old dear with bugger all cash, who just wants something to call someone if the alarm goes off. Maybe it would make great business sense to scare the **** out of her and sign her and get her to sign up to a   grade 4 monitored dual path system with monitored cctv ?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, paul44 said:

**** me.... it s a old dear with bugger all cash, who just wants something to call someone if the alarm goes off. Maybe it would make great business sense to scare the **** out of her and sign her and get her to sign up to a   grade 4 monitored dual path system with monitored cctv ?

Just make sure you tie her into a 3 year contract.

9 minutes ago, whistle said:

Just make sure you tie her into a 3 year contract.

lol I probably could..... I'm just not a heartless c***

Edited by datadiffusion
Please don't try and trick the BWF, stars are fine :)