Security Installer Community

programming S.O.S Honeywell Optima / SL Compact

I have a Honeywell Optima alarm panel, with seperate Led Keypad.

One morning in the early hours my son (half asleep) mistakenly identified the kitchen clock radio blaring as an alarm activation. During his attempt to shut down the alarm (which was not even sounding - actually the kitchen radio was sounding) he entered programming mode and has inadvertently affected the alarm settings.

Now PIR no3 is permanently on alert.

This PIR is located on upstairs landing.

Whenever anyone passes in front of this PIR the alarm immediately activates.

Even if the system is in Day mode it activates an alarm.

When the system is part set during the day to outbuildings, this PIR activates the alarm.

When the system is part set at night, this PIR activates the alarm.

and so on.......

Currently when selecting a part set I have to omit zone 3. 

Also I cannot leave it in Day mode, I have to select a part set and then omit all zones. Very frustrating.

I contacted Honeywell for telephone support, in the past they have assisted me in resolving a different issue & testing the system.

However now they inform me they no longer provide telephone support for this. Apparently they only support thermostat systems ?

So I'm here again, hat in hand lol

Would greatly appreciate any advice or assistance you guys can provide.

P.S I have the manual downloaded already, but I struggle to follow it. I am good with instructions normally - but these manuals seem to speak a different language altogether...

Dan.

IMG_2409.JPG

IMG_2410.JPG

I would say you have entered the engineer code and changed the zone attribute to 24hr or PA or something , link it out in the pir until either you learn to programme it or get an engineer to put it right 

Although some one could probably tell you to do it here , or just put a link across the pir alarm terminals as you can't use the system anyway

The gsm  unit below should not need to be messed with 

PS I hate that manual to lol 

Edited by al-yeti

when you say ' the alarm immediately activates' do you mean actually sounds as in bellbox blaring and code needing entered, or most likely, as james said, a small noise which is the chime which just needs turned off... common issue, been called to that many times.... iirc, on that panel you press chime, press the number light thats lit to take it off then press either reset or chime again (cant remember which)

Al-yeti I'm hoping someone here will be able to instruct me... lets see 

in the mean time I will continue to omit that zone in all instances.

andy - now you ask I will need to walk test  it to remind myself exactly what it does. Had so much noise from the thing the last few weeks I'm not entirely sure anymore.

i think from memory, wether the system is FULL SET, PART SET or in DAY mode, if you approach this particular PIR the panel begins to beep asking for the code (similar to when setting the alarm on exit or entry) however no one is ready to react at the panel so we almost always end up with sirens blaring a few moments later. So its basically acting as a SET BUTTON (make sense?) 

i will run a walk test to confirm all of the above and re-post though...

also I will look into the chime suggestion from James & yourself.

Edited by DanTheManUK

Try this,  You will need your engineer code

PROG. (Eng Code) 5 3 

Look at the led that's lit up

These are your zone 3 Attribute options

1 - Security

2 - Fire

3 - 24 Hour Fire

4 - Push to Set

5 - Keyswitch

Check what yours is, maybe set to 3 or 4 by accident, hence always activating.

Change the option as above, hear a beep as confirmation and reset all way back out.

To confirm the above, I've PART SET the system. Approached PIR 3 (should not be active in the part set) and the speaker started to chirp, as if entry activated. I switched off at panel.

Also in DAY MODE this PIR behaves in exact same fashion.

PSE - I've followed your instruction to identify attribute for Zone 3.

Led 1. was illuminated.

According to your key, this is security ?

I think I need an engineer familiar and knowledgable with this panel to reprogram my system.

Unless I can get Honeywell to provide telephone support and talk me through the re-programming. I did call them a couple weeks ago, at this time they advised me they no longer provide telephone support for these systems (which I find disappointing)

Any further suggestions / views welcome.

odd... if its unset then it shouldnt activate entry timer at all. if it was a 24 hour fire zone then you wouldnt get an entry timer either, it would go straight to alarm

you could try changing the setting in 5 3 to 0 (disabled) and see what happens

UPDATE

I finally managed to get Honeywell Tech support to speak with me. We went through some investigations in prog mode.

Discovered the problematic zone was programmed as 'Key Switch'

now its disabled from this function it is behaving normally again. (( I don't know what the function of 'Key Switch' is normally - can anyone tell me? ))

During diagnostics I also discovered 2 further zone programming errors, Zones 2&3 were Entry (should be alarm) and Zones 5&6 were inhibit (should be alarm).

All reprogrammed correctly now.

Thank you to forum members again for your input & suggestions.

P.S you should know, despite not being in the industry I find the topics you cover & discuss very interesting, great approach by your members. Makes good reading..

On 18/01/2017 at 6:38 PM, DanTheManUK said:

PSE - I've followed your instruction to identify attribute for Zone 3.

Led 1. was illuminated.

According to your key, this is security 

2 hours ago, DanTheManUK said:

Discovered the problematic zone was programmed as 'Key Switch'

now its disabled from this function it is behaving normally again.

Im assuming you didn't check this then ?

PSE - actually i did follow your suggestions, but on walk test I discovered the problematic zone was actually Zone 4. I had been troubleshooting Zone 3 originally - it transpires my engineer had written it up wrong on the panel... Oops....

• 4 years later...
3 hours ago, Ben3333 said:

Hi everyone,

I'm in urgent need of a user's manual for the alarm pictured (SL Compact) in the above conversation. Can anyone help me find a copy please. Really appreciate. Thanks 

https://www.thesecurityinstaller.co.uk/community/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=1741