Security Installer Community

security testing

hi don't know if this is the right place but my question is

like pen testers testing computer security remotely, are there jobs that test physical security as my uncle was a locksmith and safe cracker legally and he taught me both i started when i was 8 im 16 now and i have a friend that has skills with alarms(he disabled his own house with ease) we were thinking is there a job that pays teams(physical version of red teams) to plan and physically break into a building and steal a prearranged item find holes in security so we can fix them before people with bad intentions break in and if no such companies exists anyone know if thats even a legal business idea

any advice welcome

thanks

Security systems wont stop people breaking in to steal stuff they will just detect them once they are in, and a professionally installed system is unlikely to be easily compromised.

Ultimately it is down to risk, the type of burglar you are likely to get depends very much on the theft attractiveness of the stock or property. Why would an intelligent person risk getting caught for little reward, therefore in most cases your average house is unlikely to be targeted by anything other than opportunists and small time thief's.  When it comes to high risk properties you will find stuff like smoke cloak, and anti mask detection, this makes it tricky for even the bloke who installed it to get around.  

Its not quite the same as it is on the telly 

thanks for the input this thought exercise came about because me and my friend were walking down the high street and theres a jeweler and my friend noticed the alarm panel and said its terrible and easy to disable and i checked the back door lock is equally terrible and ease to open. the safe has a an old three wheel pack that i have experience with all we would need is someone that can disable the wifi cctv cameras i want to tell the owner but would we get in trouble. i see businesses with terrible door locks i also see people still running there security on windows xp

thanks again for the reply

just had a idea if the above is not possible how does one get to work for safe manufactures i assume they pay crackers to test there new packs same as i assume lock manufactures do maybe thats a root to take instead as being the person that helps people who locked there keys in the house i have the skills why not get payed for it

Locks are mostly made in China and designed within the EU but outside of the UK - Abloy control a lot of the EU market from what I can see through carious DIY and professional brands.

Safes appear to be an incredibly niche business now (again from my perception) as cash for many goods is on the wain and you are now more likely to find a bigger cash safe in a branch of Starbucks than a Currys.

On another, non security forum I'm on there is a member that claims to make his living as a legitimate safe opener, AFAIK he works far and wide and covers an increasingly growing area to make it work.

If indeed the safe companies even do employ anyone to test their items, it would more than likely be a very occasional role, not even necessarily within the UK, and would be someone that is already very

well known to them; they would be using someone that has been in the business for years and years and not some random person off the street, I'd imagine.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

"security consultant" sometimes employed by big firms or insurance co's they wonder around with a clip board,

xyz alarm with xyz signaling method (tick)

xyz safe with xyz cash rating (tick)

I doubt there's much demand for a "mission impossible" mock raid on the high street jewellers ?

Assuming you got the jeweller & its security suppliers to allow you to be dangled on the 30ft wire from the hole in the roof,  hack the security cameras & open the vault.....  someone will remember that the Sheffield branch or whatever got turned over by a driving teleporter though the shop front which set all the alarms off but did not stop 200k of Rolex's vanishing into the night with the only lead being CCTV showing 3 hooded men leaving in a stolen audi

If you feel there's a market for "pen tester" as you describer set  yourself up as one,

Edited by MrHappy

Mr? Veritas God

thank you for advice i think it was a mixture of the skill top open locks and safes mixed with the **** job market, plus the 16 year old that kind of wanted to say be job was contract thief, ill stick to doing it for fun and not a job. it was just a random idea if you have skills and the passion for something why not try to make it a career

thanks again for the help and advice

12 hours ago, MrHappy said:

"security consultant" sometimes employed by big firms or insurance co's they wonder around with a clip board,

xyz alarm with xyz signaling method (tick)

xyz safe with xyz cash rating (tick)

I doubt there's much demand for a "mission impossible" mock raid on the high street jewellers ?

Assuming you got the jeweller & its security suppliers to allow you to be dangled on the 30ft wire from the hole in the roof,  hack the security cameras & open the vault.....  someone will remember that the Sheffield branch or whatever got turned over by a driving teleporter though the shop front which set all the alarms off but did not stop 200k of Rolex's vanishing into the night with the only lead being CCTV showing 3 hooded men leaving in a stolen audi

If you feel there's a market for "pen tester" as you describer set  yourself up as one,

I dunno might be on to something , as a hobby, small fee, residential intruder test, see if  there security fails etc 

2 hours ago, aldisjohnson1 said:

thank you for advice i think it was a mixture of the skill top open locks and safes mixed with the **** job market, plus the 16 year old that kind of wanted to say be job was contract thief, ill stick to doing it for fun and not a job. it was just a random idea if you have skills and the passion for something why not try to make it a career

thanks again for the help and advice

We used to have a lad here that was awesome on galaxy that also had a hobby on picking locks. He was very good at it. Frightenly good

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Two lads on the amb taught themselves to pick locks on station between jobs, this was 15 years ago when it was a lot quieter. 

So sooner or later, and remember this is before bumping was more widely known, they let themselves in by picking a lock, as the

caller was collapsed in the hallway.

Also this was in the era when we still carried sledge hammers and bolt cutters on the ambulance, and apparently only had to notify

Plod for permission to use them.

Anyway plod turned up regardless and went mental, made a formal complaint about the two. That was the end of that. One of them is a doctor now...

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

47 minutes ago, norman said:

I bought the lad a set of starter picks and a clear padlock to practice on (less than a tenner from some chinky tat place) he's pretty good with standard cheapo locks. 

Teaching your kids the essentials, I like it. Should keep him out of trouble 

All he does is college work, he's not interested in gaming or other 'normal' things (yes he has a gf but she's away @ uni) I thought it would be a nice hobby.

I tried it but don't have the patience.

$_57.JPG?set_id=880000500F

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

1 hour ago, norman said:

All he does is college work, he's not interested in gaming or other 'normal' things (yes he has a gf but she's away @ uni) I thought it would be a nice hobby.

I tried it but don't have the patience.

$_57.JPG?set_id=880000500F

He eats properly as well, which is good, unlike my boy who only likes donkey poo and chips, Ive tried everything with him any tips?

He's just had a hot roast beef sandwich with me. My nephew is a nightmare and will only eat sausage (cheap ones) chips and chicken nuggets, he's 13  and now has to take supplements for his health. Mothers a social worker but has always (as has my brother) let him eat what he wants and pandered to him. 

No tips ours will try anything and don't say urghh before trying it, nothing we've actively done, just lucky I guess. 

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Ah freaky eaters,

could be touch of autism

a developed sense of smell (vegetables are mostly alkaline) the better sense of smell means they taste more bitter

problems with textures of foods

then you have the freak feeling pressured to try foods they may feel uncomfortable in tasting / other people eating foods which make the freak feel uncomfortable due smell sight whatever

age takes the edge of taste / smell problem, getting to drinking age puts the freak into social situations where they have other foods offered without pressure to try eg buffet ect...

Mr? Veritas God